Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mushroom Season 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Can't give specific locations but in WA you would expect to find Psilocybe Subaeruginosa. Southern WA is best I believe. Your season will start up a bit later than the rest of Australia. I believe most really good mushroom spots are known to police and unlike most other states patrolling these areas is somewhat of a priority in the regions where subs are prominent.

Can't wait to get hunting! It's been a while since I've had some shrooms, and I'm really looking to get back into it. Plus it's such a great excuse to spend weekends getting the hell out of Sydney and up into the Blue Mountains. =D

hahaha good call.
maybe thats how all the easter bunny business all started...

still a few too many warm days and not quite enough moisture around in general melb, but getting closer!

still a few too many warm days and not quite enough moisture around in general melb, but getting closer!

We should see some small finds in the next 3-5 days with the current weather patterns. The warm spell has set the season back a week or two but, this cooler weather and rain will get the subs fruiting soon enough. I would be surprised if we don't see some subs in SE Melb by the weekend. They wont be prolific just yet but, they will appear in wet, low lying parts of wood chipped garden beds after the recent rain and a few cooler days. Don't jump the gun if you're in Melb. Wait until Thursday at the earliest for the recent rains to work their magic. Alpine areas are already producing small amounts and this will increase over coming days.

Psilo something interesting happened with some shrooms on the weekend I was wondering if you could shed some light. Basically some mates of mine went out shrooming and I decided to take a break for the week. They find some mushies already dried in the ground where they were growing which I've never heard of before. After eating just 5, my mate (who is plenty experienced with psychedelics) had an incredibly intense trip to the point where he couldn't even communicate with people. I've had some what seems like above normal strength trips lately as well. What would/could lead to mushrooms being more potent with psilocybin? Have you ever seen shrooms dry in the ground? I am just curious about the whole thing because I've just never come across it before.

Psilo something interesting happened with some shrooms on the weekend I was wondering if you could shed some light. Basically some mates of mine went out shrooming and I decided to take a break for the week. They find some mushies already dried in the ground where they were growing which I've never heard of before. After eating just 5, my mate (who is plenty experienced with psychedelics) had an incredibly intense trip to the point where he couldn't even communicate with people. I've had some what seems like above normal strength trips lately as well. What would/could lead to mushrooms being more potent with psilocybin? Have you ever seen shrooms dry in the ground? I am just curious about the whole thing because I've just never come across it before.

Was this your mates first trip for a while? Decreased tolerance over summer could cause this.

Also, i have generally found the first flush of shrooms at the start of the season to be more potent.

Could potentially just be a more potent patch in general.

i have found pins that have stopped growing due to dry weather to be as potent as a full size mushroom, but first flush as said above is usually the pick of the bunch so to speak.

I have seen dried mushrooms that are still standing in the ground. It is rare, as, most mushrooms tend to rot down from their standing position but, in the correct conditions they do dry up in a standing position.

As stated above me, the first flush tends to be the most potent and if the person hadn't tripped for a while (since last season maybe) he may be in for a long ride.

Freshly dried shrooms, like the ones that would have been consumed, contain very high levels of active alkaloids and should be treated with all due respect.

On a side note. I warn other hunters that intend on breaking their friends "mushroom cherries" this season to be as careful as they can when selecting a dose for a first timer. 1 dry gram (10g fresh) of subs can be more than enough for a first timer and it's always best to start low. You can always try them again, it's free fungi from the ground after all :)

lol, i must be clairvoyant... i was just thinking today "geez, we just had some nice rain, and it's cold as crap... shouldn't mushroom season start really soon?" and here we are, being advised by the pro to be getting out hunting hats on. good luck all, i'll be looking out over the coming weekend and will let ya know how it's gone :)

Had a 2 hour hunt friday arvo-at altitude- for a solitary return!Tipping solid returns this weekend obvoiusly due to the drastic weather shift.Interesting to note- that I tend to find subs on the higher side of walking trails, possibly because rainfall gets trapped in the button/native grasses to the edge of these trails-interesting to hear everyones thoughts?

I had a walk on the weekend, and found a few what seemed to be Psilocybe cyanescens. But when I tried the bruise test, I got nothing, so I left them alone. Now honestly I'm not sure if they will bruise up, as I've had no experience picking them before. I've picked Psilocybe cubensis and Panaeolus cyanescens, but not hunting in the Blue Mountains.

So my question is, anyone found any Psilocybe cyanescens in Blue Mountains before, and do they bruise up that wonderful blue/greenish colour when squeezed?

Psilocybe cyanescens is not a Blue Mountains local and I doubt that is what you found wraithdragon. They are found in the pacific north west and parts of the UK and Europe.

It's far more likely that you found Psilocybe subaeruginosa or a look alike. The subs do look similar to Psilocybe cyanescens and both bruise a heavenly blue. Google pics of both and you will be surprised by some of the similarities. Another similar looking species is Psilocybe azurescens which is also a pacific north west mushroom.

Last edited:
I stumbled across a patch in nice wood chipped/mulsh near my place. After the rains they popped up. When i try to see if the bruise there is nothing. Is this because i was 2 late to the patch or something else?

Hard to say fieldy. I'd try spore printing them and unless you get a purple-brown print I would just throw them out to be safe. There will be plenty of subs up in coming days so better to be safe than sorry

Psilocybe cyanescens is not a Blue Mountains local and I doubt that is what you found wraithdragon. They are found in the pacific north west and parts of the UK and Europe.

It's far more likely that you found Psilocybe subaeruginosa or a look alike. The subs do look similar to Psilocybe cyanescens and both bruise a heavenly blue. Gogle pics of both and you will be surprised by some of the similarities. Another similar looking species is Psilocybe azurescens which is also a pacific north west mushroom.

Thanks Psilo!

I was pretty dubious about it really, it was my mate that adamantly said they were Psilocybe cyanescens, though he has no experience picking. I didn't have a camera at the time so I didn't get any pics, but I will take one next time.

But at the end of the day it didn't bruise blue so perhaps it was a similar mushroom, but not of the magic variety?

Thanks for the info! I want so bad to get my hand on some fresh wild shrooms, but I want to stay safe in the process! =D When in doubt, ask! I'd rather look like a fool that be a fool. =P

Well it rained a shitload today in melbourne (so much that flinders st and other train stations were flooded). This can be only a good thing for mushies.

Also my friend heard a show on the radio talking about the up coming mushroom season. She was referring to non-active mushrooms though but i'm guessing it still applies? Saying because of all the rain we've had that we are in for a really good season.

Last edited:
we've had great weather in adelaide the past few days, real cold at night and rain all weekend. i know its still early for Adelaide but i might go check my spot tomorrow morning and post back here. there are heaps of non actives growing around my area atm (deep south)

Status
Not open for further replies.