Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Article: Company defends drug detection kit

Jaff

Bluelighter
Company defends drug detection kit
The-Age
Monday 28 May 2001
The company behind a mail-order kit that allows parents to test their children for illegal drugs today defended the initiative amid concerns it was an invasion of privacy.
Drugscreen, the company behind the $59.95 Detect Now kit, said the kit - a spray can similar to those used by forensic scientists - would allow parents to determine if their children had been in contact with illegal drugs.
Drugscreen managing director Lisa Korn said the kit could detect drug residue, but dismissed claims its success was unproven and it was an invasion of privacy.
"As a parent, to my view nothing is more important that protecting your child from dangers such as drugs," she told ABC Radio.
"Parents need to know if their child is taking or being exposed to drugs so they can take responsibility for their health, safety and future.
"At the end of the day if a parent can prevent a child from developing a drug addiction by using a product such as Detect Now then in my view the benefit of the product far outweighs the negatives."
Ms Korn said Detect Now had a 99 per cent success rate and was used with success in court cases in the United States.
Detect Now is sprayed onto a swab used to wipe a surface, such as a table, where drugs may have been prepared. The swab changes colour if there is drug residue.
Ms Korn denied the kit contradicted the federal government's drugs policy, which encourages communication between parents and children.
Instead the kit would act as a "springboard" for future discussion, she said.
"Any concerned parent who has concerns their child is being exposed to drugs or drug use will want to know whether their child is or is not so they can take steps to help them," she said.
"If you don't know there is a problem, how can you help them?"
The kits, which are to be made available to parents and employers, can be ordered through the mail or online.
smile.gif
Cheers

I listened to her speak this morning. I really couldn't believe that she and her company were motivated by anything other than profit-making. Is their goal "harm minimisation??". I think parents finding out about drug use via investigation is likely to cause more harm than good. Its all about communication. I guess if the parents have already confronted (asked) their child about it, and were lied to, then the spray could be used as proof, but for parents to just go out and buy one of these things to sneak around checking up on kids seems wrong to me.
And what are the chances of these things reacting to other substances? That could be pretty messy. "You have been using extacy, haven't you!!!!" Uh, mum, I think the spray might have picked up traces of my, uh, wiz fizz.
I often think about how I will deal with the possibility of my kids using drugs. I have NO IDEA how its going to work. Having kids sounds scarey.

Just read about that in tha West this mornin.
If this kit works as well as they say it does I think every parent will get one.
"I just wanted to be sure"
Nothing can be kept secret anymore.
Problem being as soon as their child tests postive imediately they assume their child is 'on drugs' and 'has a problem' so then they must 'step in' and fix the problem. When parents do this they more than often make the situation worse as the child will feel there privacy is being invaded and then you have a pissed off child with parents who think that they are a drug addict when more than likely they've simply gone out on the weekend and just had an inocent bong at a party.
Does the test show differences between which drug is consumed?
Does the test show positive if your in the same room as a bong smoker but didnt hit it yourself?
Will it show up darker if your a long term speed shooter compared to someone who may have brushed up against a speed user at a party but not actually be a user themselves?
I think this test will have a lot more bad effects than good.
[This message has been edited by Fry-d- (edited 28 May 2001).]
[This message has been edited by Fry-d- (edited 28 May 2001).]

dont confuse the following with anything todo with a certain corporate exploitation of ppls 15mins of fame......
This "test your kids,not your reasoning" every 'CONCERNED' parent should have one !!! test kit is just another small invasive tool of Big-Brother. Testing at work, at sports & games, at school, and now at home. How far away is random COMPULSORY drug-testing on the public in the street.
Drugs aren't making me paranoid...... its the paranoia of todays society and powerbrokers that is doing it. ;P
This kit could cause the breakdown of hard-earned respect and trust in many families, just to make a dollar! DISGUSTING!

yeah in a word FUCKTHAT! it's a sad state of affairs where a company is working on the inherent paranoia of parents to the point where they'd make a test like that... talk about invasion of civil liberties... goddamnit what happened to trust and communication?
------------------
Does anyone really notice the stupid quotes people place here?
"mirror, mirror on the wall, who do we fear most of all... what doesn't kill me, makes me stronger" - Maxim

