• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

More bad media in Perth: The latest installment of the Sunday Times saga...

jakoz

Bluelighter
By John Flint
RAVE BAN LOOMING
Promoters, venue managers read riot act by police
Police are poised to read the riot act to rave promoters and venue managers - and may scrap several events planned for this summer.
Perth Entertainent Centre management are also to be quizzed about widespread drug abuse at a rave event there two weeks ago.
In addition, they are concerned by allegations that security staff were given instructions to let top-ranking Coffin Cheaters Eddie Withnell and Troy Mercanti enter and leave as they pleased at the all-night bash.
One doorman, who was unaware of the alleged instruction, was punched by Mr Mercanti after trying to stop him entering without a ticket.
The doorman suffered a broken nose, but declined to press charges.
The Sunday Times understands staff were forbidden from speaking to the newspaper about what they saw at the event.
Many staff, who had not worked at a rave before, were shocked at the scale of drug abuse.
About 45 people who attended the first aid post told medics they had taken either ecstasy or speed.
Four were taken to hospital by ambulance.
The rave was the first at the center, owned by Seven Network.
Seven Entertainment Ltd is coted as the applicant on the liquor license.
Entertainment Centre manager Ian Fraser refused to answer any questions about the event, called Digital. He said the event was not a rave but a dance party.
Police are also concerned that the control of ticket sales was passed to the promoter, Delirium, rather than sold through the centre's own Ticketmaster system.
Delirium boss Jeremy Junk last week declined to comment.
"I decline to talk to the media about the rave scene or our events in general," he said.
Assistant Commisioner John Standing is to have a meeting with Director of Liquor Licensing Hugh Highman tomorrow to discuss Digital and future events.
Perth dance-music followers fear a police crackdown will drive the rave scene underground, which is more dangerous for drug users.
They also point out that not everyone on the scene is on drugs.

Dodgy promoters and dodgy jounalists... Whats next? Dodgy cops? Oh.. Yeah..

Off topic, but warranted...
*admires Thoth's nice shiny new Mod badge*
Well done man... you deserved it
smile.gif

ermmm...is it just me or is this not a fairly good article??
Perth dance-music followers fear a police crackdown will drive the rave scene underground, which is more dangerous for drug users.
They also point out that not everyone on the scene is on drugs.
too the journo who i figure must read bluelight...thanks dude. i know we're never going to get an article that says 'the real truth that these ravers grasp onto is that their scene is kept safe by harm minimisation organisations, testers, and an attitude of respect for fellow party goers that is rarely found outside this scene', and lets face it people, that article was as fair as it gets. what we do is illegal, and no journo is gunna bother writing something on our side, cos...well, it just wouldn't get published.
on the real topic of the article, i don't see much of a problem with it. channel seven owns the venue, there was rampant drug use. sounds to me like a big fuckoff corporate is getting shafted cos they jusit went for the money, not only that, but the promoter was harbouring alleged criminals...beh...sounds sorta fair to me...or at least as fair as the media gets...
2.2c (inc. gst + BF)
smile.gif

Like my smart arse reply was attempting to convey... This is more about some pretty shonky underground dealings rather than really looking at rave culture in general. Pretty sordid tale really.

ahaha riot act.. thats getting a bit desperate isnt it.. a group of adults dancing to music is hardly a riot (using societys definition).. im sure they'd see more riotting if they did infact close down events..

In addition, they are concerned by allegations that security staff were given instructions to let top-ranking Coffin Cheaters Eddie Withnell and Troy Mercanti enter and leave as they pleased at the all-night bash.
ever considered that all this has probably far more to do with the current police/bikie tensions than any vendetta against raver kids?
*the following is a theory* cops dont like one of their own being killed, cops want to hurt the gangs, cops target one source of the gangs income, ie raves. sure they are using the same old drug war rhetoric, but you have to look at the reasons why they are taking action now.
If you are all really concerned by this issue i implore you to do some research into the actual issues, not just slaging off the journos and blaming it all on them,and their evil stories.

They may target the raves to get the gangs/dealers/whatever....
But as RBB said, this may drive the scene BACK under ground where there is evn MORE danger and less control. So they are claiming the war on drugs but driving the kids into a more dangerous area of raving (not that it is/was dangerous, but there are more issues that are raised with uderground raves)
Wouldn't it be better to teach the goods and bads of the drugs, accpet that people will do drugs ANYWAY.. legal or not... and educate them.
And yes, dont be so quick to blame the media, even tho they fuk it up MOST of the time. ONce in a while a journo gets it right.
------------------
If I melt dry ICE, do you think I can swim without getting wet?

What disgusted me the most about the Sunday Times and this now 3 week saga is that NOT ONE letter to the editor concerning this topic was printed by them.
We know Fry-d sent in one; many from teknoscape sent in one, including Northbridge DJ and nightclub manager Simon Barwood.
I noticed not one letter in the Times criticised any aspect of the papers reporting; so maybe its their policy not to publish letters which correctly and fairly criticise them.
Unlike The West Australian which has the guts to publish letters like that.
Whats worse is a letter from some lady asking people to watch out for bobtail lizards on the road now that it was summer made it in...i mean seriously.
I thought the number one rule of being a journo was to get both sides of the story; unfortunately the Sunday Times doesnt have the integrity to do this.
And what is with John Flint?? a personal vendetta against the scene? 3 weeks in a row, 3 BIG articles.
I also wonder how big this situation really is, as over the last 3 weeks the West has published 18 papers, and this hasnt been mentioned once.

The number one rule of being a journo is "do what it takes to sell papers"...

I actually called them as well. Attempting to get a bluelight point of view across. I got handballed around until I ran ou t of time and hung up.

entropope: dont give up, otherwise you'll be just like the rest of them in here, whining and preaching to the choir...

Pleonastic right, the role of journalists is to write stories which the newspaper will allign itself with, which is often which sells the most papers.
Bikers can be nutters at times can't they!

"The Sunday Times understands staff were forbidden from speaking to the newspaper about what they saw at the event.
Many staff, who had not worked at a rave before, were shocked at the scale of drug abuse."
If the staff were forbidden from speaking to the newspaper about what they saw, how could John Flint have drawn that staff that worked that night were shocked from the drug use carried out?
Seems to me that John's story is smacks of an "I think therefore it is" scenario.