• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids how to go about getting on subx/methadone

RedRum OG

Bluelighter
so heres the situation. i want to get off oxy and morph but i do not want to detox on my own. i wont make the leap unless im sure that i will be able to do suboxone or methadone treatment.

i do 80-200mg oxy a day sometimes another 100mg of morphine thrown in there. if ive been at this for about a year would a doctor give me a script for methadone or subs?

also im 19 but just moved back in with my parents. any suggestions on what to say to them? i would really like to keep them in the dark but i dont think i could pay for my own prescription. im pretty sure i am on their health insurance plan but i feel like they would somehow be notified of my extra prescription

im actualy in the same boat as you are only im 18 im trying to stop right now and wana get on subs but am undecided about it,but a doctor really shouldnt have a problem getting you on a suboxone script if your going to go on methadone your guna have to go to a clinic and your parents would not even now about it.

I was in the same boat as you 3 months ago until I went to the methadone clinic here without my parents knowing and they still don't know about me going there. Your parents will be able to see any kind of medications that their insurance pays for, so don't do that unless you want to get caught by your parents.

In an ideal situation, sit down and talk to your parents before you go and be honest with them that you want bupe or methadone, not rehab for whatever reason. Good luck man.

do methadone clinics just give out the syrup daily dose? cuz im busy with shit i would only go to methadone clinic if it was a script i would only have to fill once a month or whatever.

also im curious about suboxone. does it have to be a special doctor to prescribe it? or could i just go to my usual doc and tell him the situation and get it prescribed?

Last edited:
^^ you WILL need to go to the clinic everyday except sunday to dose until you qualify for takehomes which only happens after a minimum of 3mos...

Depending on your state, you can usually get weekly takehomes after 9mos. Here are the FED guidelines/regs

How to Get a Take Home Dose as Soon as Possible

1.You must show (through random drug testing – a minimum of 8 instances per year) no evidence of drug abuse.
2.You must attend the clinic on your appointed schedule
3.You must show appropriate behavior
4.You must not engage in criminal activity
5.You must show a stable home and stable non drug-related relationships
6.You must promise to store take home methadone appropriately and safely
And…

1.The doctor must believe that the risks of diversion associated with giving you a take home dose of methadone are overshadowed by the benefits of easing reporting demands.
2.You must meet the minimum time in treatment regulations. (see as follows)
Essentially, you must prove to the medical staff at the clinic that you are serious about your recovery on methadone, and that you can be trusted to use methadone safely at home.

Time in Treatment Requirements
The following are mandatory minimum standards for the allowance of take home doses. You will not be allowed take home doses in excess of the following.

•Days 1-90 – A maximum of 1 scheduled take home dose per week, as well as a take home dose for one day if the clinic closes on Sunday.
•Days 90-180 – A maximum of 2 scheduled take home doses per week as wells as a take home dose for the one day a week the clinic will close.
•Days 180-270 – A maximum of 3 scheduled take home doses per week + 1 for days the clinic is closed.
•Days 270-365 – Up to 6 take home doses per week.
•Year 2 - Twice a month reporting.
•Year 3 – Once a month reporting.

You can get a monthly script for subs right away if you find the right dr who must have a special license to prescribe.

http://www.buprenorphine-doctors.com/find-a-doctor.cfm

^thank you very much that was incredibly helpful

im curious about sub doctors- are they expensive usually? and is there any alternative to telling my parents about it? i cant really see any way around that :(

I get mine from VA hospital so it free. Suggest you go to suboxone mega thread. i've seen costs posted anywhere from $250-$1000 initially plus prescription. Many insurance plans cover this or a good portion of it.

i do 80-200mg oxy a day sometimes another 100mg of morphine thrown in there. if ive been at this for about a year would a doctor give me a script for methadone or subs?

If you are a pain patient, you can get a methadone prescription.

If you are just an addict, you can go to the methadone clinic on a daily basis, or you can get a prescription for Suboxone.

I asked my mom to help me and we googled suboxone doctors. We found one in our area and called and they made an appointment for me the same day. I am 18 by the way so I would just tell your parants you need help. When I got to the doctor he scripted me suboxone film strips 8mg and 0.5mg klonopin to take as needed and trazadone to sleep which I don't take. So it's pretty easy this was like 2 weeks ago and am already down to 2mg's a day.