Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Info Required: Sleep Disorders and Lucid Dreaming

ruski

Bluelight Crew
Ahoy,
After much fruitless attempts to obtain scientific and medical perspectives of lucid dreaming and sleeping disorders and countless websites trying to sell products to increase lucid dreaming I'm asking for info here
smile.gif

I'm looking for information specfically about sleeping disorders and lucid dreaming, not neccesairly as a comparison, but any information regarding both....
Any help would be appreciated here.. perhaps I am 2 slack to type 'Sleeping disorders' into my google bar today.. or perhaps I value the opinion of Bler's more.. either way.. any info is great
smile.gif

... are you looking for sleep difficulties related to lengthy periods of awakeness caused by amphetamines, or those related with cold-turkey stoppage and withdrawal from drugs of dependence, or just sleeping disorders and lucid dreaming in general? Maybe a quick look around the Medical Q&A forum might have some info for you? I'll have a search today and see what I can find.
BT
smile.gif

i dont know any sites off hand but i know i self diagnosed myself with 'Sleep Paralysis'. Its a sleeping disorder i have had since i was about 7, where somewhere between the point of going into a deep sleep, my body paralyses itself (everyones bodies paralyse themselves whilst in deep sleep to avoid acting out dreams, hence we might twitch or kick in our sleeps sometimes) and what happens to me is i am actually conscious whilst my body starts to paralyse. So im half awake, NOT dreaming and am unalbe to move my limbs or head or shout out in any way. A common occurrence during SP is a heavy pushing feeling on the chest, hearing sounds and in extreme cases, hallucinations. It sounds totally freaky, and i havent to this day found anyone, (except my Mum) who has had a similar experience. The people i explain this to ask me if im dreaming ( or taking drugs!), but its not a dream and i dont take drugs often at all, well its been happening all my life so...
It used to scare the shit out of me but after reading up on it on the internet, i know its not something supernatural. I was beginning to think i was cursed or something crazy like that.
Hey if anyone else has sleep paralysis, get in touch with me. Look it up on your search engine, its quite interesting. the 'experts' say that Sleep Paralysis may explain the many claims of alien abductions.
Oops, sorry for rambling on, but i was kinda excited about this sleeping disorders post!
Bye

rus...
a long long time ago, on a planet far far away, i used to know a shiteload bout lucid dreaming. this was about 6 years ago, and nearly all the info i found was from the tinternet (mmmm...archie
wink.gif
)...
as i said, this was ages ago, so i'm not sure if any of that info is still around, but there was a reason i was so interested in it, and that was cos i used to almost always have lucid dreams. alas i hardly ever have dreams anymore (sleep dep methinks
frown.gif
) and haven't had a lucid dream for about a year. but if you start talkin to me about it you'll prolly get me to remember a whole lot of shite that i read up on it...
pretty fuckin useless reply by me
wink.gif
but talk to me and i might be able to help
wink.gif

------------------
...got a place for watching that will paint pictures and colour lights...
------------------

hmmmm what can i say, love my lucid dreaming, the journeys, the roller coaster ride, the ladies.. lol
but as far as sleep Paralysis goes well theres a few, myself included who get these. i find it has only come about in recent times as i have gone out alot more and partied more frequently with drugs. now i did a little research on it, and found it was called "night terror". the cause?- extensive use of alcohol and other drugs are a prime cause!!! i can fully relate to the feeling of being unable to move, unable to scream, while i can see around my room, with a huge banging noise in the background. since i found this out i have found the experience not so terrifying. when i do wake up i find myself back asleep instantly. its weird but theres a few of my mates who get them too, and were concerned about it. but im not too sure about the alien thing,....

