Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Perth - Think before you post - A LOT more

Fry-d-

Bluelight Crew
Reading the sunday times today I was horrified to see one of my posts last week quoted by the Sunday Times. Referring to the event digital the sunday times and WA police are now targetting bluelight but in a way a whole lot worse to how we think. Last week it became quite obvious the police were using bluelight to find out who's holding or whose moving in perth. Now this morning this has been confirmed. They have said in the paper "We will be looking at that information and if we can authenticate it, we will be actively targetting these events". They are going to now use bluelight to find out where the raves are and then to shut them down. I am thinking our excitement towards an event in the future to do with something of sound would be best not to be displayed on this website, I am even thinking meetups in perth are not such a good Idea anymore. The police are moving in heavily arround us and we must be extremely careful if we want to use this site. I think delerium will suffer bigtime due to this crackdown.
Another blow to perth nightclubs on the same day means that more security staff will need to be hired and more permanent camera's will have to be installed in clubs that want to stay open past 1am. The new laws will require 2 bouncers for the first hundred patrons and another for every 100 following, plus constant recorded footage of every bar, entrance and dancefloor in the club, these tapes must be kept for 7 days.
The perth scene is under fire and we will have to be more careful now than ever. Take extreme thought before every post. Not into how funny everyone might think you are but into how the police can use what you just posted in court.
I've only just got up on this bathurst sunday so I'll have a coffee and post the Sunday times article.
[This message has been edited by Fry-d- (edited 07 October 2001).]

"Police to act on rave" , Sunday Times, October 7th by John Flint.
Police are to act on internet chat indicating pill-popping was rife at a licensed rave party last weekend.
They are also concerned that 45 people who attended a first aid post at the rave all told medics they had taken either ecstasy or speed.
Four were taken to hospital by ambulance and a further 16 were treated at the scene for drug related conditions.
Several hundred people partied from 11pm to 6am at the Perth Entertainment Centre on Sunday nigth. The event, called Digital, was the first rave to be staged at the centre.
Police said the web talk might be used to get a warrent to do raids and searches at future events.
"We will be looking at that information and if we can authenticate it, we will be actively targetting these events," Assistant Commissioner John Standung told the Sunday Times.
Police are alsot concerned that two high-ranking members of the Coffin Cheaters bikie gang were seen at Digital.
Perth members of the New Bluelight website this week discussed the array of ectasy and other drugs consumed at the event.
Under the thread "Perth Pills - Long Weekend Treats", one raver wrote: "Digital went off... Some friends had Orange 2000's! Said its was the best pills ever! I wish I had joined them now. Damm those Greens. Still a fun night was had."
Another replied: " Had Orange 200's too. Normally I'm a three per night guy, but only needed two of these to last well into the datlight. Must contain some amount of speed coz I had serious trouble sleeping, but still very rushy and dancey."
Another replied "FOund the Orange 2000's to hit like a Mack and last about three hours compared to our run of pink domes- ..... I wont guess at any wizz content as I had it with wizz."
One wrote: "Somebody I know and somebody I dont both dropped one MTV early in the night and half a red dome later on. Admittedly both have low tolerance and these are both 'hit by a mack truck' strength bikkies, but both complained of circulation problems and very bad pins and needles and an almost paralysed arms and legs thing going on. Could just be a little too much MDMA for and infrequent user tho."
The Entertainment Centre received a thumbs-up from ravers.
One wrote: "Peaking while seeing the crowd in the stands was a surreal experience. I was in awe of how large the crowd looked .... the Entertainment Centre was like the Tardis out of Doctor Who. The Lighting and the fact that you could see no walls, that there were endless streams of clean, cool air and room to dance in the main room gave the most exhilarating and uninhibited sense of freedom I have ever felt. It felt I was truly soaring."
Under another thread a Perth raver asked for ideas on getting hold of crackers (whipped cream canisters that contain nitrous oxide): "Went to the city yesturday and all the big dept stores and homeware shops dont stock them."
The New Bluelight website is almost 100 per cent drug talk compared with other sites such as Teknoscape, mentioned in the Sunday Times last week, which mainly features discussion of the music, though there is some drug talk.
Assistant Commissioner Standing pointed out that many rave goers did not take drugs. "They are decent law-abiding people abd we dont want to get them mixed up holistically with some of the others," he said.
Digital was licensed to sell alcohol to 2am.
Water and energy drinks were on sale until 6am.
Director of Liquor Licensing Hugh Highman said the web chat was not sufficent to deny rave promotors liquor licenses. He needed police prosecutions or other hard evidence.
A promotor, whose company puts on raves in Perth, declined to comment.
"I decline to talk to the media about our events or the rave scene in general," he said in an e-mail.
He directed The SUnday Times to his lawyer on Friday afternoon, but she did not return our calls.
Management at Perth Entertainment Centre also failed to return the Sunday Times Calls.

