Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Setting.

Fine wine

Bluelighter
I was just wondering about setting and I'm interested in what other people think. Personally, when on an mdma pill, I find that nightclubs become way too crowded for me. For example this week (and previous times) at Sublime I've found that while rolling I've wanted a lot more space to dance. I ended up leaving voodoo and going up to the drum and base room simply because there was a lot more room up there. I'm not into drum and base and most of the time I just sat up the back of the silver room. I did get to talk to Mark Dynamix up in cargo before his set and that was basically the highlight of my night. I was on one of the new lighter coloured green question marks. Now as you all know I'd usually start whinging about shitty pills at this stage but it must've been the setting because the green question marks are mdma, no real doubt about that according to popular opinion. Also I really don't think it's my mind set because I'm on holidays at the moment. I've found that in the past my best rolls have been sitting outside a club/rave and talking to people (too cold to do in winter), in a quiet public place with a good view or at someone's house. I've hardly ever felt good while peaking on the dance floor even though that's the whole reason I was introduced to drugs in the first place! I've found I've enjoyed raves better than clubs simply becuase of the increased room to dance and better areas to chill out and talk to people. That's possibly why I gave the new hqs a bad review. Also as a further example, one week I had a white bomb very early in the morning just as we were about to leave a nightclub so we ended up peaking in a park away from the club. I had one of the best rolls I have ever had! We sat there and listened to some really ambient Chicane stuff and it was great! The next week I had the same pill at the same club but had it much earlier in the night and peaked inside the club. I felt really shitty! Maybe I'm too much of an introvert for having mdma in nightclubs! So after this long introductory piece of writting I just wanted to know what other people's favourite settings are for rolling.
The reason why I'm asking this is because I felt no euphoria, loved up feeling or empathy while rolling on a tightly packed dance floor, just an intense need to find a place to chill out. I didn't think that set and setting would have that much of an effect. I'm starting to see now how it really does make a huge difference.
[This message has been edited by Fine wine (edited 08 July 2001).]

hey i 2 find that whilst popping in clubs i dont enjoy it, there is never enuff room to dance for me! And there always full to the max. i enjoy raves alot more as there is alot more room to move or just to chill!
I also think that grabbing a group of friends and chilling somewhere with some good music is really good! The experience is so more loved up and u have time to listen to your friends and simply relax in bliss. My best roll (besides my first ever) was just chilling with friends and talking!
Ill never forget the conversation me and my mum had once when i was peaking, i felt as we both understood each other so well and the next day she goes to me, u were actually talking to me last night not like usall...lol!!

Set and Setting combined are paramount in playing a part in the total drug effect one feels. There are certain drugs which lose various aspects of their subtle effects when taken in adverse settings, and with bad body and mindset. MDMA happens to be one of these, LSD is another, but all drugs have certain effects that are greatly influenced by set and setting.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

I can at times find clubs a little too busy to really enjoy an MDMA experience, but then at other times I've been blown away in a club setting.
My fave setting is the old bush doof. Combines the best of chilling with mates and the club atmosphere. Dancing no problems as there is heaps of room, chilling not a problem just break out a bean bag and the cold night air is perfect for a good rush.
smile.gif

While set and setting play off each other, I think set is the more important. If you head out with the intention of enjoying yourself and such then usually its a good night regardless of setting..
------------------
:: www.guerrillanews.com/cocakarma/ -- a must read ::

Thanks to "the_man" and pundi for sharing the same thoughts with me. My other friends don't seem to be affected much by the crowded club atmosphere. I'll see how the same pill goes at Mystic this weekend.
I've never been to an outside rave before either. So it would be great to drop at one of those.
I did do a search BigTrancer
smile.gif
but I searched for "set and setting" together which produced no results. I guess this should've been added to the end of the post which you found. That also had some cool information for me. Thanks.
[This message has been edited by Fine wine (edited 09 July 2001).]