This information wasn't really in regards to me.. but it just brought back a thought I was having, perhaps. During dreams I find it difficult to see or talk. Perhaps related to the paralysis during delta sleep? I have never been able to shout/talk/see properly in dreams that become really vivid or lucid, perhaps not being able to move corellates to the way you act in a dream as well?

ruski- i think u may be right about the paralysis during your sleep that prevents you moving/talking during lucid dreams...
Oh and the alien abductions thing, i think Delerious got me wrong, i meant that medical experts have explained so-called 'alien abductions' as sleep paralysis. You know, like a claim such as - "i had a experience where i could sense something was in the room, then before i knew it i was in a space ship where a tall dark figure with large eyes and a big head inserted a probe in my butt"....this could be put down to Sleep paralysis, where hallucinations and sensing a presence are symptoms. Oh that my 2c worth!
Oh and also the causes of sleep parlysis is mainly stress and/or a significant change in emotions...i also read this off a website. I know for a fact i get SP when i am troubled or stressed...and DELERIOUS- drugs alter your mood/emotions so that could explain why you have experienced these too. I mean think about what happens when you drop a pill, MAJOR rush of feelings/mood/emotions...
bye!
[This message has been edited by Shianti (edited 11 July 2001).]

okies, just like to clear up a few things before i launch into lucid dreaming.....
humans have two phases of sleep - REM and deep sleep. during REM the body retains muscle control and this is the stage when dreams occur. during deep sleep the body/muscles go into deep relaxation - this is NOT paralysis, it is just total relaxation and that is why there is no movement - this is also why someone who is sleepwalking/talking must be in REM, because it would be impossible for them to have that level of muscular/motor control during deep sleep. instead, someone during deep sleep is more likely to experience night terrors (as someone mentioned above).
research has found that only those animals (including humans) considered "predators/hunters" are able to go into deep sleep, while "prey/hunted" animals are only able to achieve REM --> this is because prey animals need to retain full muscle control at all times in case of the need to flee, ie. they must be on the alert/ready at all times and hence, going into deep sleep/total muscle relaxation could potentially be dangerous.
hehehe... spot the ex-psych student!!!
right, as for lucid dreaming..... i have been quite interested in aromatherapy for some time and while i've been looking into it i came across the herb clary sage (salvia sclarea --> yes, related distantly to salvia divinorum). a lot of books/web sites talk about the semi-hallucinatory properties of clary sage essential oil and even link burning the oil late at night to intense/lucid dreaming. some people report nightmares after diffusing the air before bed while it has also been linked to enhanced visualisation.
while i have not used clary sage myself i have been very interested to experiement with its affects on acid visuals --> could also be very interesting to experiement with other substances (DXM??)..... i'm not expecting some major revelation here but i do know that mood and setting affect me greatly whatever substance i've consumed, and this includes smell (smell is a VERY intense memory trigger for me).
er yeah, hope there's something in there for you ruski.... hehe, might have to search a bit!!
bk
------------------
.... what time is love?? 8:45 ....

Is it deep sleep when awareness during sleep paralysis occurs?
I have SP after big weekends, i always attributed it to the lack of sleep and emotional turmoil. SP is heaps of fun if you know how to handle it. I find that emotions are multiplied, so think happy thoughts
smile.gif
Last time i had it i worried that i wasn't breathing and started freaking out, i think thats how it got the name night terror.
If you get SP read up heaps because it is cool
smile.gif

Acid_Reign- yeah my SP wasnt as bad after i found out what it was... i also experience trouble breathing, but knowing whats happening lessens the fear of it
cool, now i know 2ppl who get SP!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Shianti (edited 16 July 2001).]

I also have experienced SP, but only once, and that was after a big weekend. It lasted only about 40 seconds, but like Acid_Reign I got really scared that I couldnt control my breathing...
There is a great thread on the scene titled "I'M SCARED" which is about SP on the scene, I suggest reading it. It seems that sleep paralysis is not as rare as you might think!
http://www.thescene.com.au/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=3377
[This message has been edited by djwheel (edited 16 July 2001).]

hey ruski boyo
don't know whether this might help but i get all my science in the form of journal abstracts and studies at Pub Med
(http://www4.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/)
pretty much covers all fields of medicines but can sometimes get too *scientific*, even for me.
hope it helps!

I get Sleep Paralysis too and generally get it after big night outs. Would be sleeping then suddenly hear loud noises and have "general feelings of fear and terror".
I THINK there is some link on the lack of serotonin and the occurance of SP.
I read some articles about it last december when i started getting it REALLY badly..
Apparently many cultures misinterpret it as a "spiritual presence" such as the Old Hag back in the 40s i think. In my culture we believe that it is a passing spirit who is "sitting" on your chest and therefore making it difficult for you to breathe.
Loud booming noises and previously mentioned "a general feeling of fear".
Can try and find the articles again, have the links somewhere.
One big question tho', why feelings of evil and fear? I mean... how's that related in anyway? What controls happiness sadness fear anger and all that in out minds? Any brain surgeons out there?

