PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom Season 2011

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

PsiloSubNaut
05-01-2011, 10:41
This thread is a continuation of Mushroom Season 2010 (http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=496384), which was one of the most viewed threads In Australian drug discussion last year.

Although the season for the southern psilocybe mushroom (psilocybe subaeruginosa) is still several months away, the northern season is alive and Kicking. There have been many reports of hunters finding decent amounts of both Psilocybe cubensis ('cubes')and Panaeolus cyanescens ('cyans' AKA Copelandia cyanescens) from northern NSW/Qld. Both of the northern psilocybes can also be found in parts of the NT and northern WA.

The northern species are dung lovers and tend to be found during the wet summer months in northern NSW and many parts of Qld. They are commonly found growing from cow dung, but they can grow on several other animal feces. The best time to hunt for these species is during summer (wet season) a few days after decent rain.

Psilocybe cubensis
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n441/whenigetmyhandsonu/cubes1.jpg
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n441/whenigetmyhandsonu/cubes.jpg

Panaeolus cyanescens
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n441/whenigetmyhandsonu/cyans5.jpg
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n441/whenigetmyhandsonu/cyans3.jpg

In southern Australia, we get a cold climate, wood loving species that generally fruits from mid autumn and into early winter. Psilocybe subaeruginosa (subs) can be found growing on decaying plant matter (namely pine and eucalyptus) in both garden beds and forests throughout Vic, ACT, Tas, southern SA, southern WA and southern to mid NSW.

The season peaks from mid May through July, but they have been found as late as September (sometimes even later) with the right weather conditions.

The further west you are located, the later the season starts. If you are in WA, I would not bother to hunt before late May and it is common to not see subs before early-mid June.

Last years high rainfall (double the average in some places) saw a bumper season for subs. It was also the earliest myself and many friends had ever picked them. First finds were in late march, which is roughly 4-6 weeks earlier than usual. First finds for Vic, Tas and ACT tend to be late April/early May. SA tends to kick off in late May/June. WA season normally starts between June and July. Depending on weather conditions, the season will generally last from 6-12 weeks. The severe frosts of mid to late winter usually bring an end to the season.

Psilocybe subaeruginosa
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n441/whenigetmyhandsonu/P1556_20-05-10.jpg
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n441/whenigetmyhandsonu/P1558_20-05-10.jpg
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n441/whenigetmyhandsonu/IMG_0740.jpg

Only ever take what you need. I also recommend not removing more than 50% of the mushrooms in one patch. The remaining mushrooms can spore up and keep your patch fruiting well for future seasons. Always cut the mushroom at the base of the stem so as not to remove any of the mycelium.

NO MUSHROOM IDENTIFICATION IN THIS THREAD (visit www.shroomery.org for I.D's)

NO GIVING OUT HUNTING LOCATIONS

Respect nature

Respect your body

Respect the mushroom spirit

DO NOT HUNT ON PRIVATE PROPERTY! I know farmers/wood chipped garden bed property owners who are fed up with randoms entering their property in search of mushrooms.There are plenty of parks and forests to search in and you don't need to be seen/caught trespassing with bags full of illegal fungi.

I will do my best to answer questions and dispel the myths of the mystical mushrooms.

Happy hunting in 2011 bluelighters

cosdog
05-01-2011, 11:27
Yay.

pisspotnrock
05-01-2011, 11:46
umm in slang terms, are they gold tops and blue meanies? haha

Lovegrud
05-01-2011, 12:35
Awesome first post psilo very informative (I guess we'd expect no different from you :) )

Am well ready to go by myself this year have done plenty of reading and highly recommend to anyone wanting to become a lonewolf mushroom hunter to read the encyclopedia of psychoactive plants by Christian Ratsch.

misteee
05-01-2011, 13:22
psilo :) always straight to it good to see a new one of these up in action.

