• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids how to get your tolerance level down after long term opiate use?

HT harm redux

Bluelighter
I have been using opiates (mainly prescribed) for about 5 years now. my high points of usage were 8-10 roxies a day and later on 200mg of morphine and 60mg of oxycodone per day. i have now lowered my dose to just 40 mg of opana per day with no break through meds. and i detoxed terribly when coming down to the opana from 200mg of morphine a day. i thought that would lower my tolerance but it seems it hasnt. i dont go through withdrawals anymore on the 20mg opana twice a day but when i decide to take my oxy breakthrough meds i dont feel anything. even with as high a dose as 80mg in one sitting on the opana. I dont feel it at all. not even very good pain relief anymore. Whats a way i can lower my tolerance so that i can feel the opiates again? Ive heard that DXM can help as well as zinc and magnesium. but do those only help make you feel a lower dose? or do they actually work to lower tolerance over a period of time? any input would be greatly appreciated. because now even grape fruit juice doesnt help anymore.

Nice to see a fellow Georgian on here man. Unfortunately after 6 years of opiate abuse, the only ways that I have found to lower tolerance is to stop using strong opiates for months and then try again, this of course can be dangerous so I would not advise in doing this.

yea ive heard horror stories of people detoxing fully and being clean for a long period of time then jumping right back on to the dose they were at and ODing. would it be safe to quit for a long period of time and then start small with like 5 to 10 mg of vicodin or something like that? something that would make a person with no tolerance feel good?

^ I would start low like you said after taking a long break to be on the safe side, but your tolerance will be just where it was within a week or two of using IME.

dang . what if i only use every few days and dont make it a daily thing and take those suppliments to keep my tolerance low? will it still grow back as bad?

Could you honestly not use every single day? I know I couldn't. It's hard to tell, because everyone's body is so different, I was speaking from personal experience as well as what I have heard from several friends and bluelighters.

ohh ok. as of now like i mentioned i barely ever use breakthru meds. so i reallly think i could use them sparingly once i get off the opana. its just gonna be a beast again to get off the opana. which withdrawal to you think would be worse. getting of 200 mg of morphine by taking 40mg opana and 100mg of oxycodone. or getting off 40mg of opana per day taking nothing?

Abstaining from opiates is the way to lower your tolerance. Dudes right about that.

And hes right about it being potentially dangerous to get back on them. Duh :).

Once after abstaining from heroin for 4 months, I used (smoked a few points) and became violently ill, vommitting constantly all day into the nightime. Just a little bit of "shitty black tar" fucked me up so bad I THREW AWAY THE REST OF THE HALF.

So, be careful when you veer from the straight n narrow.

Try switching to low dose suboxone for a month or 2. im talkin 1mg or less.

does the trick for me for awhile at least.

The only thing that lowers tolerance is tapering down very low for a long time and/or time with no opioids in you at all. 4 months ago i was taking 3-4mgs of suboxone daily and couldn't really get very high on heroin even days after taking any bupe even when IVing 10 good bags. A month ago i had been taking .5mgs of bupe daily for a month, and jumped off to kratom for a week and a half, then got extremely fucked up after snorting 2 good bags. So in 4 months of tapering i went from not getting high IVing 10 bags to getting completely fucked from sniffing 2-3 bags.

ohh ok. as of now like i mentioned i barely ever use breakthru meds. so i reallly think i could use them sparingly once i get off the opana. its just gonna be a beast again to get off the opana. which withdrawal to you think would be worse. getting of 200 mg of morphine by taking 40mg opana and 100mg of oxycodone. or getting off 40mg of opana per day taking nothing?

IME opana is harder to get off the morphine cuz i believe its stronger then morph. I'm a daily opana user and I have a thread floating around BDD because i went like 2-3 week period where I couldn't feel any oxymorph no matter how much i did and i couldn't figure it out. Then one day I blew 20mgs and was out of this world high... With no breaks or anything, nothing different. Couldn't figure it out

But aside from my ramble, to answer ur ? I think opana is harder to come off but it's prolly gonna be the same feelin as morph.

And the only way to bring down tolerance is time off..like atleast a month IME

Once you get to the point where it takes over 100mg of oxy to do ANYTHING to you, its time to be honest with yourself and its BEST to just take it as a loss.

What I mean is, realize that you have wasted as much of your life as the drugs are worth, and that taking more drugs will just waste more life without any value.

In other words, its time to quit.

I have quit for over 2 years in the past , only to realize that my tollerance was litterally exactly where it left off after just ONE use.

For me, there is no point to using opiates to try to get high anymore in the rest of my life. It just doesnt work anymore, or its not worth it due to tolerance and money etc.

You can save yourself a lot of heartbreak if you just realize this now, and move on to something else with your life.

And the only way to bring down tolerance is time off

/thread. The only way that you're going to truly bring opioid tolerance down is to discontinue for a period of time sufficient for your receptors to up-regulate.

The magic feeling you got when you first did narcotics seems so far away...Tolerance comes
very quickly. Just look at your pills and sing"You've lost that loving feeling"

yea. it seems as if all hopes are lost to get a good feeling from opes anymore (even sufficient pain relief) and i wouldnt consider myself an addict per say, but attempting to feel good by taking high amounts would lead me to believe otherwise. is it possible that I just need to switch opiates? wont cross tolerance be lower if i switched to something like dilaudid? i see my new pain doctor wednesday and was thinking of getting dilaudids, seeing as how ive been on them before and they were quite effective for me even when i was banging roxys. for now im just gonna take magnesium and a regiment of dxm to see if that helps. i wanna get off the opana but i dont wanna do it cold turkey so im waiting to see what the doctor on wednesday gives me, and if it is sufficient i will get off the opana and just be on IR medication. and i think that would be easier to ween off of than a long acting opiate.

And thank you all for the advice. just thought id throw that in there. I really appreciate it