Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Supersonic hearing

Toasty

Bluelighter
There was a mention of this in the LSD & acid links thread. Has anyone else had it? I used to get it when I first smoked pot and later I used to get it when I tripped but then it was suggested to me that I was actually hearing voices- that is I was creating in my brain likely things that people would say. All the things they would say were nasty too. Then I got real paranoid and I havn't tripped for a long time. But I swear there is something going on with supersonic hearing. Anyone else experience this?

Only after I come out of the phone booth. Think its got something to do with the red and blue suit.
wink.gif

------------------
"Drugs work"

Trips are bad.
Acid is bad.
Don't know lots about X, but i know acid is bad.
You hallucinate, and if you hallucinate about nasty shit, the next time you trip, you will experience the nasty shit again. If you must trip, try doing it in a safe, very comfortable environment where you won't be bothered, i.e. turn off your mobile or unplug phones...
Otherwise, take care and have fun!
p.s. My mate could hear voices when he smoked pot, scared and scarred him for quite a while, refused to smoke pot until i assured him that he'd be alright and it was all just in his head. Think it was all about finding the right kinda weed, we found it..
wink.gif

------------------
I have the body of a God,........Buddha.

I don't know about when on acid, but when I was bulbing once I got it...
We were in a multi-level carpark... After inhaling a couple of bulbs, I'd quite clearly hear the sound of cars and even though I knew they were far away, I could hear them quite clearly... When the nos wore off, the sounds of the cars faded to a dull and distant rumble...
Also, when a friend was bulbing, he could hear a neighbour mowing the lawn... None of his friends could hear it, but he was sure it was real... He ran outside and a few blocks away, and sure enough someone was mowing their lawn...
Co-incidences? Possibly, but I don't think so...
Here's a theory... Nitrous gives you that weird repeating machine-gun hearing... What if it somehow makes your brain repeat and amplify certain sounds? ...car engines, lawnmowers, they both have the same rough cyclic sounds, and maybe your brain under the effect of nitrous catches those sounds and loops them so that the sound seems to be a lot louder...
Hmm... prolly not, but its something to think about
smile.gif

LSD increases the frequency range that the human ear can here. In addition to this everytime we speak we emmit sounds outside our own normal frequency. So what I'm trying to say is that when you trip everything will be magnified as you can hear a greater range of frequencies. Now this doesn't actually answer your question as you may have just been hearing shit as LSD gives visual, auditry, smell, taste and feel hallucination its just that the visuals are the most shocking so they are the ones we notice.
------------------
To the one you feel in the metronome of your mind.
Does it offend you that our rhythm looks strange.
Or causes your thinking to be re arranged.
Could it be that you would understand this beat to which we dance
more clearly had you been given a chance
So as you struggle to find the feel with your feet
Ask yourself can you dance to my beat!

Do you have any references for the ability of LSD to increase the audible frequency range of the human ear? I'd like to know how this is possible.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

I get this EVERYTIME i take copious amounts of acid. As i near the peak, background noises sort of "wind up" and increase frequency like someone turning up the frequency dial - this intensifies with the peak intensity and dies down as the peak wears off.
I just thought this was a common acid effect? I get it everytime though, no shit.

Fair enough - but are we talking about increased frequency range that is audible, or are you referring to being able to hear sounds that are at a normally inaudible intensity? Could you hear sounds that are normally too high-pitched or low-pitched to hear, or are you saying that you're more able to hear sounds that are normally too quiet to hear?

Just some experiences. It may help.
I don't know why, but music sounds fantastic on cid. Generally, I can hear all the instruments, even individual notes; and CD's become more of a journey then a listining experience. No voices though, except for the little one in my mind that usually accompanies on trips and adventures.
As far as supersonic hearing goes, sometimes with mdma, I can hear conservations, people talking etc. from a long distances. Yeah, supersonic everything with mdma.

BigTrancer got that tid bit from an interview with Shuglin (Not the one on here though) I'll see if I can find it again and then I add the URL. It had something to do with the sensitivity of the brain and nothing to do with your ears.
Hope to get back to you soon.

BT - things become more audible (say for example it is easier to pinpoint individual animal/insect noises if tripping in the bush) than as per usual, and i find i can "hone in" on a certain sound. Also, everything winds up into a slightly higher frequency and background noises give me that sort of high frequncy squelching effect. They are higher and more "squelchy" but they are definately more audible too.
Music via headphones on cid gives me closed eye visuals matching the music, but preferentially psy/pumping trance mixes
smile.gif
It is a great effect. (only get when had a copious amount of acid) Try it with 2 strong trips (if u can handle it - i dont know anyone's pref for acid) and i'm sure you'll get it.
smile.gif

thaspeed.