2011, gona be a good year, i can feel it in my bones :)

AyahuascaSeeker13
05-01-2011, 13:28
Northern NSW, here I come :) YEEE HAAAAAAA

dingercc
06-01-2011, 07:12
hey bluelighters in the 09 season i found alot of pan cyans in the central coast area all bruiseing a nice blue colour the next season i went back to the same paddocts there was excate same shroom only difference they didnt turn blue can any1 shed some light? arethey still the pan cyan or what? im goin go for a little look sometime soon (:

L3inad
06-01-2011, 07:37
umm in slang terms, are they gold tops and blue meanies? haha

Actually if someone could clarify this for us that would be excellent. I only know mushrooms by their correct names and many of my friends still insist on using the slang terminology which frustrates me to no end as I dont know what the terms equate to and neither do they 8)

Also, just for interests sake. A vast majority of active mushrooms found in vic are likely to be subs, correct? Other than that we can somtimes find cyanescens and thats about it in terms of Psilocybin?

Oh. And Aminita's ofc.. :|

Lovegrud
06-01-2011, 08:23
http://www.azarius.net/media/images/encyclopedie/copefresh.jpg
Blue meanies aka Copelandia Cyanescens (I'm pretty sure)

And golden tops are Psilocybe cubensis

Go to http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/magic_mushrooms_aunz/magic_mushrooms_aunz2.shtml for more info :)

thestudent14
06-01-2011, 12:19
Just in time too, only got enough for one last trip until it's time to hit the parks again ^.^

pisspotnrock
06-01-2011, 15:12
haha yeahhh them blue meanies are the same mushrooms you get in bali, like everyone that will sell you mushrooms or shakes over there only ever have blue meanies which i thought was interesting...

In southwest WA we generally only get them gold caps and if you ever buy some fresh ones up in perth when its season, there always goldcaps

headdah
07-01-2011, 00:37
another 5-6months til the adelaide season starts to bloooom.

can't wait1

had a ball last season. got heaps fit by the end of the season and never once came back empty handed.

yagecero
07-01-2011, 02:07
I've heard inexperienced people call psilocybe subaeruginosa blue meanies, gold tops, and even golden teachers. These nicknames only serve to confuse. If one feels that he/she wants to use a nickname, it's much wiser to use a term related to the botanical name - subs for psilocybe subaeruginosa, and cubes for psilocybe cubensis for example. Using the botanical name or a distinguishable slang term is safer as it allows for correct calculation of dosage. If a regular cubensis user obtains "gold tops" and consumes their regular dose, and those "gold tops" turn out to be subaeruginosa, they could be in for an unexpectedly potent trip.

headdah
07-01-2011, 02:51
well said Yagecero. u couldn't be more right.

its much safer calling it by its real name. instead of slangs that will get confused. :)

subs are subs

and cubes be cubes :)

pisspotnrock
07-01-2011, 09:43
^ those terms confuse me as ive never heard them get called that...

Demanufacturer
08-01-2011, 04:15
It always amazes me as to the broad spectrum of aesthetics 1 species of mushroom can produce (mainly referring to subs).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Psilocybe Subaeruginosa in a sub-species (sub-genus?) of of Cyanescens that include several different other mushrooms that all look similar but have minor physical differences?

If so, is it not a high possibility that when people pick 'subs' than they could actually picking a range of mushrooms including Psilocybe Australiana, Psilocybe Eucalypta and others?

This is just me being a stoned douche and picking out a technicality and most likely getting my facts wrong. Im pretty sure (not certain) that the alkaloid content for all these species are fairly similar so incorrect identification is not so much of an issue. For the sake of simplicity calling them all subs is probably best %).

Now forget my pointless rant.

Here are some videos of Psilocybe Cubensis and Panaeolus Cyanescens IDs on youtube that might be useful

Panaeolus Cyanescens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeuyU-SGWQ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2CRkLTR3BI&feature=related

Psilocybe Cubensis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHZSWu7eOgA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Owaw5XNv0&feature=watch_response

there are others by the same user in the related videos sidebar.

Mods please remove if they have already been posted or are inappropriate for this thread.

Mr Blonde
08-01-2011, 05:16
^ Awesome, thanks for the videos! If I actually go mushroom picking for once this year, those will come in handy. :)

Kramer525
08-01-2011, 11:43
Had no idea they grow up north in W.A.
Anyone here actually found a patch in northern W.A. themselves?

misteee
09-01-2011, 02:28
although im not complaining about the huge amounts of subs here is SA, id love to hunt down, Panaeolus cyanescens/Copelandia :) although not in adelaide climate i think perhaps an interstate trip may just be required :P

anyone in the mushroom culture enjoy amanita/fly agaric?? personally not so high on my list of things to try, just wondering your views?