And the link to the other article.
http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,2999443%255E2761,00.html
Now the Sunday times managed to make my post about which pills I dont recommend mixing, total harm minimisation in my books, out to be something it isnt. For the record I didnt take anything at digital, thats right NOTHING. I went to digital purely and simply for the music, sure some of the people there may have had a pill to enhance there night but I didnt, and a lot of people there didn't take anything besides water either. That would probably be a whole bunch from bluelight there straight too. To the Sunday Times and Police lurkers out there not everyone goes out to get off their face. As Commissioner Standing said to the Sunday Times there is a lot of law abiding people out there. This site is to help minismise harm when It comes to taking illicet substances so of course most of the material is drug related. Just remember not everyone needs to be a user to offer advice to others.
Now this has all got me quite worked up this morning so I wont post anymore untill I've had a chance to calm down and think about our best way to deal with this. I think that now we cannot give the media or the police any thing else to bite onto, we mustnt feed them any more useful information If we want people to keep using this site as it was intended. Its primary function will be lost if everyone is too scared to post here, those who post need to think very very carfully about the implications of the information they are placing on the Police Force's desk.

I am deeply shocked by the terrorist attacks on our fair nation of Bluelight.
Now is the time for us to all support Bluelight. Even though the attacks on Bluelight attack straight at the heart of Bluelight, the Bluelighters and the places they hold dear we must not give in to fear. We must keep posting and growing this BL community.
We must be cautious in our posting sure, but I'll be damned if a few nosey cops are going to stop me using the best web resource I know.
If the police can gain a warrant from info on BL then why couldn't anyone (cops included) post whatever crazy info they wanted to corrupt clubs and individuals?
All sounds too convenient: COP a "I read on the internet that someone has drugs at place X", COP b "The internet... must be true. Well guess we better arrest them and search everyone there."
Sorry for the drama performance, but I'm just realising how great this BL community is. I don't like it being filthied by sneaks and vague tabloid writers.

Its time to lock this place down. No talk of drugs you did, or are going to do... The warnings from JB and others have been there, this has been coming for some time.
Bluelight is being watched. Pull some fucking heads in people...

yahuh....this is a harm minimisation site. so of course almost 100% of the talk is gunna be fucking drugs....i love the media...so intelligent, not to mention the police **waves to the filth**
anyways...yah what thoth said, you don't have to stop posting, just don't say you've got such hand such, and dont talk about what you had last weekend. pill reports are even still fine, cos they prove sweet fuck all about you ever possesing the pill. just because you post here doesn't mean you have a stash of a hundred pills. fuck, i post here enough and i haven't seen a pill in quite some time. this is a harm minimisation site and if the only things we give the media to quote are about testing and looking after yourself, than unfortunately i don't think they'll ever quote us, but still, thats all this should really be. pillreports are fine if you do feel like posting them, they prove nothing.
when it comes to parties just use your head. saying your having something at a party in meetups is all you really need for the cops to have a reason to raid a whole party. talk about parties and meetups and whatever, just leave drug discussion in drug discussion (and don't dicsuss your drugs) and leave meetups and parties in meetups. dont let this stop people posting about parties and definately don't let this stop meetups. be smart and you shouldn't have to worry. it would be sad to see australia start to head the way of the USA, whos fuckin imbecilic police force simply associate raves with drugs and as such shut them all down. granted, don't talk about illegal's in meetups, but i don't think anyone does anyway... basically if a pormotoer has gained a license etc. for an event, if everyon posts resposibly, bluelight is gunna make fuck all difference to whether cops rock up or not.
please think about what you post, not just to stop all we know from going downhill, but to piss them off. give them nothing. they probably won't go away, but they will get hell frustrated that we're giving them nothing.
smile.gif

