Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Life Span of a club

from_straight_ A_2 Es

Bluelighter
A couple o months ago i heard from several independent sources that Home was in financial trouble and set to close by the end of July, the promoters had left the country and sale negotiations were in progress. Thankfully this wasn't the case but, i was just wondering if anyone else heard these rumours and could shed some light. I heard the London branch was closed for a while with a drug bust, but its back up and running.
Also i was wondering what everyones opinion is regarding the life span of a club/bar. Some seem to go great guns for years, whereas others can only sustain a few months before shutting up shop. Obviously with the shit clubs, overheads stack up and lead to its close, but what determines the fall of grace of those great clubs. Will there be a time when I'll look back on Home and think, "fuck that place used to be awsome... pity its a shit hole now"

cant say much about sydney clubs, but perth clubs all compete with each other by playing the same music (namely hardhouse, cheesey trance). this means that everyone goes to one or two clubs.
the clubs people go to doesnt seem to be related to the music they play but probably the one which didnt have a gang war the weekend before (conspired of course to get people out of a club). the club recovers by relaunching under a new name - same music though of course.
this means that you never get good groups of people which are dedicated to the music in a club. the globe (maybe) being the only exception. if clubs like the church had a bit of guts and offered new styles of music (minus the anthems) the atmosphers in the clubs would get much better and they wouldnt just have to share the market.
sorry if a bit off topic, just had to winge
smile.gif

Welcome to bluelight, please fasten your seat belts and remember to read the posting guidelines- thank you for choosing bluelight-have a nice flight..
------------------
*I've tried most drugs but, Ecstasy would have to rate as being the sweetest of them all*

ABOUT 9 MONTHS.
3 months to come on
3 months in the peak
3 months wearing off.
I'm serious, i've thought about this before, being in perth i'll give and example:
Globe has revamped 3 times in my clubbing history . . . being:
1)Detour/Gravity
then
2)Large
now
3)Technique
And the cycle is really about 9 months, at first it's quiet and slowly builds up until everyone hears that it's good/new/fresh/underground/ and then it gets a solid crowd who go regularly for a few months and then every man and his dog decide to come along, the atmosphere begins to suck, the same old tunes are played, and people move on, it's closed for a few weeks and then re-opens with a new name and featured djs and the cycle begins again.
At the moment i feel Technique to be in the wind down phase, and no doubt it'll have a new name and image come summer . . .
------------------
And as things fell apart
Nobody paid much attention
(Talking Heads)

Niche and demographic.
Clubs have to make money.
They start out playing to a certain niche to establish their name/ credibility but often swing towards the sounds that attract the spenders. Normally house/ hard house/ prog. trance - so you have many clubs marketing to the same demographic and when lots of dogs fight over the same bone - only the strong and inventive survive.
------------------
Empathy. Grace.

Off to social soon...
Most melbourne clubs seem to have a relatively long life span... Teriyaki has been going for 5 years and has so far had 5 venues (correct me if I'm wrong) ...The last venue has been used for a little under 3 years I believe... It's closing soon, but the club will go on, just in another venue...
Hard Handy has been at Billboards for ages, no idea how long...
@mosphere has been going for a good stint now...
Bass Station has been around for years too, at the one club, CBD
Filter has been at the Lounge for at least 3 years too...
Any melbournites with a better memory than me, feel free to correct my stats
smile.gif