Mysterie
09-01-2011, 04:43
although i havent tried it myself, i dont really want to anyway because of its deliriant properties

StimpsonJCat
09-01-2011, 06:00
do you guys think that mushrooms might grow early if the cold wet weather continues over the summer in southern aus?
i know they grow in a certain season but the climate seems to be about right at the moment.

PsiloSubNaut
09-01-2011, 06:09
do you guys think that mushrooms might grow early if the cold wet weather continues over the summer in southern aus?
i know they grow in a certain season but the climate seems to be about right at the moment.

The temps are way too high, days are too long and there isn't anywhere near enough rain for subs to fruit yet.

Late March is the earliest. Don't expect any finds before May and be happy with anything before then.

You want mid single figure night temps and a maximum of mid teen day temps. They really go off when the night temps hover between 2-6 degree's and day temps stay below 16 :)

djep
09-01-2011, 06:51
Here's hoping for a perfect autumn and winter coupled with all the moisture in the soil from the recent rains should make it a bumper crop season!

Great Post again Psilo, always enjoy your informative, useful and importantly HR threads and posts. You should write an encyclopedia on your knowledge and information, you'd make a small fortune!

ooh.shiny
09-01-2011, 09:40
Psilo = living encyclopedia :D

misteee
09-01-2011, 13:18
Psilo = living encyclopedia :D

couldnt agree more , if psilo published a book, i think it would be a great read.

StimpsonJCat
09-01-2011, 13:43
im inclined to agree as well,
thanks psilo :)

webbykevin
10-01-2011, 05:31
just found a field full of gold tops :)

near Maclean, northern nsw, its been raining here for days, these little beauties were just standing up strong and glistening as I was driving past, you couldn't miss em.

I slammed on the brakes, jumped out of the car, cleared the fence in 1 bound and gabbed an armfull.

YUMMY YUMMY, now I just have to work out what a wet dose is, I read somewhere terrence mckenna saying 30 grams wet is the same as 5 grams dry, but 30 grams wet looks like a fucking lot, well I guess it's going to be fun working it out.

Sameria
10-01-2011, 07:42
^Psilo doesn't like it when people call them gold tops ;)

headdah
10-01-2011, 09:31
so subs were they???

post picture of your great find bro :)

so the rest of us can watch and envy.

junkie skumbag
10-01-2011, 14:07
Cant wait gonna go picking for the first time this year =D gonna jar em up in honey...

webbykevin
10-01-2011, 14:47
next 2 weeks over running into the full moon should temp a few out of the ground, there has been so much rain, should be awesome.

going back to check out the same field tomorrow, will take my camera.

good hunting guys

psynapsurfa
11-01-2011, 16:31
so subs were they???

post picture of your great find bro :)

so the rest of us can watch and envy.

northern nsw, january, cow field, man, they are NOT subs, dont even need a picture....

psilocybe cubensis...

in that area you may also get the paenolius cyanescans , also known as copelandia cyanescans, cant remember which is the correct name now as it alter from one to the other a few year sback.... no matter...

but i would guess that these would be the cubes... especially if seen from a moving car... they would have been hovering above the grass like some whitish/gold flying saucer.....

the alien being within them was sitting there meditating waiting for the right being to happen passed that happened to display the right level of awareness, empty enough mind, karma, or fresh breath, to reveal themselves... they do this by telepathy.... its a simple process of convolution...

kekekekehahahahha

subs=woodloving cool climate

cubes = dungloving warm humid climate...

nanoo nanaoo :D

psynapsurfa
11-01-2011, 16:43
i think i was trying to spell panaeolus cyanescens...

webbykevin
13-01-2011, 02:42
they would have been hovering above the grass like some whitish/gold flying saucer.....

the alien being within them was sitting there meditating waiting for the right being to happen passed that happened to display the right level of awareness, empty enough mind, karma, or fresh breath, to reveal themselves... they do this by telepathy.... its a simple process of convolution...

This is exactly what happened :)

webbykevin
13-01-2011, 03:25
Here are some pics , I just found these about 20 minutes ago, on the XXXXXXXXX road.