oh yeah, **waves to cops**

Agrees wif RBB.
Bottom line. Dont say shit about drugs... Dont give these idiots a reason to bust your event or your meetup (ie: what you intend to have, what you've got etc etc)
Simple.
And to the POLICE... PLEASE! Do some real fucking work and catch some criminals who are a menace to society. We go out, dance around like idiots, hug everyone, go home and go to bed.
For fucks sake, use your great detectives and find some killers or something. And if you have to resort to a harm reduction forum to find 'evil' drug takers then go back to little detective school.. cause that makes you pretty lame my flat footed friends.
smile.gif

***** Shows police man the birdie *****

The question is - where to from here?
It seems as though the Bluelight community may have reached a watershed in its evolvement; public scrutiny will become ever more intense, and our comments ever more guarded. However, as many of us have consistently maintained, none of this will change the fact that increasing numbers of people engage in drug use - and enjoy doing so.
Perhaps the focus of our harm-minimization efforts needs to shift to the long-term. This site is a crucial resource in the effort to reduce drug-associated harm, yet what of the cultural and political climate in which this drug use goes on? I feel that as a community of people, we need to develop a loud and persuasive voice that can articulate our opinions, namely:
- Drug use within society is COMMON, it is INCREASING, and there is a requirement for sound INFORMATION.
- The social attitudes of this generation are exceedingly different from those that have gone before. The sooner people stop pretending that drug use is abnormal, the better.
- Repressive law enforcement is highly ineffective, and an astonishing waste of valuable police resources.
By remembering that the police simply do their political bidding, it is easier to understand their actions. Many police do not agree with increased drug law enforcement - as evidenced by the number of officers engaging in illicit activities themselves. The pretense of a "drug free society" is as redundant and outmoded an idea as those political figures that espouse it.
As a community, we need to begin to change attitudes. Drug use DOES and WILL occur; by extension, we must ask -
- How can it occur as safely as possible?
- How can we minimize the impact on society, while reducing the potential profits for criminals?
- How can we best educate others about the reality of the current drug culture?
This can only occur if all of us begin to think about what we do, and why we do it. Become politically active by supporting those parties with progressive drug law policies; write to newspapers and magazines; and talk to people - rationally, sensibly, and coherently - about why people take drugs. Maybe then we'll see real change, and stop existing like the sub-culture we're not.
smile.gif

**aplaudes sneak**
...stop existing like the sub-culture we're not.
i think thats pretty much it. i remember in 'under the mirrorball' someone from the national drug adviosry council pointing out that the people who use the drugs we cover here are not your stereotypical drugs users....we are students, doctors, lawyers, architects, hell even police. we come from rich and poor backgrounds, private schools and the street. we are to broad to be a subculture...don't treat us like one. we are a part of your society, your community. dont despise us, because we are one of you.

The Viking's took shrooms before they went out to battle. So they went crazy when they fought.
And this was 100'S of years ago. Untill society relise that drugs have been around for ages and will continue to be around and used for recreational purposes, there is always going to be this problem.
They will never get rid of drugs tottaly, its impossible. But harm minimalisation for those who do choose to use drugs is the way to go. But try telling that to them!
This site is HARM MINIMILISATION not a place for junkies to hang out... !!OK MEDIA!!

this is total bullshit coming from the sunday times.. after last weeks article on the local site teknoscape, they replied on the teknoscape board saying "blahblah we know people go there for the music etc".. but an apology in the forum of the site is hardly an apology when it doesnt reach the audience in which the original article reached..
expect another similar apology on this site and them saying things like "we know the site is here for harm minimisation".. but the bottom line is they dont say that in their articles.. the sunday times is there to make money, and they will do it off whoever they can, however they can..
the worst thing about this type of media attention is that it will put events like GSSS in jeopardy, like they tried to do with Delirious last year.
although its most likely just a big media front, to make the police look like they are "being tough" on drugs and events.. everyone last year was expecting sniffer dogs and a huge police presence at delirious as indicated by the articles, but it turned out to just but 2-4 uniformed police watching what was going on and actually having conversations with punters..

