Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald-Sun 11 Dec 01: Driver drug checks rejected

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Driver drug checks rejected
By PETER MICKELBUROUGH
11dec01

POLICE have rejected calls for random roadside saliva tests to combat drugged driving.
Shadow attorney-general Robert Dean called for saliva tests yesterday after a national survey found almost one in five young drivers believed it was safer to drive after taking drugs than after drinking.
Dr Dean said roadside saliva or sweat testing had been recommended in a drug driving report released under the Kennett government.
Assistant Commissioner (traffic) Ray Shuey said saliva tests had been rejected before physical drug tests were introduced here last December.
More than 200 drivers have been drug tested in the past year, with many testing positive to cocktails of illicit and prescription drugs.
Full article at: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,3409845%255E2862,00.html
BigTrancer :)

Blitz on drug-driving
By PETER MICKELBUROUGH, chief police reporter
20dec01

VICTORIA faces a drug-driving blitz after hundreds of motorists were caught driving under the influence of deadly drug cocktails.
Heroin, methadone, and tranquillisers such as Valium, marijuana and amphetamines have been detected in motorists in the last year.
Assistant Commissioner (Traffic) Ray Shuey said results showed dangerous levels of impairment equal to blood alcohol readings of up to 0.2 -- four times the legal limit.
Mr Shuey warned that even more drivers would be tested next year.
He said those caught so far were just the tip of the iceberg...
Full article at: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,3466674%255E661,00.html
Well that didn't last long. Is it the police or the herald-sun that can't get their story straight? Pretty even chance of either I guess.

*sarcasm on*
I love the way that they group all drugs into one lump, and alcohol is a totally different prospect.

I didnt think they could do tests that would test if you'd taken drugs in the past however many hrs or whatever. Or if you were intoxicated.
Like would a saliva test show up traces of weed if u'd smoked much earlier in the day or what?
Adikkal

From memory wasnt their idea to give you a gameboy and see how good you were at space invaders or something ;)
I think there drugs tests were more along the lines of if an officer thought you looked wasted or under the influence and then you failed their secondary tests, like walking in a line and some simple motor skills tests or the gameboy test, then they took you for a blood test.
I couldnt imagine a saliva test could be all that acurate could it? I mean wouldn't simply brushing your teeth and gargling some mouthwash before you go for a drive clear you up?
.... or am I way off here?
[ 20 December 2001: Message edited by: Fry-d- ]

Minister to combat drugs use on roads
By PETER MICKELBUROUGH, chief police reporter
21dec01

DRIVERS who test positive to illicit drugs could automatically lose their licence under a proposal being considered by the State Government.
Police Minister Andre Haermeyer said yesterday he had asked the ministerial road safety committee to investigate the possibility of automatic licence loss for drivers found to be using illicit drugs.
But he dismissed Opposition calls for random roadside saliva testing of drivers to be trialled, saying such tests were unreliable.
Mr Haermeyer said the advice from police was that the current system was the best available because existing saliva tests did not show how drug-affected a driver was.
RACV public policy manager Dr Ken Ogden said overseas saliva trials had been disappointing.
"We know that a lot of work has gone into developing the current legislation and we would not like to see it undermined because it's in its infancy," he said...
Full article at: http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,3473185%255E2862,00.html
Does he just paraphrase the same article daily from different perspectives?

Yeah but I guess at the end of the day we shouldn't be driving, really! But yeah nice reprting H-S, NOT!

hmm yeah gotta stay away from the car when out of it. i did one of those defensive driving courses and it makes you realise how easy it is to lose control. wouldnt want to be in that sort of situation even if i was just a bit stoned. anyway... cheers BT

i don't think it's something that the government can afford to ignore. and as much as some people bag them for some of the lines they spin, the fact is that it's a GOOD thing that they're trying to catch and punish people driving on drugs.
i personally couldn't give a stuff if you get well-fucked on whatever drug takes your fancy and stumble around your home or a club. but if you get behind the wheel it's just plain dangerous and that has to be stopped.
so good on the government for trying, and if they're not being effective at least it raises public awareness that driving on drugs is not safe or acceptable.

does anyone know HOW they test you at the moment? and if they are planning to do any kind of testing new years day?
thanks guys.
p.s. so unfair that on alcohol you can get away with soooo much more than on drugs...imho they are both very similar.