• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Documentary on ecstasy and parkinson's disease tonight

Ill be watching.damn its up against big brother uncut...
frown.gif

That was one of the greatest docos i have ever seen, gave my parents more informed netural view of a drug they know little about, a nice story on a great person and hope for those suffering from Parkinsons. Geez wonderful thing, a drug that I love, that has helped give greater insight into a nasty disease. Imagine being in such a state in your late 20's....
frown.gif
man not good but thanks to researchers and ahh cough cough MDMA, they are coming closer to an answer. I hope lots of you saw it, just a warm fuzzy light feeling (JOKES) came over me when i saw it...maybe scientists will bring out a MDMA pill that will let u have a sick night, without e-tardness and a reduced risk of any damage to ur brain.
A BIG PHAT TWO THUMBS UP BROTHA :p
Keep safe people

I'm at work so I didn't get to see it, but should have it taped so will watch it when I get the chance...
The more research done on mdma the better...
Moving this to drug discussion...

yeh great doco, was amazing the difference in him once he had that white mitzu
smile.gif
but seriously, they should look into making a drug for parkinsons sufferers based on MDMA that can be used on an every day basis, cos it would be so frustrating living your life like that.
------------------
Bars.

Yes indeed very interesting (as was BB Uncut). One thing I had to laugh at - the placebo effect testing. One tablet was sugar, one was MDMA - sure they *look* the same but umm.. isn't it going to be pretty obvious when he puts it in his mouth which one hes got!? mmm sugary goodness
but hey, it works in favour of more research into the drug so who am i to be complaining!
wink.gif

one thing that caught my eye was when the scientist said they would look at the mdma pharmacology and take out the mdma side effects for a treatment to parkinsons. now dose this mean the euphoric high or things like neurotoxicity?
/me lines up for his pharmaceutical grade modified mdma parkinsons pills subsidised by medicare.
------------------
www.enlighten-hr.org - Enlighten Harm Reduction.

Just finished watching it then, very interesting.
A bit extra for those who didnt see it. The ppl with Parkinsons take a drug called l-dopa or something so their brain has more dopamine which lets them be able to move. But they also get involuntary movements when they take it, they are always like wriggling all over. When he took the e with the l-dopa his movement was pretty much normal. And the effect of e and l-dopa together lasted longer than the l-dopa alone. Actually there was another test where he was off the l-dopa and they compared him with and without having just e. Even that alone helped a fair bit, gave him some movement.
[This message has been edited by campers (edited 10 May 2001).]

i agree totally. the documentry has made me all curous as to the actaul nerochem of parkinsons disease. and a quick trawl around the net has shown me some of the more indepth side of what the documentry glossed over.
on point with the documentry that i need to question was where they were showing the CT (?) scans of his dopamine binding sites with the mdma and without, it showed no apparent increase ("no more than a few percent") of synasial dopamine release. the scientist guy was saying that mdma has no effect on dopamine release. now, i don't know where this was only a reference to the specific case, where he HAD no dopamine to be released, or as a general statement. i have always been led to believe that mdmda stimulates the gross release of seratonin, and to a lesser degree dopamine (as well as the two or three other minor releases of nerotransmitter that i cant remember). i'm sure most of us have noticed the 'wired' feeling with jitters and clenching that occurs when you stupidly decide to take that extra pill in the morning. I have been believing that when there is little seratonin left, mdma's methamphetamine action becomes more noticable, and dopamine release is triggered. I know that this is not a simple case by anymeans, and that the effects of thresholds and feedback loops are involved, but as a general point..
does anyone know whether i'm hitting the mark here?
note: no tarsarlan's were injured whilst hitting the mark.
smile.gif

------------------
---------
dv8

Hmmn, Sarsen I think it was a specific reference to this guys case. Parkinsons disease is categorised by low levels of dopamine within the brain, caused by the destruction of the Basal Gangalia (sp?). This is why parkinsons is treated with L-Dopa, which is like a synthetic dopamine. However, the treatment has not been completely successful as anybody can see in Parkinsons patients their impaired motor function.
I think when the doctor reffered to the MDMA not releasing a substansial ammount of dopamine, this was taking into account that the patient has abnormally low levels of the neurotransmitter in the first place.
So, don't take that extra pill in the morning...
------------------
The woods are dark and deep, and you have miles to go before you sleep...

