Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mushroom Season 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking about trying to train my dog to sniff them out this season (start with games at home to learn to track the sent,later on when more experienced try field), am aware there is a lot of potential danger in doing this so would take extra precautions (short lead, muzzle etc.) but any opinions on how this might work out?

Have been looking around on the net for any potentially dangerous fungi that would be bad if touched by a dog or any animal and haven't seen any common in VIC. If there is though please tell me.

^ dogs and pigs are trained to sniff out truffles in Europe so I guess it could work? That'd be a good point of reference to start researching ;) Good thinking regarding researching potentially dangerous fungi they could encounter and eat though. Actually you really wouldn't want them having a nibble on anything psychedelic either.

Also if you're hunting in state/national forests you might want to triple check that dogs are allowed to accompany you too.

Those don't look a thing like Psylocibe Cubensis.

For a starters, I see no discolouration of the images.

Anyhoot, gooble em' up friend, and post report!

@Belarki

Have also found a post on shroomery about training a dog to look for shrooms, from what I understood it is possible but it's difficult to get the dog to distinguish the difference between actives and non-actives. There is no way I'd purposely let the dog even nibble any mushroom, active or nonactive, just too dangerous and I personally don't think animals like anything that mess's with their head. It's just cruel.

It's a pretty unlikely breed of dog I'm going to be trying to teach but if successful it will be a funny thing to show people and a great convo topic. My magic mushroom sniffing pug :)

Found bags full of these suckers over the weekend. Mid-North NSW.

Had a nice tea party shortly thereafter!

IMG_20110115_172256.jpg

hello everyone i'm new to the forums, i've picked subs heavily in victoria for the last few years and have spent many sleepless nights dreaming of them in our 'offseason'. This weekend i'm heading up to canberra for a party and was wondering weather it was worth having a look around for some copelandia cyan's (blue meanies) considering the recent rain. If anyone could confirm that these mushrooms are found in the region it would be much appreciated.

peace

Love this thread.. lol.. So, would u say in about a week or two someone from a more central part of NSW should start their hunt?

this thread has actually inspired me to lay off the gear and take a trip downsouth this winter to find some little treasures haha

Hi O-P-8,

Welcome to Bluelight.

I am orginally form Canberra and the only mushrooms I have found over the years when I lived there were Subs and the earliest I got them was in May. I even had a patch in the scrub at parliament house and got moved along by some cops/secruity there after I told them I was looking for a tennis court :).

Anyways I have never heard of the cyan's sprouting there so I don't think your in luck. But then again just cause I have never found them there does not mean that it is not possible.

SpiritFolk

Now im not the most educated person on the topic of mushrooms.. but lets say i threw a bunch of cow shit in a grass patch in the suburbs of sydney and there was good enough rain (which i think there is now) could mushrooms grow from that cow shit patch? Im just a little confused as to why mushrooms grow up as far north as they do... Why not a little closer to town?

quick question, the gold tops found in southwest WA stain blue when pinched, correct?

Now im not the most educated person on the topic of mushrooms.. but lets say i threw a bunch of cow shit in a grass patch in the suburbs of sydney and there was good enough rain (which i think there is now) could mushrooms grow from that cow shit patch? Im just a little confused as to why mushrooms grow up as far north as they do... Why not a little closer to town?

Humidity

Last edited:
Now im not the most educated person on the topic of mushrooms.. but lets say i threw a bunch of cow shit in a grass patch in the suburbs of sydney and there was good enough rain (which i think there is now) could mushrooms grow from that cow shit patch?

Not if they don't grow there naturally. As in Sydney. But I had wondered about fertilising fields which didn't have mushrooms when fields in nearby suburbs contained mushrooms. I think maybe you'd feed cows some grass containing the mushroom spores, and the cow creates the shit rather than you bringing the shit to the paddock.

That I think is that natural way mushrooms spread and grow.

I am also interested in this idea, I live in northern nsw and was wondering if putting a few fresh cow pats from the field up the road, (where cubes grow) in the back yard, and scrape a few spores from prints onto them, them give them a good misting with the hose, would this work, as I cant get it together to do the sterilized jars and stuff.

Hypothetically of course.

so anyway, does anyone know how similar the appearance of the goldtops and the poisonous look-alikes are (ones that turn blue when pinched)?? this is referring to south-west WA...

any information would be much appreciated as this winter will be my first season of hunting and obvious need to info so i dont poisen myself and others...

^ I haven't gone picking before, but if you are unsure you can put the pics up on shroomery.org and they will help ID them for you.

^^ yer lol but i wasnt gonna go hunting to get a collection goin... biningup in S.W, W.A has a verrryyy heavy police presence and every season, theres bulk shit in the local media about pickers gettin busted...

so having that said, me and my mates were just gonna go walking in the pine forest where they grow and eat what i find then go for a surf at margret river afterwards :)

maybe someone that knows a bit about WA mushrooms could give a word or two? thanks for the advice but mr blonde for future reference...

^ If you are going to just eat what you find then you might want to do a bit more research then just asking on this forum.

Look at all the pictures you can find. Make a list of all the distinguishing features. Learn the differences between the active species and the inactive species.

Status
Not open for further replies.