Wait wait wait one second there.
Detect Now is sprayed onto a swab used to wipe a surface, such as a table, where drugs may have been prepared. The swab changes colour if there is drug residue.
Therefore the only way kiddies are going to get busted is if they're dumb enough to be regularly cutting coke on their bedside table etc, or if they're stupid enough to leave weed baggies in the pockets of their clothing for Mum to wash. It's not a urine test where someone's parents can know what goodies they've been chewing on the weekend.
Plus, from other sources it becomes apparent that parents will need to purchase a different kind of test kit for each different substance, so not only will they have to guess where their little darling is cutting up their stash, but also what it is beforehand. For example:
"DETECT NOW" can detect trace amounts of marijuana or cocaine residue on any surface the drug has come in contact with. http://www.mistralgroup.com/dd/detect.htm
Hell, surf to the above link and buy one for your Mum. It will no doubt put her mind at ease to discover no traces of hash or crack on the kitchen bench. Personally I'd be far more worried about the equally-as-easy-to-order-online tests where small samples of hair, saliva or urine can be used to provide far more conclusive evidence.
And finally:
"At the end of the day if a parent can prevent a child from developing a drug addiction by using a product such as Detect Now then in my view the benefit of the product far outweighs the negatives."
I hardly think that testing random flat surfaces in a child's room will prevent them from becoming addicted to smack.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

I can see entire bedrooms and even houses being coated in this stuff.

http://www.drugscreen.org/faq.cfm
this is such a run around:
Doesn't a drug screen send the message that a parent doesn't trust their child?
In many instances it isn't a question of trust, it is a question of accountability. We don't take it upon ourselves to advise to parents that they should do a drug screen, that is a decision that only the parent can make. But if a parent does wish to utilize a drug screen, we remove all barriers between them and this technology.
But doesn't this invade the rights of children?
Children do not have the right to do drugs. Drugs are illegal, dangerous, and addictive. The ACLU themselves has stated drug screening is not an infringement of rights.
But why do parents need drug screens?
We are not saying that they do. But if a parent wants this technology, we will provide it to them at cost.
(taken from the drugscreen site)
it seems to me that its like the just say no campaign with an addition of invasion of privacy.
------------------
"ill never try an E" quote from me june1999(and i didn't untill about 40 pills later)
[This message has been edited by madmick19 (edited 28 May 2001).]

This whole 'drug residue' thing is misleading. For example, aproximately 90% of US paper money bills contain traces of cocaine... This testing is a complete scare mongering joke.

IMHO it's a bullshit advertising campaign for a bullshit product designed to capitalise on the fears of parents. If they're that worried about their kids doing drugs, for christs sake search their rooms and find their stash and be done with it.
Then what?
A massive emotional confrontation? The accused "child" leaves home/gets chucked out? Lack of trust tearing apart the family if they do continue living at home?
All these ends could be met by simply accusing them of doing drugs without even wasting their money on useless swab tests.
On the other hand, if it's an employer who's buying these crap tests, why don't they just demand their employees submit to random urine tests. I think they can do this legally. It would be far more conclusive and reliable a test method.
And one last thing... these testers are too expensive and a complete waste of money. If they do put out a cheaper, more reliable version that can detect a larger range of chemicals, then maybe the product could be a useful harm reduction tool. But until then, just say no.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------

(sorry BT put a post in the way
smile.gif
)
^
|
|
isn't it about the same proportion that has traces of faeces. Probably stop people extracting the cocaine from them
smile.gif

I dare say that like the current e-testers we use, the above spray can be fooled. Lets just hope Big Kevs Goo remover tricks it, and that way all the kiddies can win kudos for cleaning up their rooms
smile.gif

------------------
insanity is the in thing this season..
[This message has been edited by pundi (edited 28 May 2001).]

