Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Tryptinol and Fenac + MDMA

entropope

Bluelighter
rx-list.com seems to have removed it's search function at some point
frown.gif

A good friend of mine is on some medications. So we need to know if she's ok to pill. (She refuses to ask her GP)
She's on a mild antidepressant called 'tryptinol' and an anti-inflammatory called 'fenac' (dicyclofenac-sodium)
As far as I can tell, the tryptinol is not an MAOI, and there's no warning about it being so on the packet... which I'll get to have a proper look at before the w/e hopefully.

found a little info on tryptanol.
It works as an SSRI.
Ok now I'm a little rusty here... I know I'd like to get some off her to reduce my neurotoxicity on comedowns
smile.gif
But as for someone that's regularly on SSRIs what's the story?

Tryptanol is a Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitor.
MDMA relies on the reuptake of seratonin to give you that yummy scrummy gushy feelin'.
So they kinda cancel each other out.
People who are on an SSRI shouldn't mess with their seratonin. My wife is on an SSRI - I go the E route, she's a speed-freak... Tuesdays are so not pretty at our place.
------------------
Empathy. Grace.

AFAIK, SSRI + MDMA = bzZt, pill won't work.
Unless she has stopped taking the tryptanol a couple of weeks prior (at least) I don't think a pill will have any (desired) effect on her.
More info here.
Dunno about fenac.
[This message has been edited by luro (edited 25 September 2001).]

I know from experience that this applies to at least prozac, aropax and zoloft, so therefore probably (?) to all SSRI medications:
If you're regularly taking an SSRI, the effect of MDMA will be either (depending on dosages/luck/fate/whatever!) less intense/pleasurable, drastically reduced or cancelled out altogether. Also, although I'm not sure of the truth of this, I think I've heard somewhere that it can be potentially dangerous (serotonin syndrome?) to combine MDMA with SSRIs... I'm pretty sure there's a thread on this ("SSRIs & MDMA - the final word" or something) in one of the forums here with about 98547983547 replies, so if you have a look around that might be helpful.
smile.gif

[runs off to sit in a corner and ponder my current retarded mental state.. gotta love tuesdays :/ ]
------------------
Today a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration... that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively - there's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. here's Tom with the weather!

Ok, as everyone esle has said, SSRI = zip MDMA effect. Well, not zip, but zip enough for it to be a waste of time. If said person decided to wean themselves off it (usually needing 2-3 weeks to get off and so on) the fenac would be ok, but not advisable because it is fairly harsh on the stomach, and so is MDMA. So the combined effect may cause major stomach upset and possible vomiting, pain etc. If however both fenac and MDMA were taken on full stomach, all undesireable side effects in the stomach MAY be eliminated.

Hey.. I just thought (!) of yet another feasible conspiracy theory
smile.gif

Given the fact that any SSRI (especially the well known ones) is going to be a massive source of income for the parent pharmaceutical company, and that "depression" is commonly/excessively diagnosed & medicated in so many people today, it'd make a lot of sense to think that said pharmaceutical companies would view _any_ substance with the potential to threaten their product's position as something to be eliminated. Therefore, access to stuff like 5-HTP is denied/heavily restricted, and negative rumours about the _ultimate_ acute antidepressant (MDMA!) circulated to the most unlikely/effective places, ie forums like bluelight...?
Anyone?
wink.gif
[/paranoia]
------------------
Today a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration... that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively - there's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. here's Tom with the weather!
[This message has been edited by lsd303 (edited 25 September 2001).]

Don't wean yourself off an SSRI - it says "Don't stop taking this medicine" on the packet for a really good reason. 'cos you went to the GP originally as your mood was fucked up enough to warrant seeking medical help.
MDMA seriuously frigs with the mood of people who don't normally suffer bouts of serious depression... accept it's not the drug for you for the time being and move on.
Plenty more highs to be had.
------------------
Empathy. Grace.
[This message has been edited by andieman (edited 25 September 2001).]

