Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mushroom Season 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
everytime this thread gets bumped up on the forum makes me count the days remaining until the season start blooming lol.

GUYS STOP BUMPING IT UP!!!

cuz there is still like 4months wait here for sa :(

Head up the coast for the warm climate mushrooms or quit your whinging and suck it up for a few months.

Before you know it, you will be balls deep in subs so it's all good...

hmmm balls deep in subs. now thats a beautiful mental image you have portrayed in my mind MR. :>

and I CAN WHINGE IF I WANT TO CUZ I AM COOL LIKE THAT :>

I have never consumed any type of shroom that wasn't psilocybe subaeruginosa but I know from the potency variation calculators on shroomery that those who do not take this into account when used to weaker mushrooms are very likely to be in for a bad time.

A typical dose of cubes seems to be an eights of an ounce where I have had many batches of subs that just under a gram in tea would have noobs tripping pretty damn hard.

Psychedelics are one class of drugs you can certainly never be too educated on prior to consumption.

Friends report plenty of subs in the pine and eucalyptus forests of the blue mountains. They would most likely start fruiting around June.

Both cubensis and cyanescens commonly grow in Bali. The shakes could be made from one or the other, but I would hazard a guess that the super potent shakes are cyanescens.

Someone who has never tripped before, would easily think that a shake made from cubensis is "the strongest shake in the world", not knowing how deep the rabbit hole really goes...

I have seen so many mushroom casualties where people take doses of subs on par with the doses of cubensis or cysnescens which they took in Bali. This is really asking for a cosmic ass whooping and it is very important to understand the extreme variations in alkaloid content between different species (not to mention the large potency variations between mushrooms, even in the same patch) :)

never knew cubes grow over there, every shake ive ever bought it bali was made from blue meanies (all up in my life, about 10 shakes from several differnt bars/back alley mushroom shops lol)

hahahahaha its funny you mentioned that because two years ago when i got back from bali (first time i had mushrooms over there, they were blue meanies), within a month, my mates scored heaps of subs from a work mate.. well i got about 10 large subs (cap and stem) and i ate about as much as the strongest shake i had it bali.... well, i havnt had subs since :p

^^please do not call them "blue meanies" in this forum. We are here to educate and throughout the world there are several species which are known locally as "blue meanies" (same can be said for "gold tops"). Please identify them by their scientific name (genus, species) and not nicknames...

P. cubensis and it's variants grow on most continents (Africa, Asia, Sth and Nth America and Australia). They are the most common species in the world.

I think you are talking about P. cyanescens when you speak of the blue meanies in Bali, but I could be wrong, as, there are several dung loving species in South East Asia.

if you really cant wait for the winter mushy season, try get a old of some cube spores and grow your own.
its a very educational and rewarding experience.
they arent quite as strong as subs (ie gold tops), but eating more takes care of that :)

I have never consumed any type of shroom that wasn't psilocybe subaeruginosa but I know from the potency variation calculators on shroomery that those who do not take this into account when used to weaker mushrooms are very likely to be in for a bad time.

A typical dose of cubes seems to be an eights of an ounce where I have had many batches of subs that just under a gram in tea would have noobs tripping pretty damn hard.

Psychedelics are one class of drugs you can certainly never be too educated on prior to consumption.

This is very pertinent advice. I've had both subs and cubes and subs are definitely stronger with more potential to throw a tripper into a very dark space (the darkest "fairy-tale" (un)imaginable). I've also found the difference between subs that grow in the Otways and those that grow around the city to be quite pronounced - the environment/growing conditions of the patch affects the strength of the active compounds, sometimes to a large extent.

It's also important to note that the first flush is definitely much stronger than the subsequent ones. A beginner that experienced late-in-the-season subs their first year of shrooming should definitely take more caution when it comes to dosage at the start of their second season.

^^please do not call them "blue meanies" in this forum. We are here to educate and throughout the world there are several species which are known locally as "blue meanies" (same can be said for "gold tops"). Please identify them by their scientific name (genus, species) and not nicknames...

P. cubensis and it's variants grow on most continents (Africa, Asia, Sth and Nth America and Australia). They are the most common species in the world.

I think you are talking about P. cyanescens when you speak of the blue meanies in Bali, but I could be wrong, as, there are several dung loving species in South East Asia.

Im not talking about P. cyanescens, I'm talking about C. cyanescens. The tall white ones that stain blue. (Never actually knew the genus and species until you posted that) Everyone I've talked to about mushrooms refers to them as blue meanies, never met anyone to call any species that is brown in colour a 'blue meanie'.