BT about acid expanding your frequency range, i strongly doubt this. no one especially at the age most of us are can hear anything outside of the 20hz-20Khz region.
maybe your mind can hear better because usually a lot of your conscienceness is waisted on superficial things going on around you. on a trip most of your attention is used up on internal things, ie your hearing etc.
acid truly is a remarkable thing and if youre ready for it a life changing experience as you turn around and face your sub-conscience.
------------------
think for yourself
question authority
throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we don't know who we are, or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. to think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open-mindedness, chaotic, confused, vulnerability to inform yourself

I've had this once while sitting in a shopping centre food court. We were rather stoned and I remember be able to hear forks and plates being used like someone was banging them next to my ears! Maybe it just intensifies certain sounds? We all know that LSD and mj are great at enhancing music so why not everyday sounds? Or it may just make you *listen* out for them more instead of just letting them pass through as background noise.

I found my super hearing mostly enhanced human vocal noises- thus the fear that it was just voices in my head. But one experience I used to get all the time was when I was younger and smoked pot in my parents' shed. As soon as I'd had a cone I was suddenly really aware that I could hear the sound of children playing in the local primary school, which was quite a way away. I also used to take a lot of trips and go to things that it probably wasn't appropriate to get really fucked up for, and I would be very aware that I could hear people's side comments to their friends, usually on the theme to 'check out that drug-fukked person'. This could just be paranoid voices but I once had a friend who was sitting next to one of these people while I was on the other side of the room confirm what they said. I wish there was some scientific proof that super hearing happens as there is someone I would love to prove that I am not hearing voices to.

i know that i'll get smacked around for not posting references, but i'm sure as sure that an increase in the audible hearing range is an effect attributed to lsd.
i'm starting to read a lot of huxley's work (at the moment, door of perception) and i'm interested in how lsd may limit the brains ability to filter some of the sensory information that is recieved.
i know that whilst tripping (my first only two weeks ago) i was walking past a terrace housewith its door open on a quiet little street, and i could clearly hear the conversation of two people inside at the other end of the house. i'm pretty sure effects like this are just the brain forgetting what to place importance on, and which level to filter the sensory input to.
with nitrous, i've had times (notably feb dirtcore) where i've lost all sence of auditory direction. sounds were being split up so that i could hear the nrg stage (on my left) in my right ear, and the main stage (on my right) in my left ear. things like the ability to only hear sounds from one direction are always interesting. but i think that nitrous's effects are so crude when compared to that of acid. acid is working a a higher level on consiousness, where nitrous is imparing and altering basic perceptions.
one intersting thing i had had happen quite a few times on nitrous, is the ability to see people talking as sound waves. i'd come just back from my trip, look around a room of people, and be able to see what looked like little distortions travelling between them. it looked kind of like the way the preditor cloaked himself. it was very interesting watching these 'lines' of communication of people talking, and i became intrigued by them and went and put my hand up between two people (which were talking loundly at each other across the room) so as to block to sound wave. as soon as i did this, i could no longer hear either of them at all. it was tho their lips were moving but they just werent making a sound. i moved my hand away, and their voices came back instantanously...
i think that ruski remebers the day of the 45 minute bulb trip.
anyway, i think that maybe i should just put down that loverly isi deluxe for a while..
------------------
---------
dv8
[This message has been edited by sarsen (edited 11 May 2001).]

Big Trancer: i'm pretty sure we don't actually increase the frequencies we hear at, we just notice what we can hear more.
Hypnosis is used on crime witnesses because while there is too much information for our concious mind to register, our subconcious stores it and can be accessed in a hypnotic/ trance state. Acid would probably count as a trance state.

i've experienced the same sensitive hearing thing with acid (happens with bulbs too).....
i was at a hall doof with maxi, tarsy and icfml about a month ago listening to the AWESOME sounds of slieker and i could hear the next track being mixed in, but it was a good 5 minutes before anyone else could (tarsy was pilling and i'd had more acid than icfml and maxi) ..... thing is, i'm not even sure i was fully aware that i was picking up the sounds, coz i'd say stuff like wouldn't it be awesome if slieker dropped "pocket rocket" and then about a minute later i'd become aware that i was indeed hearing that track (still took a while for tarsy to hear it - sorry to pick on ya tars, it's just it was you i was annoying most of the night with my lousy attempts at singing the tracks i was talking about!!!)
so yeah, i sorta came to the conclusion too that it was the acid that was extending my hearing range to frequencies i wouldn't noramlly be able to perceive (and i have pretty dodgy hearing as it is, well in my right ear anyway).
bk

wow thanks guys for all your replies, It's nice to know that other people get this too! Not that I think it's a bad thing ... infact most of the time I reakon supersonic hearing rocks.