Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Ecstasy & Heatstroke

sneak2

Bluelighter
Interesting report from Adelaide on MSN today...
Breakthrough made in ecstasy deaths
Australian researchers have found that designer drug ecstasy causes a severe drop in blood flow to the skin - which could contribute to heatstroke.
Most research into ecstasy's sometimes fatal side effects has concentrated on heat production caused by the drug, which increases the metabolic rate in users, many of whom take it while dancing for hours.
Both of those factors generate extra heat, sending body temperature soaring, causing membranes to break down, renal failure and brain swelling.
However, the researchers at Adelaide's Flinders Medical Centre are the first to study whether the drug also affects the body's ability to cool itself, New Scientist magazine says.
The team, led by William Blessing, gave ecstasy to rabbits and found that it triggered severe constriction of the blood vessels leading to the skin in their ears.
"Blood flow drops to near zero straight away. The ear goes as white as a sheet," Blessing says.
Diverting blood to the skin is an important way of cooling down, so this could contribute to the heatstroke that has killed more than 100 people worldwide since ecstasy hit the club scene 15 years ago.
The researchers restored blood flow in the rabbits' ears to normal with a drug called clozapine, which blocks serotonin receptors in the brain and is normally used to treat schizophrenia.
Clozapine can have severe side effects so would not be ideal as an antidote to ecstasy, but Blessing suggests similar drugs could help people suffering from heatstroke.

it's killed 15 people worldwide in 15 years.... i'm sure they could be doing research on more important things....
maybe they just want the excuse to have pharmaceudical grade mdma in their grubby little hands
wink.gif

------------------
~sleep is for the week~

perhaps the research is being done so that the huge amount of people who comsume the drug worldwide can be more informed of how the drug is effecting their bodies. i would say this is research resources well spent imo.

I heard about this on JJJ... Any research involving mdma is good because we have so little concrete evidence... However research on animals is not so good not only from an animal rights point of view, but also from a physiologically different point of view... Just because it does something for rats doesn't mean it will do it for humans... Not that I know anything about biology really...

They have infact known this sort of thing for YEARS. I remember atleast 6 months ago reading about multiple studies on mice.
Eg
A study was done to demonstrate how the body could not cool or heat itself properly when on MDMA.
Mice were given the drug and gradually the temperature was driven up to the point where a mouse(any animal) would begin measures to drop its temperature.Eg lick its feet/legs, pant, , quick breathing, more blood to the skin. Although instead it would not notice the rise in its temp and so would allow its body temp to keep rising, leading to eventuall death or heat stroke.
The same would happen if the temperatue was gradually lowered. The animal wouldn't begin measures to warm itself, cause it didn't feel it was cold and the body didn't activate automatic measures to keep warm.
The same happens with us. If we dance away we dont notice that we are extremely hot. You have to physically do things to cool yourself instead of trusting your body to do it for us. Remember to take breaks every now and then. Although, its not necessarily a good idea to just walk out side into the freezing night for extended periods, cause your body temp might drop to far to rapidly.
Its a good idea to just wet your face and hands when you walk near toilets, to improve the amount of water evaporating from your skin.
Be safe,
------------------
I said....nice one brova!!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by robE (edited 02 September 2001).]

This explains why i look like a ghost after a couple of pills.
biggrin.gif

Incidentally,
I really would have liked to have handled the rabbits during the test -> rabbits being their cute selves with out the tendancey to bite your didgits off would have been something
biggrin.gif

------------------
------------------------>
MS-NOS 6 Non-Operating System