One of the biggest traps you can fall into with MDMA is to think you'll know what's going to happen. A lot of people spend more time trying to maximise their roll that they forget to just stop and enjoy it.
Remember that it's a drug that will affect you differently every time, and this will be influenced by more factors than you can possibly consciously conceive before hand. I remember an analogy I read somewhere a while ago:
Taking LSD or MDMA is like buying a ticket to a roller coaster. Once you get on, it's pretty much out of your hands. There'll be ups and downs along the way, and there's nothing you can do about that. What you can do is make the most of the experience while it lasts, and enjoy the ride no matter which way it takes you. Remember that for every dip, there's a climb back up to the top to follow quickly after. Don't get lost in the downward slide...
smile.gif

The best times I've had while under the influence of mdma have been at house parties... I've had some awesome club and rave experiences, but the best have been in the more comfortable and intimate enviroment of a home...
I've hardly ever had a dud roll tho, tho that's prolly 'cos I never expect too much from a pill, but I know it will always work (specially these days with the awesome quality of pills around in melb)

I love to boogie at clubs.. The chicks dig my electric boogaloo.....
But I honestly prefer the house thing. That's what I have done the past few times. I have had about 5 - 10 of my close friends, popped pills, had the music going, and talked, danced and (fucked...) all night long. It honestly brings you closer to your pals than ever. YES, the club thing is ALWAYS fun, meeting people, dancing, talking to complete strangers about cod shit...
But I like the house experience. And when everyone say's "let's go for a wander", it's like exploring a whole new world!!!!
smile.gif

I LUV YOU ALL!

Gotta love "the wander"
smile.gif

Yeah, I must say, I love a good home roll - although nothing beats 6 or 7 people getting messy in a hotel suite all night. especially when you have friends with music equipment (and the hotel has a basement so the staff dont see it being carried up (honestly, its been done)

i second that as well - house parties rawkz!
its more intimate and with friends that know each other.
I need space space space which is y i dun really go to big big commercial raves.
setting is really important to me. And of course musiC!
smile.gif

------------------
To live is to change, and to be perfect is to have changed often.
- John Henry Newman

outdoors, on a warm beach, peaking watching the day turn to night as the molten sun sinks into the ocean, the night filled with promise and stars rising, distant rumblings of the bass from behind the palm trees getting louder...
...set and setting, Goa anyone?

yeah..
i agree..
setting can make or break a nite.
went to see steve lawler here in canberra a few weeks back, i had to go strait, cause the music and how packed the club was would not have let me enjoy the nite.
i'm strange.. house music brings me down, but i love it when sober...???
keeping with the setting thing..
was at utopia at wonderland last year, and i was unlucky enough to get stuck with K pills. although i was following my head all round the place, i had a great nite cause it was at wonderland...
anyhoo, i'm off.
------------------
Well, thats my 2.2c worth (inc. GST). I'll be in the corner if anyone needs me....

Pundi I'm with you, nothing beats dropping in the middle of no where and dancing up a dust bowl. Can't wait for the warmer months.
------------------
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light?"
"Well I have actually and it turns out that the devil is a real top bloke."

Yeah I agree muzby. Lawler was way too packed. I should've gone straight as well. I kept thinking it was the pill I was on rather than the actual setting. Habana, like Sublime, for me is one of those clubs where when I roll there I don't get much of a good feeling. Adding further to the topic of setting, I decided to drop one of those question marks at home last night and it was the cleanest roll I've ever had! It was so totally different to the Sublime experience. I really do see now how much of a huge difference setting makes.

oohh, I just LLUURRVVVEE 'the wander'. Exploring anew world is right. Even if its the same street you have lived for the past year(s)
smile.gif
... A few times we have driven to lorne from geelong. Begining to roll and continue the roll while sitting in a car along the Great Ocean Road is simply awesome. I reccomend sitting in a car with 3-4 other people rolling along a great scenic road.. Simply AWESOME...

I know this is off topic, but someone's gotta say it, at least once.
Driving while on any kind of drugs isn't advisable, under any circumstances, from a risk minimisation point of view. It's a high risk activity that can have huge consequences for yourself and for others.
Now, back to the topic...
BT
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

Hmmmm... and I just thought I preferred bush doofs, talk about hitting the nail on the head.
Actually my preferred place is locked in a dark cupboard, preferably musty smelling and damp with a couple of old brooms and a mop. The cupboard has to be just narrow enough to not be able to sit down and just short enough to not be able to stand up straight. There has to be an eerie noise coming from outside and light just seeping through the gaps in the door... yeah set and setting is what its all about.

Well I'd have to agree with most people here and say that House Parties are the go!~!!!!!
Other places I like taking pills are bush doofs, parks, big ass parties and sometimes clubs.
However I think what people haven't mentioned is the fact that most of the time it actually depends who you're with and your state of mind before you drop that pill!!! Most of the time it's the people that make the night not neccesarily the pill or the music or even the venue, although these factors should be taken into account as well.