Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

'flagging' of SMS's

dingleberries

Bluelighter
i was talking to someone last week and they said that if any words relating to criminal activity appear in an SMS sent from your phone, it is flagged, and after about 5 flags Big Brother is allowed to tap your phones, search your house or whatever. Drug induced paranoia or fact?

Probably a combination of both - the technology definitely exists, but as for whether it's allowed to be used is another matter. And I'm pretty sure that if they wanted to use it in court then they'd need a warrent prior to capturing your SMS's, so they'd need evidence from another source too...
But what it really boils down to is don't send drug related SMS's, or at the very least be a bit vague...

But if "they" are flagging certain words doesn't that presuppose that sms messages are already being monitored and that we are being watched?
Furthermore, most drug related words also have everyday applications. How can "they" then differentiate between drug related words being used in suspicious cirmcumstances and drug related words being used in their normal everyday manner? Or do these people also get flagged?

So your friend rekons that an SMS with 'any' word relating to criminal activity will pop up a little message on someones computer somewhere. That would be one shiteload of people's SMS they would be sifting through.
I'm very very sceptical.
But if your silly enough to send messages in which you make it quite clear and specific about what your trading in then you could be asking for trouble if someone ever did have reasonable suspicion to put a real trace on your calls. I usually talk/sms in some form of code anyway just in case the folks are listening in on your phone calls or for the odd chance someone who shouldnt be reading your messages looks over your shoulder.
You can never be to paranoid can you ;)

This isn't really a Drug Discussion topic, but as it involves security and legal issues surrounding drug information exchange, we'll leave it here.
This 'SMS flagging' might be a little unwieldy to implement, due to the sheer volume of data that would have to be scanned. I'm not sure about the technology or processing requirements (I'll leave the calculations to someone else hehe) but the Telstra website suggests Australian SMS usage tops upwards of 300 million messages a month. This may not seem huge, but according to the GSM association, the global market is close to (or perhaps now greater than) 1 billion SMS messages per day.
Even if one SMS in every ten thousand messages sent is flagged and stored, this equates to five and a half gigabytes of SMSs per year that must be stored and sorted through by investigators... whether this is feasible is beyond me, but it sounds like a bit of a hassle.
BigTrancer :)

Yes, false matches would be a problem -- for instance I make heaps of references to drugs in my SMSes, yet I've never dealt, never taken and never possessed drugs!
BILL
--
"I wouldn't know a psychedelic even if I accidently swallowed it, became God and was watching the universe be created."

just have one question im unsure about...4 MAR and meth are not the same thing??? is that right? thats what i thought.....im not sure if thats right tho...anyone?

dingleberries, all our buying is done through SMS. Almost everyone I know buys their stuff through SMS messages to dealers...
So when all my mates and myself get put in jail (or is that gaol?) I'll let you know to stop sending SMS's :)

Hamlet... dude.. I think you should put down the crack pipe NOW!! I said now damnit! That question was a little left field I guess from a different thread? Anyway yep they are both different though sometimes commonly reffered to as the same thing ICE though they shouldnt be I think? thats where the confusion comes from...
*back on topic*

hmmm....yes....sorry about posting that here guys...was supposed to go to another thread i had open, but i must have confused them...and accidently posted here....
thanks anyways nickstar *hangs head in shame and puts his pipe away for good* ;)

In 2000, the courts in Victoria issued about 264 warrants for phone taps, roughly half of which were related to burglaries or rape. The source of this info was an article in The Age about July of this year (I wish they had searchable archives!). It's a fair bet to assume that the other approx 132 interceptions were drug related. Now, do you honestly think you're in the top 132 drug dealers in this state and as such, have somehow attracted the attention of the constabulary? No. Do you know anyone who's primary method of getting caught was via SMS or phone taps? No. And I mean "KNOW", not HEARD OF. Because we've all "heard" plenty of things about phone taps and SMS interception, most of it bollocks. Besides, with practically anonymous use of the public GSM network easily within reach of anyone smart enough to use prepaid, it's hardly a service worth tapping now is it!
There's so many fcuk*ing MYTHS surrounding phone taps. It's a labour intensive, slow and intrusive process, infinging lots of personal rights (yes, criminals do have them till they're proven to be a crim). In short - phone taps are very hard to justify, and courts demand more than a hunch to issue a warrant to tap phones. If your phone is tapped, it's to seal your fate in court (not land you there in the first place). It's my guess that the primary method by which drug-related criminals are identified and further investigation is justified would be via tip-offs, observations, the usual busts in clubs or doing actual deals. By the time your phone is tapped, that's the END of the cycle of investigation by police, not the beginning - you're going down and going down HARD. Nuff said.

If you were a dealer, I'd worry less about the phone taps (because if you're careful and don't be too blatant you should be relatively inconspicuous)... and more about the 10-15 cars that pull up your driveway at home every night and stay for 10 mins and leave again...
Many, many, tight operations that should have known better have been undone by anonymous calls to CrimeStoppers from little old busybodies being suspicious about the 'house down the street'.
BigTrancer :)

I think for certain the technology does exist to do what has been suggested, ie the ability to scan and 'document' every sms that gets sent.
see
Echelon FAQ
... its just like everything... better to be safe then sorry.