Wow.
I agree with all the good stuff about the doco, but here's something that caught my attention about the guy.
He was a stunt man, very active, very fit and agile, star on Television and all that sort of stuff.
Imagine how it must feel for him, after being struck down so early in life, with such a debilitating desease.
Then imagine how he feels when he drops pills, gets his agility back and is able to do almost all the things that he used to be able to do. Imagine the absolute high (apart from the fact that he's jumping around and falling into big sponge pools, I wish I could do that on a pill!!) he would feel. The ability to have his old life back for a while. I don't think that anyone would be able to express that feeling, a true peak, a true ecstasy.
I'm partly jealous, but mostly not.
More power to this guy too, did you notice he actually dropped the pill on camera. Never seen that before on TV, private videos fuck yeah, but never actually on TV.
ROCK ON BROTHER.
BASS OUT
------------------
Dancer, Mid 1978 Model, Located in Melbourne, Well worn in, a few squeeks here and there but maintained to usual standards. No RWC, No Reg, Fuck all Brakes, Bald Tyres, Good Amps, but no overload protection or output filter once turned on, fired up and fed the right stuff. For more info, please call 1800 BASS JUNKY
FEEL THE BASS, let it work you into a frenzy.
"I'm stuck on this island, Gilligan Style"

Wow.
I agree with all the good stuff about the doco, but here's something that caught my attention about the guy.
He was a stunt man, very active, very fit and agile, star on Television and all that sort of stuff.
Imagine how it must feel for him, after being struck down so early in life, with such a debilitating desease.
Then imagine how he feels when he drops pills, gets his agility back and is able to do almost all the things that he used to be able to do. Imagine the absolute high (apart from the fact that he's jumping around and falling into big sponge pools, I wish I could do that on a pill!!) he would feel. The ability to have his old life back for a while. I don't think that anyone would be able to express that feeling, a true peak, a true ecstasy.
More power to this guy too, did you notice he actually dropped the pill on camera. Never seen that before on TV, private videos fuck yeah, but never actually on TV.
ROCK ON BROTHER.
BASS OUT
------------------
Dancer, Mid 1978 Model, Located in Melbourne, Well worn in, a few squeeks here and there but maintained to usual standards. No RWC, No Reg, Fuck all Brakes, Bald Tyres, Good Amps, but no overload protection or output filter once turned on, fired up and fed the right stuff. For more info, please call 1800 BASS JUNKY

Wow.
ROCK ON BROTHER.
BASS OUT
------------------

Wow.
ROCK ON BROTHER.
BASS OUT
------------------

I'm so impressed to see so many people so excited about this recent development in both understanding parkinsons and MDMA.
The most interesting thing I found was the largely unexplainable effect that ecstacy was having on the brain that was relating to parkinsons.
Parkinsons and its effects on the brain are still largely a mystery (as this doco demonstrated). Ecstasy is in the same boat if you ask me.
Personally I think we're yet to discover either some neuro transmitters or (definately) the correct relations between the known ones.
Serotonin and Dopamine are surley responsible for a lot but what makes my salvinorin A (and C) pyschoactive?

Yes very good doco. This program has taken MDMA and looked at it from a completely different perspective, showing a guy taking MDMA and jumping around and having fun with it without dying? Haha, I'm sure channels 7,9 & 10 would never have approved of portraying MDMA like that, as they are pure structural functionalists and like to brainwash us in ways that keep us from being naughty. Also, I laughed when the researcher at the end said "we are going to follow this up and continue to conduct research, however, MDMA is an illegal drug so it wont be used for our research", what a load horse shit. The whole point of it all is because the E so as if they're going to exclude it. I bet the government will probably give them free supplys of MDMA if it means the potential to make a new discovery and increase the reputation of the country. Just like france got a big head when they stitched than hand back to that guy. A country will give anything for that kind of recognition.