Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Duromine (Phentermine HCl) - info needed

lazer licker

Bluelighter
ok, so i did something stupid. i tried a drug without knowing about it. It fucking works. I can still feel the effects of it 24hrs later.
Those of u who know anything about this drug, can u plz tell me. I am coming down like a fat bitch. I also drank heaps of alcohol. Is this bad?
Sorry i'm being lazy. I just need to know.
Cheers
[Edit: Active chemical name in title corrected. BigTrancer :) ]
[ 21 February 2002: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

yup it's a stupid thing to do, but it happens...
The active ingredient in Duromine is phentermine hydrochloride, not (phenamine). It's described as a "weight loss" medication, ie a "diet pill". so are you really a fat bitch? ;)
here's the daggiest link i could find. i didn't even know telstra had a health page:
http://healthanswers.telstra.com/drugdata/appco/00097453.asp
here's a more technical data sheet:
http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Profs/Datasheet/d/durominecap.htm
this bit is interesting:
Alcohol may increase CNS side effects such as dizziness, light-headedness and confusion and its concurrent use should be avoided with DUROMINE. Serotonin reuptake inhibitors and tricyclic antidepressants may interact with DUROMINE by increasing serotonin levels, and DUROMINE should be used with caution in those taking these agents. Since the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (eg fluoxetine, sertraline, fluvoxamine, paroxetine), ergot derived drugs and clomipramine affect serotonin metabolism there remains a theoretical risk that combination of these agents with phentermine may also be associated with cardiac valvular disease, although there is no direct scientific evidence to confirm this theory.
[ 21 February 2002: Message edited by: johnboy ]

Basically, Duromine contains the active chemical Phentermine HCl. It's normally prescribed as an appetite suppressant, and it has many of the common effects to the other drugs in this class, amphetamines.
Duromine Data Sheet
RxList.com's Phentermine HCl Section
Phentermine HCl supposedly operates on the hypothalamus, but also has significant dopaminergic and noradrenergic properties (ie. it makes you release dopamine and noradrenaline).
NOTE: DO NOT MIX PHENTERMINE WITH MAOIs.
Bigtrancer :)

As Johnboy said, it wasn't smart. That drug can have reactions with others.
I beleive that Duromine is an SSRI. In many ways it acts like speed, but is far more of an appetite suppressant than any club drug than I am aware of.
If you have taken any MAOI's in the last two weeks, then steer clear of Duromine at all costs. Even something as simple as St Johns Wart may have implications. Many people got fucked over by taking the combination weight loss drug fen-phen(teremine). Be careful.
If anyone gets pescribed this shit, never take it any longer than two months. It can make you grossly irratable over time. I know because I was on it for a while.
[ 21 February 2002: Message edited by: Raving Loony ]

Thank u guys. i really appreciate it. My friend that had it described to him told me it was for ADD... ?
But i'm so with the appetite suppressant theory. i haven't really eaten for 2 days. Just not hungry. But i will force something down now. And no, i'm not a fat bitch! (No offence to fat bitches out there)
I have been really sketchy all day. short and abrupt sentences. quite the space cadet.
Hopefully i'll wake up normal tommorrow. I was going to have some more on the weekend, but now i don't think i will.
Cheers, LL

I beleive that Duromine is an SSRI.
It doesn't interact with seratonin directly and isn't really an SSRI, but it can have bad interactions with other drugs that ARE SSRI's and therefore lead to worse problems that are seratonin related.

Phentermine HCl is related chemically and pharmacologically to the amphetamines.
Also please note that mixing alcohol with Phentermine HCl can result in an adverse drug interaction.
BigTrancer :)

This link includes a list of MAOI's that are commonly listed. If you do take Duromine, do take careful note as to whether or not you have taken any of these recently.