I have had an interest in natural therapies from a very young age and I studied aromatherapy whilst at college doing my diploma in natural therapies, alot of "spiritual counsellors" use Clary sage to tap into patients subconscious during hypnotism, etc. I use clary sage (in very small amounts), in the
massage oils and body creams i make to give people a sense of overall wellbeing...it also creates a euphoric state of mind...couple that with it's acute sedative effects and that would induce lucid dreams.
It is also useful to people that are highly strung, hyperactive or over-excited, as it is a good nerve tonic...therefore, if someone is wigging out, you can place a few drops on a cotton ball, and let them draw a couple of deep breaths of it. Not too much, as excessive amounts cause headaches
BK: If you plan to use it whilst under the infulence of chemicals, be careful that you don't go overboard with it, as the last thing you want is a whopping headache in the middle of a trip!
smile.gif

Regarding sleep paralysis, i used to get it when i'd wake up after using speed...it was pretty scary, even tho i knew what it was.

for an interesting faq on lucid dreaming go here http://www.lucidity.com/LucidDreamingFAQ2.html
it also tells you how to train your mind to dream lucidly...
For some reason, in MOST of my dreams, not all, i realise i am dreaming, cos my dreams are so wacked out i find myself thinking "this can't be real!!!"
Although, some dreams are so very vivid, i wake up in the morning, startled that i'm in bed, and not in witness protection program with HappyCamper! (weird dream..)

Shianti, i'm actually quite surprised that you havent known anyone else with sleep paralysis. I get it quite often as well and i talk about it with some friends and they tell me about their own experiences with SP. i used to be so freaked out when it first happened to me as well when i was about 8yo. it still happens to me but when it does, i just tell myself that "it happens" and just try to go back to sleep. from personal experience, i realised that it usually happens when you sleep in an overheated environment, such as having an overly thick Doona while sleeping or having the heater on the whole night or day. it raises fellings of anxiety in my body without being able to "shake it off" so to speak. but you shouldnt worry as i doubt its related to drug usage. overall, i think its a fascinating experience. and i will look it up on the search engines when i have the time. in the meantime, party on and roll hard!
ps. now shianti, you know 3 ppl who get SP. cheers!
[This message has been edited by tripped (edited 17 July 2001).]

Lucid Dreams....Short and sweet example..
well most of the time we are unaware of the fact that we are dreaming and we have no control over events that occur in our dreams. Occasionally, however, we have lucid dreams!
A lucid dream is a dream in which the dreamer is consciously aware that they are dreaming and feels as if they are awake when having the dream. This awareness occurs without the ending and without actually waking up. Some lucid dreamers report that once they become aware that they are dreaming, they are able to gain some control over the course of the dream.

It's funny how this thread comes up now, last night, and tonight (hence me being up) were the first two times I experienced SP, and I find it extremely terrifying.
Last night was worse, it came on about 2-3 mins after I fell asleep. It started off as if it was a bad dream, I was lying on my side, and felt a pressure against my back, like someone was leaning against me, but they were small. I then got a picture of a child in my mind, with a very worried look on its face. The pressure against my back got slowly more and more intense, and a banging sound started, soft, and as the pressure increased, so did the banging. I opened my eyes, looked around, I couldn't move.. and the pressure was still there. I tried to scream, panicked fiercely, and after a good 30 seconds, it just stopped, and I leapt out of bed.
Happened again tonight, except I was more aware of it. I tried to control it, my breathing, and what was happening. This time i was lying on my back, and it felt as if i was being forced against the bed, and my legs were lifting up. Shapes and shadows were crossing my eyes, and it lasted about 15-20 seconds. I'm still shaken, can't sleep.. it's really worrying me. Everyone I've spoken to has said it's not harmful, even though it may seem it, so I just keep re-assuring myself. It's the most frightening thing i've ever experienced. If anyone can give me tips on controlling it, i'd be very grateful. thanks.
- a sleepy cyna