• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc On Mirtazapine and cant sleep, feeling shit, seeing doc tomorrow..Anyone had the same

blackstorm

Bluelighter
Hey,

I used to take drugs about 3 years ago, a lot for 3-4 years, ex, speed and coke.

Sometimes my head was bad for a while, but never long term.

Something shit happened this year and changed everything and I was put on a number of tabs for anxiety, doses increased then changing tabs..on Mirtazapine now and its not helping.

I think low serotonin would come back to haunt me, I used to take 3-6 tabs a night for 2-3 nights a week, something more, sometimes a lot more.
I think we must be getting shit ones here because no-one here pays what people in other countries are.

But anyway..stopped all that a few years ago because I was getting bad "zaps" constantly, mainly from the ex I think.

I think this has done something permanent because I was doing it every weekend for years, and now with taking tablets when I need to increase serotonin, (I think Mirtazapine do...nerorpidrine...something like that).
I used to take 5HTP suppliments, but I took them years, ranging from 200mg to 400mg, they did make a huge difference.

Can anyone give feedback, thoughts, tell me how dumb I was? Anything will do.

Help more :)

Yeah it sounds like mirtazapine isn't working for you, I would go to the doctor and explain you're going to need a new sleep aid.

If you have at least 8 hours to get a full night's rest before your doctor's meeting, you could try taking an OTC antihistamine for the time being, just so you aren't falling asleep in the waiting area.

I went through the entire list of non addictive sleep aids, mirtazapine included. Either it made me feel like shit, and no sleep; or sleep but double shit in the AM.

I guess this is what happens when doctors are prescribing anti depressants, anti psychotics, "Mood stabilizers", etc. For sleep.

I went through the entire list of non addictive sleep aids, mirtazapine included. Either it made me feel like shit, and no sleep; or sleep but double shit in the AM.

I guess this is what happens when doctors are prescribing anti depressants, anti psychotics, "Mood stabilizers", etc. For sleep.

I agree caseface; I don't think that these drugs are good sleep aids whatsoever. If they work for you, that's great, but they shouldn't be the first choice for most people who are asking for a sleep aid.

I'm not recommending Xanax, or Seconal prescriptions for everyone, but there's a reason why these drugs exist in the first place.

Are you taking the mirtazapine for sleep or as a anti-depressant? What dose are you on? If your taking it as a anti-depressant it tends to be alot faster acting then SSRI's or most other anti-depressants but it still takes atleast 2 weeks for the anti-depressant effects to fully start to kick in and even then you should give it a good month. It's a serotonin norepinephrine enhancer so it's in a class of it's own really. People usually start off on 15mg's a night or less and work their way up to 30mg's a night. Since it's a very strong anti-histamine it tends to knock people right out at lower doses but the norepinephrine effects kick in at higher doses so the drowsiness goes away atleast abit for some people when they get to 30mg's a night.

Because of it's effects on serotonin and it's anti-histamine effects it causes munchies worse then weed for alot of people and it get's a bad rep for causing weight gain. I was taking 30mg's a night along with risperidone and the hunger was so bad for me i wouldnt go to sleep until i had cleaned out about half the fucking fridge. It didnt work that well for me posasibly because im bipolar and was not taking any mood stabilizer with it so it made my moods more wacky. Since i get the type of depression where i sleep all the time mirtazapine was hardly the ideal anti-depressant for me anyway.

It sounds like your getting a opposite reaction then most people do from this med. This happens though with every medication and i know people that say seroquel gives them insomnia rather then knocking them out. So if your taking it as a sleep aid try something else. I think meds actually approved for use as sleep aids should generally be tried before meds like remeron are. Zopiclone is a very good and pretty safe sleep aid so that would be a good one to try.

im in a similar situation actually. iv been on mirtazapine for about 4 years now(30mg) and have been doing lots of hallucinogens, benzo's and opiates for the main duration of tht time until i went to rehab about 9 months ago. since then i can not sleep at all. iv slept for 3 hours in the past 3 days. I used to be on a small dose of quetiapine (25mg) at night as well which helped slightly but they took me off that along with my nitrazepam (15-20mg) when i was in rehab and since then the docs have been incredibly cautious about giving me anything sedating. I managed to get my doc to prescribe me some nitrazepam last week but could only get a small supply so im oing back tomorrow. Im thinking im going to ask her for a couple of weeks worth of quetiapine and nitrazepam until the appointment with the psychiatrist comes through. Its really getting to me to be honest and my anxiety levels are waaaay up. i just cant face the world like this and its making me feel really stupid. I read somewhere recently that a side effect of mirtazepine can be insomnia, which would make sense. i just wish someone knew what they were doing. im definately going to come off the mirtazepine when i get my appointment with the psychiatrist though, probably go back on amitryptaline again. sorry about the rubbish grammer and spelling, im simply too tired to function and cant fall asleep.