Having that said, I cant understand someone calling any blue staining mushroom a 'blue meanie' :p

^^^Copelandia cyanescens aka Panaeolus cyanescens... I was never refering to Psilocybe cyanescens. Sorry for any mix up.

Also, I have met southerners who call subs blue meanies because some bruise bluer than others :\ There are plenty of people that call all sorts of psychedelic fungi 'blue meanies' and 'gold tops'.

It is best to use their scientific names to halt any confusion from the beginning...

yeah ive heard blue meanies thrown around alot in melb when ppl are talking about gold tops lol
i cbf using scientific names atm cause its been a long time since i was into that many dif species

what kind of climate do these guys like to party in?
after rain then on a warmish day?

its been cold and raining up here a bit and friends say that they used to find some around tumut, which is in NSW...

I dont live there but its not heaps far away and would prob be my best option...

but its still a fair trip away so i would like to be pretty confident before i depart..

any help would be appreciated!

subs like temps around 6-10 degrees overnight with moist but not saturated conditions if i can remember.
def don't like warm temps.

It dropped to 7 degrees last night, maximum 24 today....
I think i might vetunre up and have a look.

I finish work at 5.15 and takes roughly an hour to get there...

Do they hang around all day or is this going to be a weekend adventure when i can look around midday?

It's too early for subs just yet my friends, but with the sudden drop in temps of late and the very wet summer/early autumn, we could possibly see them starting to fruit between the Peninsula near Melbourne and Wilson's Prom around late March. That will be the absolute earliest on the mainland as the sunlight hours are still a little too long and it's just not cold enough at this stage.

Wait until we get a solid week of 6'ish degree nights and day time temps drop down to 16'ish. Add that to a decent rain event and we should be seeing subs in 3-6 weeks (fingers crossed).

Don't be surprised if it's late April/early or even mid May before we see any in our area's on the mainland, this is the normal start of season so chill out and let mother nature work through it's cycle. I'm definitely putting my money on large fruiting events taking place in Tas within the next few weeks and it could possibly happen within 2 weeks, as, the current weather events down there are about perfect for the reproductive cycle of the sub's mycelium to start working it's magic :)

So all in all, it's not long now, but don't go jumping the gun. All you will find for the next month or so will be other species of fungus which start to reproduce much earlier and in warmer temps than the subs. The subs are one of the last mushroom species to fruit, so follow my above info and don't go out hunting 'just because you saw other species of mushrooms coming up all over the place'. It will only bring disappointment for the time being.

I will let you all know when they start to fruit in the southern most regions of Vic and from that point onward they will fruit across Vic and southern NSW/ACT within weeks, followed by SA in 4-8 weeks and lastly over in southern WA around late June/July.

And yes rsrkt, they hang around all day. Don't believe the myths and other bullshit from the uninformed. Do your own research and find out the facts for yourself. There are so many 'old wives tales' surrounding mushrooms that just boggle the mind once you know the facts. The only (slight) issue with hunting later in the day is that 'some' (a very tiny amount of) Psilocybin in the mushrooms which are in sunny area's 'could' possibly be broken down by sunlight. Other than that, there is no issue hunting at any time of the day. They live for anywhere from 4-10 days on average and they grow slower later in the season as the conditions deteriorate into mid winter and they find it harder to survive. If the area in which you hunt has a lot of mushroom hunting traffic then it may be wise to get in early, otherwise the mushrooms will hang around until they have dropped all their spores and then die.

I love talking about mushrooms tihehehe :)

the place i wanna hit up had 8mm on tuesday, then hit 7deg last night and again tonight..
however it hit 26degrees yeste... and supposed to hit 24 today..
Maybe wont be as warm up there..

its up in the mountains of a forest like area, rough altitute of 700m

So thats is it too warm and i shouldn't even bother?

thanks for you help btw psilo :)

Last edited:
I replied to your PM and yes, don't even bother. Even though the night temps are low, the day temps are way too high and you need a few days of good soaking rain on and off for a couple of weeks.

Take in my above post and when i state they are fruiting in the southern reaches of Vic, wait a few weeks and watch the weather patterns closely, you may be lucky to get them within 6 weeks of Vic's first flushes.

All the best :)

its getting closer :)
cant wait to start seeing pictures of peoples findings, always a fun thing to get excited about :)

Ahhh finally back to my most favorite time of the year - Autumn.

Question - would the floods we experienced in Melbourne at all effect the shroom patches? One of our patches was completely flooded :( And im pretty sure one of my other ones would have been effected too.... would this do any harm?

Im really worried about it. :( Stupid floods.

as long as the patch wasn't washed away or disrupted too much it should be ok.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see then. It will be the first major flooding the area's have had for about 10 years. Fingers crossed it's wont have done too much or any damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.