What's the generic (chemical) name for 'tryptinol'? I just had a look through the general index of the latest Martindale (pharm. reference) and can't find anything under that name. I've never heard of it either, which is unusual seeing I have (unfortunately) pretty involved experience with all of the well known anti-D's.. Anyway, at a _guess_, it'd probably start working as an SSRI once absorption is complete after the first dose, ie after .5-2 hours or so. If you wanna know for sure, gimme the generic name & I'll look it up!
smile.gif

------------------

Ahh, ok, I _have_ heard of that one, just didn't know it was called Tryptanol.. I assume that's a generic brand or something, 'cos amitriptyline is generally known here as 'Endep', AFAIK.
[shrugs]
[This message has been edited by lsd303 (edited 26 September 2001).]

uh-huh
so it's not an SSRI... but it's main action is that it inhibits seratonin reuptake, with little other influential action. End result is the same yeah?
I'll tell her not to bother with pills for a the time being.

Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) do indeed selectively inhibit seratonin reuptake, but in addition they also selectively inhibit the reuptake of norepinephrine. TCAs also block muscarinic, histaminergic, and adrenergic receptors in vitro. Pharmacologic activity at these receptors is hypothesized to be associated with the various anticholinergic, sedative, and cardiovascular effects seen with other psychotropic drugs.
Due to the seratonin reuptake inhibition your friend would probably notice a decreased peak intensity while the effects of amitriptyline remain in her system.
There is one school of thought that suggests TCAs are contra-indicated with amphetamines, because they can increase cardiovascular effects (as I mentioned above). Some TCAs and MDMA on it's own have cardiovascular effects, and combining them has the possiblity of exacerbating this. I would advise her to take caution.
In light of the possible negatives, I think your friend should weigh up the potential merits of taking MDMA. It would be possible for her to cease taking the anti-depressants for a week or two before dropping if she's determined to experience MDMA now. Most would advise against ceasing prescription antidepressant medication, but it may be a risk she is willing to take. It is in my own opinion that of all the people taking prescribed antidepressants for each person who really needs them, there are at least five people who do not.
Caveat emptor, and YMMV. Know yourself and your chemicals.
BigTraner
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

For what it's worth, I've been on 'prothiaden' (dothiepin hcl), which is a tricyclic, for quite a while now. I've never noticed any lessening/change of the effects of any 'common' party drugs (lsd, pills, meth etc), certainly not like the blocking effect that straight SSRIs have.
While there might be dangers (according to BT's post) in combining tricyclics with non-prescription medication (
wink.gif
), hell, there's dangers in doing the shit we do at the best of times.. I've lost count of the number of times I've had uppers while on this stuff, and I'm still breathing
smile.gif

However.. if there are significant dangers (which, like I said, I wasn't aware of), I guess my opinion shouldn't be read as an endorsement to do it anyway. Perhaps I'm just lucky.. don't try this at home!
------------------
[This message has been edited by lsd303 (edited 27 September 2001).]

This sounds like one for the Med Forum (sounds like I am trying to drum up business!)
If you want my 2 cents on tri-cyclic anti-depressants like amytriptyline/Tryptanol with e see here: http://www2.bluelight.ru/ubb/Forum15/HTML/003083.html?reload=1
And for a further 2 cents on the NSAID ibuprofen, which is similar to FENAC (diclofenac) see here: http://www2.bluelight.ru/ubb/Forum15/HTML/003032.html?reload=4
giving you a grand total of 4 cents! Don't spend it all at once!
At the risk of sounding like a big nasty moderator, I say this: I think the well-meaning but inaccurate posts re:amytriptyline being an SSRI are a good example of the need for peeps to check the facts! No offence meant, because I know the intent was all good, but we don't want to give out dodgy info.
PS: that must be at least 10 cents worth
[This message has been edited by babydoc_vic (edited 27 September 2001).]

Cheers for info! I'll pass it on.
Yes all facts must be checked... that's why I'm posting in here with any info I managed to get as a guide for peeps that know their shyte! Everythings come out well in the wash yeah?
Thanks again.

I know someone that is on Tryptinol, and have been there when they dropped. They still managed to roll... your friend will be fine
smile.gif