You can see the skirt forming on the young specimen, amazing shrooms, they looked wicked poking up in the field.

see how the stems are bluing where i picked them :)

lovely lovely find.

plenty more guys if you are in nnsw head for the XXXXXXXXXXX they are everywhere, hundreds of em.

kristur
13-01-2011, 03:55
I live in Sydney, more precisely, Sutherland... if anyone knows where that is. I'm pumped for going mushroom hunting for the first time. Is there anyone near my area or anywhere in general that can give me a few tips?

Sameria
13-01-2011, 05:19
Remove that location. The pigs regularly watch this site. Don't tell them where to find innocent mushy hunters!

Forgot to mention they look delicious! lucky guy :)

webbykevin
13-01-2011, 05:22
Remove that location. The pigs regularly watch this site. Don't tell them where to find innocent mushy hunters!

done :)

cosdog
13-01-2011, 07:22
They look f'n Huge webby. Nice find

thestudent14
13-01-2011, 13:58
I live in Sydney, more precisely, Sutherland... if anyone knows where that is. I'm pumped for going mushroom hunting for the first time. Is there anyone near my area or anywhere in general that can give me a few tips?

This will be seen as sourcing, bad luck dude.

Lovegrud
14-01-2011, 22:26
Was thinking about trying to train my dog to sniff them out this season (start with games at home to learn to track the sent,later on when more experienced try field), am aware there is a lot of potential danger in doing this so would take extra precautions (short lead, muzzle etc.) but any opinions on how this might work out?

Have been looking around on the net for any potentially dangerous fungi that would be bad if touched by a dog or any animal and haven't seen any common in VIC. If there is though please tell me.

belarki
14-01-2011, 22:40
^ dogs and pigs are trained to sniff out truffles in Europe so I guess it could work? That'd be a good point of reference to start researching ;) Good thinking regarding researching potentially dangerous fungi they could encounter and eat though. Actually you really wouldn't want them having a nibble on anything psychedelic either.

Also if you're hunting in state/national forests you might want to triple check that dogs are allowed to accompany you too.

Mr. Squiggle!
15-01-2011, 10:45
Those don't look a thing like Psylocibe Cubensis.

For a starters, I see no discolouration of the images.

Anyhoot, gooble em' up friend, and post report!

Lovegrud
16-01-2011, 01:17
@Belarki

Have also found a post on shroomery about training a dog to look for shrooms, from what I understood it is possible but it's difficult to get the dog to distinguish the difference between actives and non-actives. There is no way I'd purposely let the dog even nibble any mushroom, active or nonactive, just too dangerous and I personally don't think animals like anything that mess's with their head. It's just cruel.

It's a pretty unlikely breed of dog I'm going to be trying to teach but if successful it will be a funny thing to show people and a great convo topic. My magic mushroom sniffing pug :)

misfit138
17-01-2011, 06:33
Found bags full of these suckers over the weekend. Mid-North NSW.

Had a nice tea party shortly thereafter!

O-P-8
18-01-2011, 02:54
hello everyone i'm new to the forums, i've picked subs heavily in victoria for the last few years and have spent many sleepless nights dreaming of them in our 'offseason'. This weekend i'm heading up to canberra for a party and was wondering weather it was worth having a look around for some copelandia cyan's (blue meanies) considering the recent rain. If anyone could confirm that these mushrooms are found in the region it would be much appreciated.

peace

BodyHereMindGone
18-01-2011, 04:43
Love this thread.. lol.. So, would u say in about a week or two someone from a more central part of NSW should start their hunt?

pisspotnrock
18-01-2011, 11:56
this thread has actually inspired me to lay off the gear and take a trip downsouth this winter to find some little treasures haha

SpiritFolk
19-01-2011, 08:23
Hi O-P-8,

Welcome to Bluelight.

I am orginally form Canberra and the only mushrooms I have found over the years when I lived there were Subs and the earliest I got them was in May. I even had a patch in the scrub at parliament house and got moved along by some cops/secruity there after I told them I was looking for a tennis court :).

Anyways I have never heard of the cyan's sprouting there so I don't think your in luck. But then again just cause I have never found them there does not mean that it is not possible.

SpiritFolk

Psynwaves
19-01-2011, 09:16
Now im not the most educated person on the topic of mushrooms.. but lets say i threw a bunch of cow shit in a grass patch in the suburbs of sydney and there was good enough rain (which i think there is now) could mushrooms grow from that cow shit patch? Im just a little confused as to why mushrooms grow up as far north as they do... Why not a little closer to town?