Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Daily Telegraph Jan 3 2002: Drug Dealers Cash in on Harry Potter

boom

Bluelighter
Just reading the tele today and there is an interesting article on the harry potter pills.
Seems as though they believe that these pills have the harry potter logo to entice children and target a younger audience into taking xtc, this just seems bizzare to me, how is a 12 year old going to know about xtc.
The article also has a screenshot of Pill Reports, as it has info relevant to the pill.
Here are some quotes:
"It's an attempt to target the young and vunerable market by trying to normalizeecstasy and make it trendy" - Dr. Gullotta
"Bev Baker yesterday condemned the marketing ploy, saying it could lead to children believing that ecstacy provides magical powers"
"It could lead children into believe it can give them the same powers as Harry Potter" - Bev Baker
"Harry Potter books have enticed children away from from the internet, the new ecstacy tablet is an attempt to draw them back" - Bev Baker
This article is insane, well to me anyway, it seems that these older generations are so incredibley detached from what actually happens as far as drugs are concearned.
To think that this logo is an actual marketing ploy by the drug dealers, however there is room for this belief, but surley its a little far fetched ??
The editorial is also insane, however i cant find a link to it so i will type it out:
"At its best, the internet is a great tool, placing at our fingertips the combined knowledge of humanity. At its worst, it provides sites with chat roomsd where adolescents can trade in drugs.
There can be no mistaking the target audience of these dubious sites. On one particular site , the effects of an ecstacy tablet named after Harry Potter are openly discussed.
Authorities should do everything in their power to close down this and other drug sites and, where possible, bring charges."
This is a prime example of what johnboy explained in another post recently that i will try and dig up. And here it is :D
Originally posted by johnboy:
Look, in case people dont see the government's logic on this let me explain...
They are fully covered legally, and in their minds, ethically, as they have already stated that taking "Ecstasy" is dangerous. They say "Don't take any pills because they are all harmful in some way, and some might kill you".
This is the central philosophy of the Prohibitionist stance. If you believe that prohibition works then it is no great leap of logic to believe what was stated above. It's a lot like arguing with a fundamentalist Christian about gay rights. To them it's a mater of faith that God exists, and God said this so there's no arguement.
Luckily for us there are less and less fundamentalists running things. The tide of public feeling, and government action, is slowly turning against prohibition. But don't expect miracles overnight...

Here are some links to the story:
Drug Dealers cash in on Harry Potter
[ 03 January 2002: Message edited by: boom ]
[ 03 January 2002: Message edited by: boom ]

that is crap DD surely just make logo's they think are different and catchy to older ppl at the time....? Not to target certain bloody age groups geez....
So are they saying that mercedes and audi TT pills are targetted at older? pfft.
What about teletubbies maybe they are for little toddlers too?? :) ummm no.

Same old story --> last time I heard it they were talking about Mickey Mouse on sheets of acid I think.
It's so absurd that it's not even worth getting worked up over it.

Its just amazing to see how incredibly ignorant the majority of ppl are about this subject
I mean do they seriously picture drug dealers gathering in a conferance room having a meeting about marketing strategies for the next year or so.
Gawd its crazy! I have updated my post with the editorial if ur interested ^^

I mean do they seriously picture drug dealers gathering in a conferance room having a meeting about marketing strategies for the next year or so. haha no but i think whichever news company released this article MUST have had a meeting and decided there was nothing better to create a story from nothing on. :D

On an interesting side note, weren't the harry potters around awhile ago (im out of date on wots wot as i havent dropped in months) like before the movie?? Are they even still in circulation.
Now if i was a drug marketing business (and i hear its a pretty hard degree at tafe to obtain) i would have planned a co-release with the movie :D
robE i think ur right the tele must be scraping the barrel for stories other than terrorists and bush fires.

Why would drug dealers bother "targeting" a younger audience?
young children don't have any money.
It's not like chemists have any trouble offloading their product anyway, demand far outweighs supply.
I wonder if the reporter actually believed what they were reporting or they were stuck for something and thought it would make a good story.

Yeh my cats breat often smells too, but wot smells worse is her breath :D

I wince when I read such words. It is truly a shame that such ignorant fools are behind the media which is fed to society.
It would be laughable if it weren't so sad.

you mean there are pills out there with harry potter on them? fuck, i better go out and see the movie now.
*runs off to buy harry potter merchandise*

^^^ thats the only type of marketing i could see coming from this :p

So using this theory if we have a pill with the teletubbies on it then it is trying to encourage 3 y.o. to take them.
What a crock of shit.

i tend to disagree with alot of you,
i have witnessed the fanatism of little kids towards harry potter.
and if they found a pill on the ground with harry potter on it, you can beat they would swallow it without a second throught.
On a slightly related note, sif LOTR doesn't make the fatest drug references with everyone always smoking 'weed'.

Krazey u have sortof missed the point tho, wot this report is saying is that the drug dealers and producers made the pills with a Harry Potter stamp/logo to entice young kids to take ecstasy. To actually target a certain age group.
Your example isnt what the report is saying

wierd concidence time:
i was reading the Canberra Times last week, and saw they had picked up this story. In their brief, one paragraph version they actually mentioned pillreports by name, only (and this is where it gets weird) they made a typo, and gave the url as www.pillreport.com.
i was grumpy for a second, seeing the missing s, but now it doesn't matter, as that address will now work. all we need now is to have the www.pillreports.com address back as well.
(don't get me started on the idiocy of a certain someone leaving it till the last possible moment to re-register our domain name, if indeed that is what happened... grumble grumble...)