how much are these cans???
this could open up a whole new world of grafitti....
------------------
...got a place for watching that will paint pictures and colour lights...
------------------

here's a followup story from www.theage.com.au , check out the bit i've highlighted...
Employers may adopt drug kits
By CHLOE SALTAU
and BRETT FOLEY
Tuesday 29 May 2001
Forensic drug testing kits sold to parents who suspect their children of using illicit substances could be taken up by employers who want a drug-free workplace, the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry said yesterday.
But the kits aerosol sprays designed to detect the residue of cannabis, cocaine, heroin and ecstasy would first have to be rigorously and scientifically tested for their accuracy, reliability and intrusiveness, the chamber's manager of labor relations, Reg Hamilton, warned.
The kit was released on to the Australian market amid concern that secretive testing of surfaces such as tables, desks and foils that may have been used to prepare drugs, would be counter-productive as a prevention strategy and an invasion of privacy. Civil libertarians suggested the mail-order detection kit, available in the US for the past year, was a gimmick playing on parents' anxieties.
Federal Health Minister Michael Wooldridge said parents should talk to their children honestly about drugs, a message promoted in the government's recent TV advertising campaign, rather than testing them secretly.
"I think that testing kids secretly without their knowledge shows there is no trust. I understand these things are difficult and I understand why some parents are worried, but I think you are much better to have an open and honest relationship and discussion with your kids," Dr Wooldridge said.
Although Mr Hamilton, from the ACCI, stressed the importance of proper employer procedures, he said a recent Federal Court ruling that drug addiction constituted a disability under the Disability Discrimination Act had thrown a legal cloud over the way employers dealt with issues of workplace drug use, which needed to be resolved urgently.
"Employers already do ask for voluntary drug tests and in some industries, like airlines, they are compulsory. It's not clear yet where these kits would fit in. They could conceivably be used in industries where there is heavy, dangerous machinery which could threaten the safety of the employee and of others," Mr Hamilton said.
Lisa Korn, general manager of the Drugscreen company that imports the kits, said she had been contacted by big companies interested in testing their employees. She also believed the kits could help parents intervene before their children's recreational habit became full-blown addiction.
Margaret Hamilton, director of the Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre, said it was important for parents to set boundaries, but by using the kits they risked turning themselves into police.
Leigh Hubbard, secretary of the Victorian Trades Hall Council, was sceptical about the kit and said industries with heavy machinery already had regulations.
He was also worried that the detection method, swiping surfaces to cause color reactions to drug residue, could identify the wrong person.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/2001/05/29/FFXLMCG49NC.html
you can't discrimnate against me just coz im on drugs!!
------------------
"i think i'll stick to drugs to get me thru the long, dark night of late-capitalism..."
Irvine Welsh

So if my boss ever finds out I take drugs rather than go clean and risk losing my job I can just take more claim I have a drug problem then If I get fired I can sue his ass for discrimination.
heh
smile.gif

I can just see the bullshit lawsuits now.

Does that mean in a disability conscious workplace that is accessible to people of all capabilities that not only must the employer install wheelchair ramps and handrails in bathrooms to comply with the disability act, but also darkened "chill" rooms with fluffy couches, mirror-balls and UV glowy shit?
BigTrancer
wink.gif

------------------

On ACA (I think) the other day they tested out these kits. They got a positive reading from plain paper! And apparently a lot of other things will produce a false positive result too!
Also they tested heroin, cocaine, marijuana, which all reacted correctly, but when they tested meth(something!) it did not react!
So you get false positives AND false negatives... mmm, great product!
------------------
"Go peddle your kippers elsewhere clown" - Ren Hoek

Trust not suspicion is what every parent should foster family relationships from. We live in a time unprecedented for kids to have empathy and understanding towards their parents.
Parents, just say "know" to the kits as in I do already and have no need for them.
Taking interest in what your kids are doing, will usually bring about enthusiasm to share experiences, thoughts etc. And what better group for this than ravers.
As for drugs in the workplace, reform in policy has been going on now for some time. There are those, who's job is just this. Some of Australia's biggest company's have recently adjusted their policy to reflect both changing times and the importance of keeping good workers. This is not to say you can be out of it at work, and many positions will always involve being absolutely clean, but it certainly indicates a change in thought over what constitutes acceptable behaviour.
phase_dancer