Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

URGENT INFO NEEDED!!! 'Serotonin Agonists'

Abby

Bluelighter
I've just been prescribed this medication for severe migraines (which i've had recently) but i was told it belongs to a group of drugs called 'seratoin agonists' WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? the actual medication is called "Imigran" and the active ingredient is "Sumatriptan Succinate". Apparently it works by constricting the blood vessels in your head/brain which is what makes the migraine go away. There's a long list of do's and dont's and who shouldn't take the medication, one is "Do not take imigran if you have taken any MAOIs (medications used for depression) within the past 2 weeks" . . . i haven't but i have taken ecstasy within the last 2 weeks, which i thought acts in the same way, so IS IT SAFE FOR ME TO TAKE THIS MEDICATION OR NOT? i should have told/asked the doctor i know, but for complicated reasons i couldn't, anyway i have exams and am in pain, but don't know if I should take this tablet . . . Please help!!

I too am curious about this, having read that psilocybin (magic mushies) is a serotonin agonist. I *think* it's to do with 5-htp or something like that, or has similar effects to (for example) MDMA with releasing serotonin. This is probably why you can't take MAOIs with your medication - the same reason you can't take them with MDMA. So MDMA + your medication will probably be ok.
Take this with a grain of salt though, it's just my little on the spot hypothesis, but I'm curious to know if I'm right or not.

short answer: Ecstasy (MDMA) is NOT a MAOI. also i think, and could be wrong, but isn't MDMA a "serotonin agonist"?
long answer: this doesnt mean it is necessarily safe to take your migrane drug and MDMA. further research should be done. i'm sure someone here will be able to help you out with more information.
please, if at all possible, be honest with your doctor. he will know a lot more about this than us.

If you can't be honest with your doctor call Medline or something like that. If they can't help you on the spot they should be able to find out and get back to you pretty quickly. It's a free service too
smile.gif

Okey dokey, here are the terms for 'agonist' and 'antagonist' straight from my biolpsych text. If anyone is doing pharmacol they can probably do a better job...
Agonist - In pharmacology, a substance that stimulates or mimics a receptor-mediated biological response by occupying cell receptors. Contrast to antagonist.
As an example this means 'Agonist' refers to such substances as:
1.LSD (LSD mimics the neurotransmitter serotonin, and acts directly on serotonergic receptor sites. Psilocybin acts in a similar way.)
2. Amphetamines (Stimulates the dopamine neurones to release more dopamine)
3. MDMA (Similar in action to amphetamines, but works on serotonin as you all know)
Antagonist - In pharmacology, a substance that opposes, blocks, or neutralizes a receptor-mediated biologic response. For example, the morphine antagonist naloxone competes with morphine for receptor sites in the brain and other tissues. By occupying these sites, naloxone prevents the narcotic from binding to the receptors and exerting its effect. Contrast with agonist.
Yeah, what the book said... Antagonists are primarily inhibitory on brain activity, so they don't usually have a whole lot of potential for recreational use. Oh, wait... Yes, GHB would be a dopamine antagonist I think. I believe antipsychotic drugs like thorazine also fall into this category.
As far as taking this drug, I reckon it would be cool. Taking it with MDMA, well, I dont' know... I suspect however, that it would not interact being a serotonin agonist. But don't take my word for it, I am not even remotely qualified, and I couldnt find it under RxList.
------------------
The woods are dark and deep, and you have miles to go before you sleep...

it's on rxlist, I read a bit about it. From reading that, and reading the previous post, you should be right taking them, however I wouldn't take them for a couple of days before taking MDMA, since the migraine stuff will compete for seretonin receptor sites, which at best would slightly reduce your peak, and at worst give you seretonin syndrome (since the seretonin can't hit the receptor sites, but tons are being released). I'd say that they aren't long acting though, unlike SSRIs, since they are only for temporary relief from migraines.
Don't quote me on this but I beleive they could be excellent for post loading afterwards though, since they would compete with the dopamine for the seretonin receptors, and as long as they don't kill seretonin receptors (my guess is they won't, they wouldn't be designed to do so) they would be excellent to prevent neurotoxicity.
or I could have it completely wrong, best to get in contact with a GP (even if it's not your own) even just ringing them, or something

ok ,my unprofessional opinion is....
imigran is a selective vascular 5ht1 receptor agonist. you shouldnt use lsd within 24 hours of using imigran. as for mdma, avoid using both drugs on the same day if posibble. but would u want to take pills the same day youve had a migrain anyway?? taking both together may cause an addative increase in blood pressure, especially in the brain. i would definately not recommend it if you are allready at risk any heart problems....including history of heart attack, peripheral vascular disease, prizmentals angina, uncontrolled hypertension, cardiovascular accident or transient ischaemic attacks.
but im assuming your a healthy young adult. ideally with no family history of heart attack or stroke.
it will be ineffective as a post load as it only binds to 5ht1 receptors.
my professional opinion.... drugs r bad mm'kay
[This message has been edited by SirLSD (edited 14 June 2001).]

