• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids quitting oxy's can this tapper idea work

lman_15

Bluelighter
I've been using 80mg oxy OR 40mg oxy & a 60mg morphine OR 40mg oxy & a 18mg hyrdomorphone every day for the past 5-6 months.. usually i use a low dose (i.e. 40mg oxy & 18mg hydromorphone sunday-thursday) and then a high dose 80-120mg oxy friday and saturday.. yesterday i used 2 18mg hydros nd 40-60mg oxy and today i used around 80-90mg oxy.. tomorrow i will use an 80mg oxy as well.. i need to quit using oxy's just wanna move on with my life nd save some cash.. I have 5 80mg oxy's, 1 20mg oxy, and 12 10mg oxy's as well as a bunch of hydro's probably 20-30 (18mg) and 2 60mg morphines, a bag of H, and a percoset.. I was thinking the best approach would be tapering off.. I figure this sunday do a 18mg hydro and 40 oxy cotin, i will continue using this dose until the following sunday.. then i figure i should drop my oxy dose by 1/2 every week and then let it satablize at that new tolerance for a week then drop it again.. example: 40mg oxy and 18mg hydro for a week.. then 20mg oxy and 18mg hydro for a week.. then 10mg oxy 18mg hydro for a week.. then 5mg oxy 18mg hydro for a week.. then 18mg hydro for a week. 9mg hydro for a week then 4.5mg hydro for a week..

will this work? any advice for taper? anyway i could do this idea in a better way? thanks

i read you shouldn't give advice if you don't know what your talking about,i know what i have done to kickin my 36 yrs of using opiates...if it was me i wouldn't worry about cutting down a mg here and mg there,i would just use up what i had and just deal with the wd,but that's just me,do you plan on staying off drugs?i probally have kicked on my own 50 time atleast,but always used again,did the methedone maint for a few yrs,got locked up,had to quit c turk,that's no fun......after all my time abusing opiates,i have found that i will never get clean....but now all i do is take 32mg of suboxone a day,for over 2 yrs now and life is much better,and i no longer drink or use any other drugs,good luck to you what ever you decide

i should of read your thread topic closer,you have only been using 6 mo?man you should be able to kick fairly easy,also read you no longer want to take drug,that is great news,maybe check out aa or na,i'm thinking you are in your 20's ,just remember the older you get the harder it gets to quit,i'm talking phiscally,again good luck to you,i know i'm new here but you can pm me any time,i'm no expert on anything but have been through a lot with opiates and do understand how they make us feel

i read you shouldn't give advice if you don't know what your talking about,i know what i have done to kickin my 36 yrs of using opiates...if it was me i wouldn't worry about cutting down a mg here and mg there,i would just use up what i had and just deal with the wd,but that's just me,do you plan on staying off drugs?i probally have kicked on my own 50 time atleast,but always used again,did the methedone maint for a few yrs,got locked up,had to quit c turk,that's no fun......after all my time abusing opiates,i have found that i will never get clean....but now all i do is take 32mg of suboxone a day,for over 2 yrs now and life is much better,and i no longer drink or use any other drugs,good luck to you what ever you decide

good advice..

When your an addict tapering is to difficult, you'll end up just getting high. Using suboxone or even tramadol and using that to taper will be a much better bet. I used tramadol recently coming down a 300 mg IV OC habit, stopped the tramadol after two weeks, coming off at 150 mg tramadol and I felt shitty for a few days but nothing like a CT withdrawal would have felt like. Then again when I did the tramadol taper I just sat in me bed doing nothing for two weeks.

Tapering is a great move however there is no way to guage what decrease is the best even if all the variables are known. In any event, I've always found things work better if I just take enough in the taper off period to alleviate most of the symptoms. If you take just enough to lessen the w/d but not enough to "feel it" (i.e. get high) you should be able to taper off quite comfortably. Based on the info you've provided I think you should have more than enough product to do this.

Obviously the difficulty for you is not taking enough per milligram to get high. I don't fully undertand the biomechanics involved however as you are decreasing your dose and increasing the interval between doses, you are allowing your CNS to reset a little at a time. I would suggest to anyone who has enough product to do a slow taper to initially wait until you really start feeling the w/d then take just enough to alleviate the symptoms. It can be frustrating as you're mind and body are accostomed to that high, so it might help finding a support group, family, friends, anything to keep your mind focused on what you need to do.

N/A doesn't appeal much to me for various reasons but my wife loves it. You might want to check out a few meetings or some outpatient programs if your financial or insurance situation allows for it. Simply having someone help keep you on your taper regimen could go a long way. You don't have to do this on your own if you don't want to.

Good luck!