Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age 12/10/2001: NSW heroin drought turns addicts to cocaine

Mr. Horse

Bluelight Crew
from The Age, 12/10/2001
Heroin addicts facing a drought in Sydney's street supply were increasingly turning to cocaine use, NSW Premier Bob Carr said.
Mr Carr told the inaugural NSW Press Forum last night that the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research had reported a drop in heroin consumption, spending and the health risks that came with it.
He said the exodus of users from the heroin market was mildly encouraging in view of the fact that statistics also showed they were increasing their use of cocaine.
"I speak as someone who believes that one heroin death is too many," Mr Carr said.
But he stressed that the trend towards increased cocaine use began before the heroin drought.
New figures, released yesterday, show Australia's first heroin injecting room had saved 36 lives since opening in May this year.
Users had overdosed at the clinic but were successfully resuscitated.
"Since the trial began, there have been 36 overdoses," Mr Carr said.
"They were quickly attended to that is 36 potential deaths averted."
Both cocaine and heroin were being injected at the Kings Cross premises.
Mr Carr said the government would await the end of the 18month trial before deciding whether to expand or shutdown the program.
There were now more than 800 users who had registered with the centre and of those, more than 240 had been referred into treatment and other support services.
So far, there had been no deaths at the site.
Mr Carr did not rule out keeping the centre open at the end of the trial but said a full evaluation would need to first take place.
"We're in the middle of a trial," he said.
"I'm not drawing any conclusions about terminating this medicallysupervised injecting room or establishing others until that trial is complete.
"We've made it clear: We want trial, we want this guarded and cautious experimentation, we want to carefully assess the evidence ... and then make a decision."
Mr Carr said the centre had so far fulfilled the government's "limited" expectations in it.
The premier was the keynote speaker at the forum which will be held monthly at Parliament House
horse
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Mr. Horse (edited 12 October 2001).]

Good article, thanks Mr. Horse. I wonder - safe injecting rooms... are they meant to be only for injecting heroin, or do their staff have the skills and equipment to deal with other kinds of overdoses (ie. meth/cocaine etc.) if necessary?
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.
[This message has been edited by BigTrancer (edited 12 October 2001).]

ummm a couple of questions...
a) how is injecting cocaine different to snorting it?
b) does cocaine do anything to ease the withdrawal symptoms of heroin addicts? or is it just the "needle addiction" thing? i would've thought cocaine would be a lot less effective than say, methadone (or even any other opiate) in controlling withdrawal symptoms.
c) how can heroin addicts afford cocaine? i was under the impression that coke was hideously expensive, and not the sort of drug one can be constantly shooting up unless you're a stockbroker or are getting it for free. so how can poverty-stricken junkies (no offense but it's often true) afford it?
hmmm that is all.

^^^
Run a search in the OD forum, PhreeX (who else) has given it alot of coverage.

^^^
i don't care that much.
i was more interested in asking the questions than getting answers.

In light of this situation, I am deeply worried about violence and addiction then before.
Cocaine produces a far more worriesome addictive state. The problem is you need cocaine more often and once you have too much you may become a danger to other people by being aggressive and delerious. Less deaths from overdose, mor edeaths from delerius states of mind.
I would be interested in other peoples views on this matter!
smile.gif

In light of this situation, I am deeply worried about violence and addiction then before.
Cocaine produces a far more worriesome addictive state. The problem is you need cocaine more often and once you have too much you may become a danger to other people by being aggressive and psychotic. Less deaths from overdose, more edeaths from psychotic states of mind.
I would be interested in other peoples views on this matter!
smile.gif

Yeah an interesting article. But yeah I'm real keen to know how they afford it as its f'n expensive compared to the US as its not as popular here (I think).
------------------
Huh,...What,...Who,....Dude I can't here a fucken word your saying.

What percentage of heroin users are addicts? In the media they portray all users as addicts. I dont know anyone who uses the shit, so i'm askin.
If there is a high number of users who are not addicted, it might explain the increase in coke use. Most people i suppose see coke as a step down from heroin...
Just my .02, feel free to point out any foolishness
smile.gif

------------------
Bluelight was brought to you today by the letter E