Fucking hack corporate whore journalists... Put some fucking integrity back into your profession. You know damn well who you are!

the problem is not the police or the sunday times or what you put up on this site.. it is simply the law. As long as what you do to your own body is governed by legislation they will keep doing their job.
- the police to enforce the law.
- the sunday times to sensationalise the polices' enforcement of it.
Drug laws should have followed the same course as alcohol prohibition but unfortunately for a number of reasons they haven't. Alcohol kills thousands of people a year.. the difference being that is it is entrenched in society in a way ecstasy won't be for a very long time.
The laws don't work simply for the reason that a minority (the police) cannot stop a majority (educated responsible adults) from doing whatever the fuck they want to their bodies (including administering substances they so choose).
The laws are similar to the laws against suicide or wearing a helmet when riding a bike. the difference being that instead of requiring a helmet, drug laws in this metaphor won't even let you ride a bike. They are passed off as a means by which society can be protected from its own weaknesses (or stupidity) when in fact they only serve to "nanny" society. well damn it i am gonna ride my bike.
smile.gif

In view of this i think eventually the law will be changed. But not until enough people are affected by it. The more this becomes a police state the more angry you guys will get and the more chance there is of someone challenging the laws.
There are two options..
-one, wait for ecstasy and other substance use to be so widespread that the law although still in existence will be seen as ineffectual and downgraded (such as that which has happened/is happening to marijuana) or
-two, speed up this process by doing something about it. Find a sympathetic political party for instance (not that effective). Or just make yourself heard. Do something to see drug abuse categorised as a social problem (which is it) and have it fixed at its source. Do something to see non-addictive and relatively safe recreational drugs no longer bunched with highly addictive and dangerous ones.
those are the issues as i see them.
a friend of mine recently got caught with pills and seeing him bundled up and pushed through our court system like a criminal really made me rethink a lot of things.
sorry about the length of the post. blood still bubbling.
[This message has been edited by robo-t (edited 07 October 2001).]

Another confirmation that the Sunday Times so richly deserves its reputation as the 'Womans Day' of newspapers.

is drug use *really* a social problem? drug *abuse* is a social problem, but is occasional drug use really a social problem? why is it more of a problem for "Raver Bob" to have a pill once every 2 months than it is for "Average Joe" to go and get drunk at the pub every friday night? Both the pill and the alcohol are bad for the body and do permanent damage to the user. Both offer the user an escape from the quotidian (look that one up, Officer) existence they each endure. Both result in a lack of productivity the following day (hangover/comedown). One is legal and socially acceptable. One is illegal, punishable by jail and frowned upon by many in the populace. One is a dirty gutter drug and a pill is not. but i really don't see why one of these two drugs should be a social problem and one of them is just fine and dandy.
i also don't see any moral distinction between Raver Bob having a pill and Average Joe getting drunk. IMHO they're both getting off their faces, and it should be their right to do that, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. But it is easy to create a moral problem out of "drugs", and i will discuss how this is possible below, with particular reference to MDMA.
now of course those working in the health field understand that alcohol is in fact one of the less desirable things about our society. in fact, alcohol abuse *is* a social problem for many many people, far more so than for drug abuse. Could it be that prohibition is intent on preventing the cat from getting out of the bag in the way that alcohol has done? Previous attempts to prohibit alcohol could have failed because the "horse" had already bolted, alcohol was legal long before they tried to ban it. MDMA does not have the extended history of legal use alcohol boasts, and so there is a possibility that by demonising it and stopping its use from spreading, authorities could keep MDMA from becoming such a problem as alcohol undoubtedly is. This is probably fair enough from a public health point of view, we should try to minimise social problems before they get out of hand. Whether MDMA poses a genuine threat to public health is a loaded question and i'm not even going to try to answer it.
But the problem arises when we come to issues of civil liberties. Where do the authorities have the right to draw the line between protecting us and denying us the rights to use our bodies as our own. If public opinion swung around and everyone wanted MDMA to be legal, the authorities would have no choice in a democracy but to legalise it. But at the moment the people don't understand the real issues behind MDMA. this is a good thing as far as authorities are concerned, because it means they can avoid legalising it and risking another source of "social problems".
That most people don't understand the real issues behind MDMA is testament to the confusion propagated by the media, as the mouthpiece of law enforcement. This confusion about MDMA is achieved by lumping MDMA in with drugs like heroin (and pointing to overdose stats), to make people afraid. The confusion and fear is then easily moulded into moralistic outrage at drug use. If an hypothetical drug problem exists (as asserted by the media after promptings by authorities) and if it is a social problem, then those who are part of this drug problem are therefore "antisocial". If you're antisocial you are "against us", and remember the conservatives always take the high moral ground and claim to be on the "good" side. Drug users/advocates are opposing their views and are therefore morally bad. So the morality of fighting drug use stems originally from a largely false (in the case of MDMA in particular - although less so for some other drugs) belief that the drug IS a social problem.
i suppose this approach could be summed up as, "create the public spectre of a social problem, to ensure the prevention of a genuine one". cynics might thinks it's more than this
wink.gif
i think i've written the bare skeleton for a nice article i've been intending to write for a while! choice! didn't intend to write that much it kinda all fell out of my brain... i don't know if it belongs in this thread now... ummm ok whatever it's going in here anyway
smile.gif
have fun!
[This message has been edited by De Quincey (edited 07 October 2001).]

