• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Ecstasy linked to long-term brain damage Source: AAP 4/3

ReD L1nE

Bluelighter
News
Last Updated March 04, 2002 03:00 PM AEST
Ecstasy linked to long-term brain damage
Source: AAP
Small doses of ecstasy can cause brain damage, with scientists warning the drug has the potential to cause memory loss and psychological problems.
Major health problems could be expected in the future for ecstasy users, University of Adelaide researcher Rod Irvine has found.
Small doses could cause harm and the drug seemed to work on one main type of brain cell, he said.
"For many years it has been known from animal experiments that small doses of ecstasy - even if only taken on a few occasions - can cause severe damage to certain brain cells," Dr Irvine said in a statement.
"More recently, evidence has started to accumulate suggesting that this damage may also occur in humans."
He said the evidence came from brain scans and psychological assessments of ecstasy users.
"If our suspicions are proved correct, it will mean many of our young people will have memory loss or psychological problems in the future."
-----------------------------------------------
ok i just grabbed that off another forum, and this is something that maybe looks a little more genuine compared to a lot of info you see around which gives half the facts. But once again no doseages are given and the info is still restricted, and there are a lot of theories in there with little hard proof. But more or less I think its just stating the obvious
And as someone rightly pointed out on other forum alcohol has been linked to liver disease, alcoholism, kidney damage, brain damage etc... However you choose to live, there will always be consequences, and whos to say what is worse at this point in time...
[ 06 March 2002: Message edited by: ReD L1nE ]

this was in MX on Monday afternoon...
yeah, it does state the obvious a little, but the second half of the article told how ecstacy deaths in adelaide last decade were due to PMA rather than MDMA.

ah k, yeah I didnt get the whole thing from MX(whats MX?), just took it off inthemix forum
but by looks of it the PMA part you mention was probably intentionally left out on the online published version of the article. Can't have everyone knowing the truth now can we...

Quote from the West Australian concerning that study:
"The Research also found a spate of deaths associated with ecstasy in Adelaide in the mid 1990s was caused by a different STRAIN of the drug entering the state."
Gee i didnt know the various amphetamines were viruses!
I just hope that blunder was the paper's fault.

...those deaths in SA were from PMA.
as for long term brain damage....Dr. Alexander Shulgin has taken the drug on a weekly basis for over 20 years now starting when he began research in a wide range of psychoactive substances......with no problems physically or emotionally to date.
any of you who don't know who this man is or what he has done should not be here.
Alexander Shulgin...the godfather of MDMA.

I think that discussions of Dr. Shulgin's MDMA use frequency should be accompanied by a statement from him, or a preamble stating that the content of your post is your own opinion...
BigTrancer :)

ditto BT
sleeper how do you know A.S. has no memory or pschological problems - because he says so?
how do you know it might affect certain people?
you don't
we ask non-drugs users to keep an open mind - some of us need to take our own advice.

i beleive the pill referred to in "adelaide in the 90s" was a cap called the LOVE BOMB around 94 (giv or take a year, my memory is fucked guys). a friend of mine and i had bought one each together(from my pot dealer from SA at the time) B4 any of the probs were publisized, infact i never read about it other than hearing of a death or two... untill i joined BL last year. if i remember rightly the cap was 1/2 clear and 1/2 red and contained a mix of pale blue, and beige powder. i was renderred very drowsy to unconscious. though i didnt think it was anything other than very strong. my friend only had half, but he was worse than i and infact never took an "E" again!!
looking back on it we are very lucky to be alive(thank god it hit me before we got to the bar) and you guys are very lucky to know Bluelight.
stay online stay alive.

BT...i searched for the interview with ann and alexander which i must admit read over a year ago....so don't go thinking i made this up. i've read a stack of interviews i've searched on search engines but nothing.
xsiv...i don't know, but whats there to know. this person has studied the very drug we all love to take and over a hundred different other substances. this man has made the study of these substances his 'life'...