Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Not enough evidence for memory loss.

Leprechaun

Bluelighter
Unfortunatly there is just not enough hard evidence and not enough research performed to get the facts. Here is one of the best memory loss overviews!
smile.gif

Enjoy! http://www.maps.org/research/mdma/gamma2000.pdf

[aggressive and self-proclaimed as uninformed comment deleted]
[This message has been edited by entropope (edited 14 October 2001).]

What we're talking about here is what is proven. To quote the ar ticle you didn't read "We do not clearly know whether MDMA worsens memory and what and how other
factors
may contribute to this process.
"
You only have to read the conclusion of this article to get the main idea.
"The majority of studies, including the methodologically most sound ones, found
worse memory performance in regular Ecstasy users who had typically been
exposed to the drug several times per month for over a year. These differences were
mostly moderate, with test scores usually in the normal range. Currently the most
plausible explanations for these findings are MDMA-induced (potentially neurotoxic)
changes in the brain serotonin system (which may be amplified in recreational
settings involving hot ambient temperatures and dehydration), and cannabis use.
Further, a stressful lifestyle with insufficient sleep, recuperation and food intake may
also adversely affect memory. Finally, the possibility of relevant pre-existing, possibly
subclinical, differences cannot be excluded. The question of recovery of memory with
increasing time of drug abstinence is not settled and represents one of the most
pressing issues for future research in this area. Likewise, future studies need to
isolate the possibly substantive contribution of lifestyle to the observed memory
impairments.
"
One suggestion that arises from this is that no... the memory loss associated with MDMA use is not necessarily due to MDMA, but more likely it is due to the way in which you use MDMA. ie 3 times a month, and go out clubbing and stay up for 12 hours dancing, and smoke weed with it and take high doses (over 100-130mg 3 times a month)
I'll admit it, I've taken pills before
smile.gif
About once or twice a month and usually in a low dose, and in a relaxing, not taxing setting, with no weed, and without exerting my body physically for many hours and with serotonin supplements taken afterwards. The result is no noticable memory loss. Maybe I'm a freak, maybe it's not MDMA that causes problem, but the way it is used
smile.gif

That said, if you have 4 pills every weekend, there's still no evidence to show you will experience memory loss solely due to MDMA
[This message has been edited by entropope (edited 14 October 2001).]

*bump*
Excellent synopsis, thanks 'pope
smile.gif
Now the people who are too slack to read the article can still get the gist of it.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

if i could remember what you just wrote i would have had a more intelligent reply.
Do u still need more evidence?

Yer.
excellent thread.
It is commonly believed that it is NOT the MDMA we use (unless used a shitload) but tmore the lack of sleep, lack of food, settings etc that harm us.
EXCELLENT thread.... excellent.
------------------
If I melt dry ICE, do you think I can swim without getting wet?

There have been other tests performed that indicate subtle memory loss due to MDMA. In general it can be assumed definetly that certain degradation occurs to certain systems in the brain. However, there is little evidence to suggest regarding the repair and bias of toxicity. Some research shows that some people who do large ammounts of MDMA have very little memory problems, certain factors could predispose people to such neurotoxcity. If this is even remotely true, it puts a big spanner in the works of many relevant research papers on MDMA neurotoxcity.
Hmmm. Something to think about.
wink.gif

Being someone who's in part a statistician I've always had a great problem the various research I've read. This is due to sample size and choice. For one the samples always seem quite small therefore leading to a reduced confidence rate with the final results (This is measurable). However the selection process seems very weird. For one they don't use random selection (Which is for quite good reason's difficult with this sort of research) and don't have a bell curve of substance (I use substance as IMO most pill takers use other drugs as well) takers, from non-users right through to heavy users with a concentratino of moderate users. This leads to a degredation to the final results (And unfortuanatly isn't easy to measure).
Anyway saying all this I'm glad that some studies are being conducted and hope that more are done. The more evidence good, bad or otherwise does allow for a more informed choice.
------------------
Huh,...What,...Who,....Dude I can't here a fucken word your saying.

How many people here regularly take and enjoy pills and wizz, but don't smoke weed? I'm one of them but I think i'm definitely in the minority.. numbers ppl???

Luko, im with you. e's, maybe meth on the weekend but no weed at all. i think that the lack of sleep, irregular sleep patterns and all of the physical exertion could possibly result in memory loss, but only after a long period or repeat episodes. personnaly, i think that someone who smokes weed on a daily basis, maybe not even a lot each day, would run more of a risk of long term damage even if thats the only drugs they're consuming.

are there any stats on memory loss for marijuana anyway? as a comparison?

I had some stats on memory loss with marijuana but i forgot where i put 'em
BigTrancer
wink.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

I don't remember the last time I smoked pot (serious)
but it was only a few months ago
biggrin.gif

I found it interesting that last episode of "The Secret Life of Us", mentioned that you could have lapses in memory from having too much sex.
The idea being that the release of endorphins, dopamine disrupts the memory pathways.
Personally I have had lapses of memory while rolling but as for after I find I’m back to normal after the needed rest.
---------
“If you want to win anything -- a race, your self, your life -- you have to go a little berserk”