The laws are similar to the laws against suicide or wearing a helmet when riding a bike. the difference being that instead of requiring a helmet, drug laws in this metaphor won't even let you ride a bike. They are passed off as a means by which society can be protected from its own weaknesses (or stupidity) when in fact they only serve to "nanny" society. well damn it i am gonna ride my bike.
That right there is probably the best worded argument against drug prohibition I've ever seen... anyone who still fails to see the hypocrisy of the drug laws after reading that quote really does have their head up their arse.

Fuck I musta had my ass my head for the weekend didn't even know this was going on. But let's face it people even my conservative parents think most jounalist articles about drugs is Bullshit.
Anyway my gal writes a lot of stuff about drugs and as such has dozens of old articles relating to drugs for reference. Most of its shit, some of its OK but none is great.
------------------
Huh,...What,...Who,....Dude I can't here a fucken word your saying.

I was personally expecting the government to have passed legislation to enforce ISP's to block bluelight off by now.
Does anyone get the FEELING that the government haven't blocked bluelight so far, because it is being heavily used as a tool by the police.
As far as un-biased opinions go, the best people to talk to are bouncers (who have to do it sober). I have never met a bouncer at a club who doesn't admit that ravers are far more social, more lively, less troublesome that pub-goers. They themselves can't understand the problem the government has.

- Drug use within society is COMMON, it is INCREASING, and there is a requirement for sound INFORMATION.
AMEN to that! Chances are young people ARE going to try drugs. "You want you can't have". Its not like that for everyone, but it is in a lot of cases. If they had some useful advice for young or even old people, their experience would be safer by far. Saying that drinking water is bad for example, which I've seen a lot, is HARMFUL! Most people I know would not even know to drink any water at all, and why? BECAUSE NO ONE TELLS US ANYTHING! This site IS for harm minimalisation and tells us things that help us go out safely.
If they want to wipe out the use of drugs - maybe they should try and help people use them safely, so whilst they are fart-assing around trying unsuccessfully to stop an increasing social habit, people aren't getting sick and/or dying!
And as said above - people on pills etc are much more sociable and happier, whereas those completely blind drunk are more prone to violence and harm to others. Bump into someone at a club and accidentally spill your drink on them - they'll laugh with you and tell you not to worry. Bump into a drunk at a pub and spill your drink on them - you're very likely to get decked.
I honestly think the police should get their priorities straight and think about the more important things.
------------------
"The sweet cotton candy kiss of transcendental bliss"