Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

the "morning after" pill and mdma

**AJ**

Bluelighter
My girlfriend has been told by her doctor to <b>NEVER</b> take ecstasy while using the morning after pill. Does anyone know why this is? Would it be alright to take the morning after pill 48 hours after taking mdma? Many thanks
AJ

There is no known interaction between MDMA and the oral contraceptive pill(OCP) - certainly many BL'ers have combined the two (only one has reported OCP failure during MDMA use). The morning after pill is just two high doses of the OCP. Your g/f should ask their Dr for an explanation about this - I would love to know what they are referring to.
All I can think of is liver metabolic interactions. One component of the OCP, ethinylestradiol, is thought to be a possible inhibitor of the enzyme CYP3A4 that is responsible for part of the breakdown of MDMA. But it only breaks down around 20%, with the bulk of the job being done by CYP2D6. And plenty of people deliberately cause this inhibition by drinking grapefruit juice (a known inhibitor of CYP3A4) before MDMA and have no problems.
Also, the ethinylestradiol is also metabolised by CYP3A4, so potentially if someone took the pill at the same time as an MDMA pill, they would compete for this enzyme (only one substance can be broken down at a time). I suppose this could reduce the effeciveness of the MAP. This would be prevented by taking the MAP/OCP a few hours before the MDMA
Given that MDMA is excreted in 2-3 days, using the MAP after that would be OK. Anyone who takes the MAP frequently is probably better off on a regular OCP (the MAP is pretty unpleasant for most), but that's for your g/f and her Dr to discuss.
PS This should probably have been posted in health
[ 30 March 2002: Message edited by: babydoc_vic ]

Ive been on the depro provera (contraceptive injection), gone out and gotten myself fucked up beyond belief and not once gotten myself pregnant. But at least I didnt have to take a pill every day. Has your girlfriend considered getting a contraceptive like that?? I no theres the implenum (not sure how its spelt)?? If going and having a shot every 3 months is out of the question? Its an implantation of some sort she'l have to ask her doctor and is supposed to last 3 years.

actually i've solved the problem... the pill itslef is fine to mix with mdma, it's just the anti-nausea pills they give you with it that you can't combine with e (apparently they raise your blood pressure). thanks anyway guys!
AJ.

Ha ha ha. Not that this is funny, but it reminded me of an incident I went through with my best friend. The day before she went to a rave, her boy friends condom broke. She had to take the morning after pill. She told her doc that she’d be going to a rave that night and planned to take E and asked if there were any contraindications. The doc said that there wouldn’t be any problems except for maybe making her feel sicker than normal. (Apparently, the MAP makes you feel sick). Anyhow, she took it when she got home, and then had to take the 2nd half at 3am – while we were at the rave. I put it in my wallet, set the alarm on my mobile and when the time came, I went to get it out of my wallet and guess what no MAP. Oh well, she didn’t care; she was flying high and was having a good time. Moral of the story, don’t keep your X in the same place you keep you MAP…lol.

Aaah, now it makes sense. Is it metaclopramide? Or Stemetil? Cos these will both reduce the effects of amphetamines (they have dopamine blocking properties). Don't know about the BP increase though - usually this type of meds causes low BP, but strange things can happen when drugs are combined..