• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Aussie gas guzzlers!

Aussie gas guzzlers!

A friend who recently came back from Australia,told me how the native aborigenes have taken to drinking petrol.
No shit,he was completely serious,and explained that the aborigenes are in a bad way over there,taking and drinking ANYTHING that will get them fucked,including stealing petrol from your car.
Any Australians here that can confirm or elaborate this?
------------------
become-evolve-deprogram-reprogram-disconnect-reframe-synchronize-increase-rebirth.
'the nine goals'
The Ecstacy Club
by Douglas Rushkoff.
[This message has been edited by [u.k neuronauticals inc] (edited 04 October 2001).]

Either that or Fosters! Moved to the aussie forum...
ME DIGERIDOO IS AS BIG AS THE NEVA-NEVA
------------------
"I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is: 'What are they in a position to do about it?'" (William S. Burroughs)

Moved to current Australia/Asia/NZ/Middle East Drug Discussion 2001 Forum
I don't believe anyone should make wild, ignorant, generalisations like in the original post, and I was going to lock this. However I guess it breaks none of the rules of the forum per se (aside from appearing to be an obvious troll). Perhaps we can educate the original poster nonetheless.
Please do not reply unless you have something constructive to add. Check your ignorance, generalisations and racism at the door.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

Q: Why does an aboriginal have such big nostrils?
A: Unleaded or Super
*phew*
Now I've got that out of my system, here's the serious reply.
wink.gif

No body drinks petrol - that's just stupid. Some do however sniff petrol, for a high similar to sniffing glue or paint fumes. As for their ethnicity, it's a stereotype that they're Aboriginal. There are people here who do it, just as there are probably people who do it in whatever country you're from too... and there are some dirty Aborigines around, just as there are some dirty white people as well.
But your post is flat out racist and your friend's wrong. So there.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Pleonastic (edited 05 October 2001).]

Well Pleo I do beg to differ, you obviously don't get out out to regional Oz that much i.e. goodooga, berwarina, Wilcannia, wee waa and other assorted holes (sorry "populationally challenged") but in all seriousness people do drink petrol I have seen this first hand, and in gladstone the last time I was up there they even kept metholated spirits in the fridge in the shops, go figure. But as you can imagine it fucks them up in a big way and once they get to a state where they r drink these things they don't live to long.

I too have seen refridgerated bottles of metho for sale, in remote west OZ. I have met some petrol sniffing teens in the same town.
As far as drinking petrol... never heard of that one. I think that metho goes for about half the cost of petrol and is allmost entirely alcohol. What effect does drinking petrol have?
Problems with substance abuse of this nature are becoming common in remote communities. Perhaps this is a good example of how drug prohibition fails.

A friend of mine's old man ownes a station in the Northern Territory somewhere, and when he was a young fella, he used to go out there every now and then.
He told me that the black fella used to get a loaf of bread, take off the two crusts at the end, and proceed to pour petrol or some other fucked up chemical thru the loaf, using it as some sort of filter.
It was either petrol or brake fluid, either way, you'd need to be fucked in the head!
------------------
I think of my life as a series of sketches; each one funnier than the last

I think it is actually blue metho cAmmAc - the 'mysterious blue agent' apparently induces vomitting upon ingestion, hence the requirement to strain thru bread before consumption...
not a pretty picture.
HC

hey peeps.. uk neuro isnt a troll, and i honestly dont think his post was racist - he had heard something and was asking if it was true.. and turns out, it is (to some degree).
i think everyone is kinda jumping too fast to call racism, when the fact is that aboriginal communities have specific and serious substance abuse problems, that seem differ in nature to those of regional areas in general - it makes sense just cuz they are a different community. i might be wrong, but thats how it seems to me anyways.
i kinda feel like sometimes we use political correctness to shield ourselves from the harsh realities (esp if we consider the prob too difficult to face up to trying to fix) rather than as a sensitivity to others.
anyhow umm i dont really have much of a point, i hope that i've explained myself ok and i'm not construed as racist/prejudiced in any way.. cuz everyone who knows me must know that i'm not at *all*
i just happen to feel that most stereotypes and generalisations do have a basis in reality *somewhere*, from the silliest ones to the most offensive ones. i think the combat to prejudice is to not forget that a generalisation is *just that* and nothing more - and that sometimes they can be useful when discussing issues that are closely related to one population or another (does that make sense?)
[This message has been edited by atomica (edited 05 October 2001).]

atomica you asshole. Only joshing. But seriuously guys read post properly before you flame. Anyway yes petrol sniifing/drinking does occur, its sad but a fact and yes its isolated to regional and remote areas. But hey let's look at the city I can't walk a block with:
A) getting asked if I'm chasing
B) See a syringe
C) See someone completely off there noodle on herion
D) A fire hydrant.
But just to add something new, there are some towns around Australia where it is now illegal to be in the town while intoxicated that included there own home. Some of the early reports is that its working, more with the youth than the adults.
------------------
Huh,...What,...Who,....Dude I can't here a fucken word your saying.

yeah airwalk exactly - cities have awful probs too but the social aspects of abuse in remote areas and the city are a wee bit different, just cuz the environment is. i feel more strongly about the problems in remote areas tho cuz i guess they seem to me to be more difficult to fix, cuz you have the added factor of the death of rural aust/lack of resources etc. which makes it all a lot harder to work with.
i remember seeing a story on tv a very long time ago where an aboriginal community had recognised alcohol problems and decided that it wanted the local general store (owned by a white person) to stop selling alcohol to it's community. the store said no. i'm glad that some of the remote communities are finding their own solutions tho.. esp with the younger folks, they're the future after all
smile.gif

OK. After I've thought about this a few times, I believe that we can carry out a sensible and informative discussion about inhalants and consumption of volatile hydrocarbons in this forum. However I feel there is no need to attach any ethnic bias or cultural stereotypes to the discussion.
I probably worded my original post badly. What I meant was that I would prefer to maintain the level of political incorrectness that we keep regarding drugs, and leave the stereotyping and race issues for another board.
Therefore, I will close this thread, and anyone who wants to discuss the merits of inhaling or consuming petrol, methylated spirits, butane gas, kerosene or any other assorted fuel can open their own thread and discuss the chemicals, rather than focussing upon the users.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.