• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Chemists Concerned Over New Super Depression Drug - ABC News Online

With relation to seratonin and dopamine production I think sam-e just helps to make substances that are important for neurotransmitters to work.
i did a search last night (google.com) after seeing a report on channel 7 news, there was a fair few sites of which all said very little and basically the same thing.
here is one link: http://www.berkeleywellness.com/supplements/dsSupSAMe.html

22/03/2001
AUSTRALIA: A LEGAL HIGH FOR JUST $2.
By Lou Caruana.
ECSTASY can be yours for $2 a pop. And there won't even be any nasty side-effects.
Next month, you will be able to go to your local chemist and ask for SAM-e, a natural product said to produce a high for 12 hours.
And unlike the amphetamines sold on the street, SAM-e comes from an advanced Sydney manufacturing plant.
Pan Pharmaceuticals has been given permission by the Therapeutics Goods administration to make the drug for the local market, after it was overwhelmingly embraced in the US and Europe. Sales in the US exceeded $US180million ($360million) last year.
Sam-e boosts the production of neurotransmitters called serotonin and dopamine,which elevate a person's mood. Its active ingredient is an amino acid - the building block of proteins - found in high protein foods such as fish and meat.
The drug works by combining amino acids with a chemical in the body called ATP. It can also reputedly flush out toxic substances and helps the body repair cell membranes.
Pan chief executive Jim Selim said no prescriptions were needed. Sam-e was safe
and almost impossible to overdose on, he said.
However, depression expert Associate Professor Michael Sawyer of Adelaide University sounded a note of caution.
"The use of recreational mood altering drugs is worrying. Medication has a role to play in treating depression but only in conjunction with counselling and psychotherapy."
(c) Nationwide News Proprietary Ltd, 2001. AUSTRALIAN (THE) 22/03/2001 P3
hmm, sounds interesting.

read that you need 800-1600mgs per day, but it sounds as though it could be a big winner, possibly even used in conjunction with 5-htp??

haha I can't wait man I'm poor!
well if it solves all of lifes problems ill be real happy
"Work hard son, nothin on this earth is free!"
But just in case it is... bah ill give it a go
------------------
Niques Wisdom
- Don't ever try your best, it's the first step to failure.
-It is far better to be pissed off than pissed on.
-If someones life is in danger, do not help them, this will almost always bring you to the same fate.

ATP = adenosine tri-phosphate
ATP is the fuel which drives cells. It is what gives everyone energy. People think glucose is repsonsible for cellular energy, but in actual fact during glucose metabolism, ATP is procuced which fuels the cells.
ATP is also used in DNA synthesis. A is one of the 4 DNA letters, along with G, C and T. Hence ATP provides the adenine nucleotide.
However i didnt read enough of the Sam-e info to suggest how it is relevent here. I guess ATP is what is used to make adenosyl methionine from methionine. But in Sam-e it is already done for u?
(i was intrigued that they said this stuff was fantastic at adding ONE METHYL group to many molecules in the body. Hmm, i wonder if somewhere down the track this stuff could be used in synthesis to easily add methyl groups to certain exciting molecules like MDA and amphetamine. Prob needs enzymes to work though)

(Wouldn't that shit ya? "You are attempting to post to a thread that is now closed". Anyway here's a repost of what I tried to put in Legal Ecstasy to answer the questions there. I realise now that I've included a link to this thread within itself.)
OK so I got curious and looked some stuff up on this compound:
From the Other Drugs forum:
Phreex posted:
It's nothing but a bunch of herbal crap.. no recreational potential at all - it's overpriced, this new age grass eating hippie bullshit!
Info on SAM-e
From the Australia/Asia/NZ/Middle East Drug Discussion forum:
(Lou Caruana via Loco)
Sam-e boosts the production of neurotransmitters called serotonin and dopamine,which elevate a person's mood. Its active ingredient is an amino acid - the building block of proteins - found in high protein foods such as fish and meat.
Chemists Concerned Over New Super Depression Drug - ABC News Online
So... from what I can work out, SAMe is an acronym for a compound called S-Adenosylmethionine. This naturally occurring compound is potentially useful as an anti-depressant (acting as a methyl-donor rather than SSRI, or tricyclic) and has an efficacy superior to placebo, and comparable to that of tricyclic anti-depressants (Bressa 1994) with shorter lag time and fewer undesirable side-effects (Fava et al 1995). What's unclear to me from a quick search is whether this chemical is contraindicated with SSRI's or if it's action as a methyl-donor has nothing to do with seratonin. According to some sources it boosts seratonin levels, and according to the sources which say methyl-donor, seratonin isn't mentioned. Maybe someone else can help me out with my understanding on this?
GM Bressa, "S-adenosyl-l-methionine (SAMe) as antidepressant: meta-analysis of clinical studies.", Acta Neurol Scand Suppl 154, 7-14, (1994).
M Fava, A Giannelli, V Rapisarda, A Patralia, GP Guaraldi, "Rapidity of onset of the antidepressant effect of parenteral S-adenosyl-L-methionine.", Psychiatry Res 56(3), 295-7, (1995).
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

From Bt's link.
This guy had been taking sam-e and had e aswell.
"note : sam-e and e equals REALLY INTENSE FUCKING ROLL PERIOD ."
"this was the most intense feeling of my life EVER . ive prolly rolled
about 100-150 times"
I'm a little interested
biggrin.gif

anyone got a link to the full clinical trial? i question the quality of the clinical trial on use for antidepression. the results supplied were unconvincing and good results are very easy to get on the hamilton scale. im curious to see the details
[This message has been edited by SirLSD (edited 28 March 2001).]

Here are the abstracts of one of the papers I referenced, and another couple:
(O) Bressa, G. M., "S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine (SAMe) as Antidepressant: Meta-Analysis of Clinical Studies," Acta Neurologica Scandinavica-Supplement 154, 7-14, (1994).
(O) Kagan, B. L., et al., "Oral S-adenosylmethionine in Depression: a Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Trial," American Journal of Psychiatry 147, 591-5, (1990).
(O) Rosenbaum, J. F. et al., "The Antidepressant Potential of Oral S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine," Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 81, 432-436, (1990).
Hope that's a help for you, or at least is enough to provide a starting point for your literature search.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.
[This message has been edited by BigTrancer (edited 28 March 2001).]

hmmm
I know where to order it (there are a shitload of places actually)
I think i might just go ahead and order it and see how it goes.
hmmm actually first things first.. anyone got any leads of how customs might react to this stuff?
speaking of which is anyone else having probs importing 5-HTP at the moment? My 'regular source' (insert spy-type music here) reports they can no longer send it to Aust because of problems with customs.
grrrrrr!
But i have noticed an Australian vitamins site that now sells 5-HTP.
This stuff has 75mg 5-HTP, vit C, vit B, magnesium, + about 2 others which i can't recall at the moment.
costs more tho and you get less tablets.
hmmmmmm
rock on
HC
Love ya sig BT
smile.gif

No need to look overseas to get it. I just found some in my local Health Food shop.. and I live in a country town!
I'll post a report after I've tried it out, and let y'all know how it goes.

Mona, make you sure you get back to us on this one. It sounds too good to be true.... Kinda like that liquid XTC that just had a shitload of Gurana in it.....
I'm very skeptical bout this one guys. DFo you think it will EVER replace the pillz... I think not. I WANT TO BE SCATTY!
But it's a good idea for people in general to perk things up a bit.
A new addiction maybe..... MUST BE HAPPY..NEED A HIT.....