Hehe, reading the munchies part in the above post brought back amazing reminders. After 7 years in my 10 years-relationship with H, i spoke with my parents and decided to see my 1st doc (i never really trusted them) He gave me some tramadol, yes gave me hand in hand, and prescribed Remeron. It worked well for the 1 week i was using it, as it got me to sleep and made me eat like a 1st time stoner. A buddy of mine who was also prescribed Remeron and he woke up 1 day to find himself eating the bed cover! Anyways, since this was a long time ago, i don't remember my dose in mg, but rather the doc instructions...1.5 pill before bedtime, and along with the Tramadol, they did the job..But again that's just me and my specific case.
I suggest you talk to your doc and be honest with him, i'm sure you'll find your sweet spot somehow, just do something about it. Good luck

I went through all this once because I was having a tough time sleeping and had important shit to do at work. Seroquel, Remeron (Mirtazipine), Trazodone. Fucked me up and pissed me off. A short acting benzo woulda done me just fine, or an ambien. I won't touch any antideps, antipsychs now. For me they really messed up my life, especially a month on Seroquel and Remeron. I wanted to kill my doctor. I was pretty drug free at the time. Those 2 in particular seem far more dangerous than illicit drugs. I would tell the doctor how terrible I was feeling, he kept saying give it another week. So like a fool I did and it made everything much worse.

Temazepam works really well for me when I absolutely need to sleep and get up early to do important shit. No hangover, no waking up in the middle of the night. Of course I never got that from a doctor.

edit-
Eating the bed cover thing thats funny. Remeron would make me so hungry I couldn't sleep, I'd just stay up eating and eating. Chips, Ice cream, PBJ, Beef Jerky. Weird cravings on that stuff.

I was also trying to quit the H, so thought that the hunger was part of the recovery, until i asked my cousin who was also on it, and we realized that the Remeron was behind our crazy munch and wh en i stop taking it, huh...well...i was back on the smacky mac!
For the Op who disappeared, try talking to your doc and be honest with him and don't think too much of your serotonin level, life is good if you want it to be, and you are happy if you want yourself to be :)

What is sleep??? I used to have it - deep wonderful sleep. Prescribed benzos for occasional insomina and hit total Xanax tolerance. Ten years use and a cold turkey later with seizures and convulsions my brain does not know how to sleep. I rest, but I can't sleep.

If I could go back in time I would have never touched a benzo. They are amazing drugs and I got hooked super fast and didn't know it.

They really are for short term use only.

"my personal experience"

I know very well what does "10 years" mean, and good luck in those next days. Assuming that you have a doctor of course, what are your options now? Good job in kickin' the habit, keep it going. Xanax only for 10 years or did you mix? and how did you deal with the seizures and the convulsions, meds. again? Just curious to look at your big picture, if you don't mind me asking. Hoping that you remember what sleeping is soon.

i have major major sleep probs i was prescribed all kind of different things and mirtazipine was one of them it caused me to have really wierd bad thoughts and i hated it. finally my doc gave me seroquel i love it no side effects for me no weird dreams just awesome sleep i take 50 to 100 mg a night

I know very well what does "10 years" mean, and good luck in those next days. Assuming that you have a doctor of course, what are your options now? Good job in kickin' the habit, keep it going. Xanax only for 10 years or did you mix? and how did you deal with the seizures and the convulsions, meds. again? Just curious to look at your big picture, if you don't mind me asking. Hoping that you remember what sleeping is soon.

I took Ativan around 1997 or so, not sure exactly when. I've taken almost every benzo out there. The monster Xanax in 2004. I became a full blown alcoholic after the Ativan. Great life before the benzos, lost it all after. The thing is I tought they were harmless "inert" pills. I didn't know when I got hooked. I thought I was losing my mind, so I took more pills to feel sane again. The docs gave me more benzos (lots more) and then started the psych drugs - said it was me and I believed them.

I told my shrink that I was addicted to her Xanax and they were killing me. I asked her to please help me get off. She blamed me for being addicted and told me I would need to stay on Xanax for life. I pretty much despise her now.

Last edited:
lol i know this is an old thread, but that's funny she blamed you and told you that you need to take it for life lmao