• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Question regarding a future career and a drug charge...

Merkatroid

Bluelighter
Sorry for posting so much
smile.gif
just one more question...
Hypothetically speaking, say i was studying law or something similar, I use pills in moderation, but one day/night, i get busted. I am charged with posession. What would happen to my future career? Would I be stuffed?
As you can see, i'm NOT studying law or similar, or else i would have been able to answer this question and not post it on a message board..hehe.
For those of you who are studying the above, if there is a chance that by doing what we do, you may lose a chance at practising what you have studied for (IF that's the case)...do you think about it?
Thank you, and goodnight.

If they record a conviction then it makes it pretty damn hard (if not impossible)...
I'm not sure of the specfics, but it's sort of a case of "if you can't to the time, don't do the crime"... it's not likely they'll record an conviction on a first offence for one single pill, so if you plan on a career in Law or something, I'd make sure that it was only a single pill. If you get caught with a big bag of them then you'd have to get a good lawyer...
Hope that helps...
smile.gif

Thanks Pleonastic...
smile.gif

Yeah, it's not for me, but i was thinking the same thing. The statement you made "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime" is sooo true...i'm constantly surprised by how many people i know that are studying law or similar, and don't even give it a second thought...but anyway, something for people to think about.
smile.gif

Pleo: i was of the understanding that prior low level drug convictions (ie: possession) were no real barrier to being allowed to practice law (getting a job is a different matter - community law all the way). I thought the relevant bodies (ie: vic institute of law etc) were much more oppressive over white collar type crimes. If you get done for fraud then you can kiss any legal career goodbye. I'm pretty sure this is the case.
Been flipping thru the Law Institute of Victoria's admission rules and can't seem to find anything either way...

You're probably right - although it'd have to have some kind of effect I'd assume... I was more refering to the "something similar" that Merkatroid referred to though.
I am pretty sure it'd do your chance of entering the medical field (pharmacy for example)... but once again I don't know the specifics...
smile.gif

its funny you brought this up... i have often talked about this with a friend of mine.
but i think it is purely a case of them assuming that they'll never get caught.
in reality, its not only a job you might not be able to get, but also travel overseas, etc.
Maxi

yeah sorry, i became a little uni-directional in my thoughts. Pharmacists/students (and i would expect doctors) are probably tampering a bit further with their careers. A discussion of it exists here in this thread. I guess if you're dealing with drugs day in day out then a drug offence is a bad thing - if you're dealing with money day in day out then a fraud charge is bad (ie: accountants / lawyers etc). It is scarey the number of law students that partake in 'illegal' activity - but hopefully it will mean that future lawyers/judges/politicians have a slightly different stance on some close to the heart issues....
smile.gif

nice work elver...
and dont worry about posting heaps merk, plenty others do, and for a greenlighter your asking better questions than some bluelighter
smile.gif

**ducks flying debris**
umm but as for other professions, psychology and pharmacy are two that a mid-level drug conviction can almost write off your career. doctors have it a bit easier, except for psychiatrists and such...
of course then there are professions in which you have people lives in your hands, which often require frequent drug testing, so pretty much makes it impossible for a bit of rec. drug use... (by the way i do agree with this, i dont want some guy operating a grader that i'm driving past to be scat from the weekend before)
smile.gif

Ask prometheus....
He's a mod in legal now... He'll know.
*we hope*
------------------
If I melt dry ICE, do you think I can swim without getting wet?

Ahh - i tried, but i couldn't stay away..
Up here, i've been informed by academics and barristers that the main crimes that fuck you up are dishonesty offences (eg fraud, theft, forgery) and violent offences (assault, murder, rape). If you got done for supply or trafficking, etc then that would make it interesting.
Metro - yes i am in that field, and yes i am worried about it. That's why there's never any silly stuff around.