Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Daily Telegraph - Sniffer dog raids 'illegal'

DoC

Bluelighter
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,2577401%255E2,00.html
THE use of police sniffer dogs in random drug searches is to be challenged in court after claims that police have been acting illegally.
More than 20 people have been advised by the Redfern Legal Centre in Sydney they have a case against police after being searched by the dogs.
They include a DJ from a city nightclub who was told to stop playing to a large audience before being searched by a police with a dog.
Another man lost his job after he was searched at a Surry Hills hotel and accused of associating with people who had used drugs.
Lawyers from the centre claim the act of a dog sniffing a person constitutes a search but there is currently no legislation covering such action.
Police use 12 drug sniffing dogs across the state to search for illegal substances which include cannabis and ecstasy.
NSW Council for Civil Liberties president Cameron Murphy said today random drug searches by police dogs were an unnecessary invasion of privacy.
"You don't go round searching everybody until you find someone that's guilty of something," he said.
"It's supposed to work the other way around and you only conduct things like searches when you've got evidence of wrongdoing and the way the police are using these dogs at the moment is just to search first and then make people turn out their pockets.
"We have got advice that suggests that when the dog actually sniffs, it is conducting the search under the control of the police officer.
"So there is no reasonable suspicion, they are just searching large numbers of people."
Under the NSW Drugs Misuse and Trafficking Act (1985), police are allowed to stop, search and detain people if there is a reasonable suspicion they are carrying prohibited drugs.
Mr Murphy said police were wasting time and money using the sniffer dogs to catch people with small quantities of drugs.
"We've got people who work in hospitals and other environments where they are [working with] drugs all day that the dogs will pick up," he said.
"They are being forced to justify their actions.
"Police have charged a lot of people with possession and the only dealers that they've managed to get out of this are people charged with supply offences.
"It's just laughable to suggest that someone caught with two ecstasy tablets in their pocket is a dealer.
"The whole policy of drugs has shifted away from targeting users toward the 'Mr Bigs'.
"They are spending an awful lot of money trying to justify this canine unit.
"All they are doing is targeting users. It clogs the court system up, most of these people will plead guilty and they'll get a criminal record or a fine and it takes up an enormous amount of court time.
"Meanwhile, the Government is moving away from this by having a cannabis cautioning program, a drug court and they are looking at a cautioning program for other drugs.
Mr Murphy said the sniffer dog exercise "seemed to be a colossal waste of resources".
"When there are unsolved murders and rapes that do need resources, why are the police wasting money on this?"

thankgod for once somebody is talking sense. wasting don't know how much money in raids which make nosense and have no outcomes. rather then allocating the funds to hospitals and healthcare, we spend money taking care of bloody dogs. and rather then spending money on doing proper medical researches on certain substances and its harm, our current goverment does not even want to debate the issue of things like trial rooms, which will save lives. suck of monarch. it sucks big time that even today political votes more or else decide what is right and wrong. like we see how all of a sudden they keep changing their moods on certain issues.
[This message has been edited by bmradio (edited 13 August 2001).]

DoC
Nice info... however i'd just prefer to challenge the cop to a game of wall ball.
If he wins he can arrest me, if i win I get to beat the living shit out of him, stab him in the eye with a pineapple, then piss in his ear....

Fuck the guy that wrote that is a Sick Kunt, i saw it on the news tonight as well. Haha Hmmm well thats all i have to say!

bmradio
What can I say ? I have a distinct dislike for the way police are currently targeting Mr Little. I mean, the last time I was at frontier (Crunch with Ben Sims) I saw the dogs catch one young punter (young = 21ish)
for what i could tell was about three pills.
God knows this guy could have been a Uni student and that could be nearly 1/2 of his weekly spending cash and now he's either had them crushed or going to court.
Hardly seems like justice does it.
I think somebody should be visiting cops houses with dogs... lets see what turns up there
wink.gif

I know just wish that lawyers sues the balls off the cops. A friend of mine was wrongly charged with theft for laptop he found at the tram stop. Howz that. So now u might hear in melbourne, quite a litigation case coming up soon

mmm, sounds an interesting case.
However if successful, it would pretty much render sniffer dogs useless, as why bother with one when you already have reasonable cause to do a proper search. If it is found to be an illegal search I would be pretty confident in the NSW government legislating to allow them regardless.
The other interesting facet is if it is found that simply being in a nightclub is sufficient to amount to reasonable cause. If so, those heroin house laws now in place in NSW will become pretty applicable and could be used to screw the scene. I think you guys are stuffed both ways
frown.gif

pundi
I think we should seperate club raiding and sniffer dogs on the street into two seperate issues.
If somebody had the balls (and the financial backing) I think there would be a strong case against the police regarding both issues at the moment.
I truly think that they are overstepping civil liberties and can no longer hide behind that very grey area of search on suspicion.
They are not acting in a democratic fashion, it is really starting to feel like a police state in Sydney. Here is morally the perfect world...
---Raids---
We should all have no objections to clubs being raided, only if the police have previously obtained eveidence of the club dealing and the purpose of the raid is what is should be, to close the club down. The raid should NOT be actioned to illegally detain people in the search of busting some poor little punter and scaring the shit out of clubbers.
---Dogs on the Street--
There is NO WAY anybody should tolerate this, unless we change the continent we live on to the middle east (no offence intended).
We all expect this at airports, fine, but not on the streets. Cops should just work a little harder on catching Mr Big.
Its fairly obvious that Peter Ryan is receiving shitloads of pressure due to the Herion issue in Sydney at the moment, so what does he do ???? Targets the lesser organised element of the drug world... something easier to catch and something that won't fight back...
maybe we should change that ????

oracle man! got sum rage pent up inside dere brutha!
welcommen diene blauleicht... kanst du spreche deutsch?
wink.gif

welcome to bluelight... where u from bruv?
------------------
bluelight: we are the viet cong of the war on drugs...