Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

clashing comments about aniseed smell

teXman01

Bluelighter
I am concerned a little here. Over the past few months I've read a few posts on here regarding pills/powders with an aniseed type smell. The general consensus I got was that this was from Saffrole (and it was because the production of MDMA was not carried out precisely there were undisolved parts which leaves this smell. I've just been at pill reports reading a post about the blue PMA caps http://www.pillreports.com/viewpill.php3?sub=-1&area=3&id=16405
and have read the following
first this:
"P.S These blue PMA caps look exactly like blue caps so people if you're gonna drop a blue cap, PLEASE PLEASE smell it first. The blue PMA caps have a very strong odour. I've lost one friend this week, I don't want to lose any more."
followed by:
"I'm just wondering what the strong odour is? I have some caps with a stong aniseed or licorice smell to them.
Is this charecteristic of all PMA caps/pills?"
and then:
"yeah man, ffs don't take them... we don't need another dead. Even if u think there's a possibility that its gonna be PMA, chuck it away... "
So this is kinda saying the aniseed smell is PMA ? anyone able to prove this or back this up with any info? http://www2.bluelight.ru/ubb/Forum35/HTML/000608.html
is where I saw these comments, and they referenced Shulgins work. I have not looked this up, however I think someone (who knows) needs to clear this up.
As i mentioned in a comment on that pillreport above, ive seen pills that test typical MDXX reactions (black) and have a faint aniseed smell. (green question marks, blue motorola, some HQ's ) I havent heard any reports of PMA in these? (the blue motorola in on the dancesafe site saying its only MDMA.. could be different batch, but look identical..(http://www.dancesafe.org/labtesting/pill-display.php?keywords=blue+motorola&color_id=&limit=25)
anyways, hope someone can shed some light
thanks

some of them think PMA has an aniseed smell which is slightly different to a sassafras smell. Honestly I don't think I could pick the difference, but some people say that they can recognise the difference. As you can tell, smell isn't a good indicator, trust the tester instead.

the silver dollar pills were the strongest smelling aniseed pills i've ever encounterred!
They tested MD on E1.
i had well more than a toxic dose if they were PMA.
if they were PMA... i would be dead!!
conclusions:
the aniseed smell is Saffrole.
MD can smell this way.
Knowledge of PMA is limited... i dont think i've taken it, certainly not knowingly. I do believe however that the smell would be similar, but only when "cheap/shortcuts" are taken during reduction/bleaching phases of manufacture. PMA can be odourless.
conclusion:
buy an e2 tester so you can be sure, before you try those caps.
finally, r u in SA?
it seems to be a hot bed for PMA in AUS.
I've barely heard it mentionned in Melb. and when i ask around friends none of them even know what it is.
------------------
http://pla.iwarp.com/

Please dont trust smell.
You guys must understand that there r heaps of steps from precursor oil to final crystallised product.
I do not know what 100% pure XXX-amphetamine product smells like, do u?
Almost all syntheses go through a KETONE before becoming the amphetamine.
Ketones smell also, often differently than the original precursor.
It is far far more likely u have ketone in the mixture and not safrole or the like.
Of course maybe u have none of these things.
No who knows what the ketones smell like.. i dont.
If i had access to these i be salvating at the though of making my own amphetamines, not that i ever would.
I personally think the aniseed smell that has been linked to safrole is a bit of an urban myth. Sassafras oil doesnt really smell like aniseed.
PMA may be made from anise oil, which i am guessing may smell like aniseed.
It can also be made from anisaldehyde (paramethoxybenzaldehyde).
I have personally used this stuff and it STINKS like the strongest aniseed smell u'll ever get.
Its very very probable some PMA may be made from this stuff.
Chemicals related to PMA synthesis, is imo likely to smell more like aniseed than those found in MDXX syntheses.
But saying that it is not like its an exact science. You dont really know whats causing the substance to smell like it does and personally i would be wary of any capsules around at the moment.

flying saucers(sometimes called UFO)
white pill
7mm x 6mm tall
2mm bevell both sides
strong smell of aniseed
e1 purple to black.
e2 blue to black.
------------------
http://pla.iwarp.com/

^
|
Excellent post Biscuit, awesome info! Thanks
biggrin.gif

BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

A while bak, say about 2 months ago, i got onto some brown md powder, it was rather strong smelling like annised, and it was about as brown as say coco for drinking, when tested it fizzed black, to my knowledge it was mdma, does anyone have any other conclusions as to what it may have been, but boi oh boi did it smell like saffrole.
------------------
*****i Am ThE tRiBaL ALiEn*****

From Gale encyclopedia of alternative medicine:
ANISE:
Steam distillation of the crushed aniseed yields from 2.5 to 3.5% of a fragrant, syrupy, essential, or volatile, oil, of which anethole, present at about 90%, is the principal aromatic constituent.
In addition to its medicinal properties, anise is widely used for flavoring curries, breads, soups, cakes, candies, desserts, nonalcoholic beverages, and liqueurs such as anisette...."
Antheole is to PMA, what ISOsafrole is to MDMA.
As most methods require safrole to be turned into isosafrole first, this anise oil is actually a more powerful source for PMA than sassafras (only has safrole) is for MDXX.
So i think there is no doubt about PMAs aniseed links.
The anisaldehyde i speak of would be even more strongly smelling of aniseed than the antheole. (aromatic aldehydes are extremely offensive in their smell
smile.gif

My post is not intended to endorse smelling, u are smelling an unknown powder, not a labelled essential oil. Who knows whats in there, or whats been done to it along the way.
And as people on this site continue to remind everyone, sassfras apparently smells like aniseed (i havent read any aromatherapy texts which concur); so they both must smell like aniseed; and so its not overly helpful and potentially dangerous to rely on.
[This message has been edited by Biscuit (edited 05 September 2001).]

Rusty - what you've described is MDMA powder, i know this from first hand experience. savour the gear (if you've still got it) - it is the most chopped i have ever been.

SUPASPEED all gones dude, me and 2 mates chewed through about 5 grams in a fortnight, but hell yeah twas very good, just a lil scared it may have been pma...
rock on......
WISH THERE WAS MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
------------------
*****i Am ThE tRiBaL ALiEn*****

I know for one i would have done a lethal dose of PMA if it were the prominent active substance in pills i have had which smelt strongly of aniseed.
It freaked me out a bit to read that people believed *only* PMA casued this smell as the best pills I've ever had have always had this smell in various degrees of strengh.
And of those times i used them, like mentioned before, would have been quite lethal (eg some of my friends had 2-3 of them in one long night) (p.s they all tested black, we always test everything)
This thread hasnt really cleared up too much.. i guess its saying it could be either..
texman out.

I'm from Adelaide and have some experience with the Dr Death caps. I think that Ianhard's reference to an aniseed smell should only be taken seriously if you are getting caps in Adelaide no matter what the colour. I've had pills with a similar smell that were fine. By the way, the PMA caps test up clear! so if you test them there should be no confusion. I have a very limited knowlegde of chemistry and my opinions are just based on personal experience. I don't feel comfortable taking any caps in Adeliade because you just don't know what your getting and if it's a mixture with PMA. There certainly is no shortage of the stuff here and it's been around for at least 5 years.