Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

1,4 Import Restrictions

Sivâ:

Bluelighter
As far as I know this is still ok to import (although probably heavily monitored now) but just wanting to get some solid clarification as to whether it has since been scheduled? Any ideas? I have checked the customs and health.gov sites but can't find any specifics. Am I checking the right sites? or has it just not been listed?
thanks very much for your help peeps!

I don't believe 1,4-Butendiol is scheduled at this time. But it doesn't mean it'll get through customs. I'm not sure but it may be on the list to be scheduled or on an amended bill that may not have been passed yet.
I highly recommended not trying to import this substance, however. It may enduce criminal litigation against you :)

well, if NZ is anything to go by....

Government to ban Fantasy drug

By Mariane Betts, Health Reporter
Dealing in the dance drug Fantasy could result in a 14-year prison sentence, after it becomes a Class B banned drug by the middle of next year, the Government announced yesterday.
Emergency department doctors are handling an increasing number of patients suffering life-threatening overdoses of Fantasy - including one in Wellington Hospital last week. A student died earlier this year.
Associate Health Minister Tariana Turia said the Fantasy range of drugs, which included gamma hydroxybutyrate (GHB), 1,4 butanediol (One4b) and GBL, should be classified as Class B under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1975.
"Three people were hospitalised over the weekend after taking Fantasy. We need to ensure that people realise the danger they are putting themselves in, if they decide to take it," Mrs Turia said.
Under the planned law change, anyone caught importing, manufacturing or supplying the drug would face up to 14 years' imprisonment. Possession could result in up to three months' imprisonment, a $500 fine, or both.
The drug is a depressant of the central nervous system; small doses have a relaxant effect and produce short-term amnesia, while slightly higher doses can stop people breathing, and cause seizures and coma.
Mrs Turia said it was important to know that the same dose could affect people in different ways. "One of the risks arises, because it has a delayed effect, so there is a much greater risk of people overdosing because they take additional doses after a short time. A euphoric dose for one person could sedate another person.
"Classification is based on the risk of harm to individuals or society. With these drugs, there is a fine line between achieving the effect the drug taker is seeking, and having an overdose resulting in potentially serious consequences."
A spokeswoman for the associate minister said those wanting to bring the substances - One4b contains the same chemical as an industrial solvent - into New Zealand for legitimate purposes would require an import licence.
The quantity being imported and who it was being sold to would be contained in the licence. If the substance was being bought for drug use from the importer, both importer and user would be prosecuted.
The Health Ministry's expert advisory committee on drugs has recommended the Fantasy range of drugs be listed under part 1 of Class B. The Cabinet has agreed and the law will be considered by the health select committee early next year.
It must then be approved by Parliament, and could come into effect before the middle of next year.
The Dominion - 13 December 2001
Article here
M

Yeah, was aware they had problems in NZ, but customs in oz were fine about it. All bottles opened but none of them were kept.
If anybody does hear anything about possible scheduling or similar could you let me know?! :)
thanks for the reply guys..

Well, the best information I can find is the following:
GHB is scheduled (listed as 4-Hydroxybutanoic acid, its salts and esters) with a "commercial quantity" of 1.0 kg, and "trafficable quantity" of 2.0 grams. I could be mistaken, but that means 1 dose is enough to be accused of trafficking. I think this implies that any possession at all will incur crushing penalties.
I believe that Australia's "analogue laws" are such that if a chemical has similar structure to a scheduled drug, then that chemical is considered an analogue of the drug. I'm not sure at this time if similar "chemical effects" can cause a chemical to be considered an analogue.
A substance ("drug analogue") is considered to be Scheduled if it is a stereoisomer, a structural isomer having the same constituent groups, an alkaloid, a structural modification, an homologue, analogue, chemical derivative or substance substantially similar in chemical structure however manufactured or actually obtained, to any chemical listed in the Schedule.
Full Schedule of Drugs of Dependence Regulations
Press releases on GHB/1,4B:
Australia:
Federal Bans On Fantasy - 11 October, 1996 - Media Release - Dr. Michael Wooldridge.
New Zealand:
GHB and 1,4-Butanediol to be classified - Thursday, 19 July 2001, 3:22 pm - Press Release - NZ Ministry of Health.
BigTrancer :)

thanks heaps.
seems like a bit of a hit-and-miss scenario when trying to imoprt, depending on the amount and customs officers..
i guess 5L would be considered to much then??

^^^
Dude, can u say ILLEGAL TO IMPORT?
And if you were to happen to import it for *cleaning* reasons you would probably have to show that you were using this "detergent" before the ban was put in action! :)
taken from BT's first Media Article
The Federal Government is also taking urgent action to list GHB as a prohibited substance, by including it in Schedule 4 of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations. This will make it illegal to import the drug into Australia without specific approval of the Federal Department of Health and Family Services.
[ 05 July 2002: Message edited by: deeCee1 ]

Originally posted by BigTrancer:
Well, the best information I can find is the following:
GHB is scheduled (listed as 4-Hydroxybutanoic acid, its salts and esters) with a "commercial quantity" of 1.0 kg, and "trafficable quantity" of 2.0 grams. I could be mistaken, but that means 1 dose is enough to be accused of trafficking. I think this implies that any possession at all will incur crushing penalties.

According to a doco on the ACT govt website (mind you this is only applicable to ACT and not to the rest of Aus, but I would imagine the rules would be similar in other states and ferally) it states the 4-hydroxy butanoic acid is a trafficable quantity at 0.5 g and commercial at 500g. Now, one does WILL get you in strife, well in the ACT it will at least.
http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/sl/1993-14/19980619-167/rtf/1993-14.rtf
I believe this url is elsewhere on the forum too.

I wonder if THF is classified as a "substantially similar" compound to GHB. It will probably be the next thing producers turn to if 1,4 B is restricted, although I imagine its not quite as OTC as the others are/were.

Even though we may not be able to confirm the restrictions on 1,4-b importation may I once again advise strongly against it.