SirLSD brings up an excellent point --> I can't imagine wanting to take pills on the same day as having a migraine. (I'm assuming the migraine medication is something you take at the onset and during a migraine to treat the symptoms, rather than something you take all the time to prevent any chance of experiencing a migraine).

Thanks guys!!!!
yep, the tablets are to be taken once you actually have the migraine, not even if you feel it coming on, it only works if you already have it.
anyway reason i was concerned was because it was stressed to me that this is a serious medication a)she had to ring up canberra for authorisation to write the prescription b)you only get 2 tablets in a box c)it doesn't mask the pain but stops the thing thats causing it.
so i was worried that it might not be safe to take in my situation, anyway next time i'll be sure not to go to the family doctor so i can tell them everything
wink.gif

------------------
The greatest love is when your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
-Dalai Lama-

Guys,
this is my limited knowledge in pharmacology, as i have little background in it, if imigran which our friend here is prescribed is a trade name for sumatriptan, this medication is a specific activator of the receptors of 5 hydroxytriptamine1. Most of these receptors are located in the blood vessels of the brain. Stimulation of these receptors by sumatriptan causes a constriction of these blood vessels which is thought to be major cause of migrane in humans. Normally anything which works on similar principals should not be used in 24hours of other being used, so two weeks is quite a considerable time. This information can be accessed if anyone here is studying medicine or pharmacy in The Australian Guide to Prescription Drugs, pg 220. Imitrex is a selective 5-hydroxytryptamine1 receptor subtype agonist. Sumatriptan succinate is chemically designated as 3-[2-(dimethylamino)ethyl]-N-methyl-indole¾5-methanesulfonamide succinate (1:1).

johnboy is right in saying that mdma is a serotonin agonist as well. And any serotonin agonist should not be mixed with each other in 24 hours duration if possible.

anyway next time i'll be sure not to go to the family doctor so i can tell them everything
Abby, your family doctor is the best person with which to speak about any drug usage or whatnot. They know your history and medical specifics better than anyone. They cannot and will not tell anybody about this info. Not your family, not the police, nobody. Its doctor-patient confidentiality, and you should tell them everything, they are there to help you and have heard it all before. A drugs chat to your usual doctor may feel a little intimidating at first, but is a very good move. Can't stress that enough...
------------------
The woods are dark and deep, and you have miles to go before you sleep...

hmmm . . . i know that doctors are supposed to follow the patient confidentiality rule, but mine is quite close to my mother and i can't help but have these images in my head that one day they'll be having a consultation and she'll feel so sorry for mum that she'll have to spill the beans her little girl is taking drugs . . . or maybe i'm just paranoid!
wink.gif
i'd rather not take the risk though, so i'll definately be going somewhere else when it comes to these sorts of things.
------------------
The greatest love is when your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
-Dalai Lama-

bmradio.....we might be in very similar feilds, so what exactly do u do/study?
email me if u dont wont to post it here

Doctors don't have to actually break the laws to get around confidentiality. I left my doctor of 16years a while back because of that (he delivered me!! And was my doctor till I 16)
But ummmm... you could still call Medline if you want more confirmation of whats here.
Some 5-htp bottles come with a warning of "not to be taken by patients on serontonin agonists". I suggest if you do have a pill and you've had a migraine recent and used your medication... you may have to go without the 5-HTP. Which for me, is enough to not have a pill!
smile.gif

Are you going to be likely to get a migraine whilst pilling? Seems like you won't be able to take your medication if this happens...
frown.gif

i've never had a migraine while pilling and i am in no state to even consider dropping while i have a migraine! however i have gotten migraines the day after dropping, so i wonder if it's safe to take it then (if it was absolutely necessary). Anyway planning on calling medline soon so i'll see what they have to say.
------------------
-Dalai Lama-