• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids tapering off my oxycotin and morphine usage

lman_15

Bluelighter
Hey I don't know if this is in the right place or not, if it is not could the mod please move it to the right place..
I have been using oxycotin and morphine for about 3-5 months now on a daily basis.. Everyday I use one of two doses: 80mg of oxycotin a day OR a 60mg morphine + a 40mg oxycotin a day.. Sometimes I use more but that is usually how much I take per day.. I want to quit I'm sick of being an addict and having to take pills to be normal.. I think the easiest way would be to tapper off.. how much should i drop my dose and how often? There isn't much of an urgency for me to quit but I am hoping by the beginning of march I will be off the stuff for good.. Any feedback would be appreciated.. Thanks
Also, could I go on methadone or suboxone? Do I have a high enough daily dose to get on it? Is it a realistic treatment option or would tapering be better?

Last edited:
Theres plenty of taper threads on bluelight if you search, I wouldnt go on subs or methadone for what your taking like jumping out of pan into the fire. do you have the willpower to cut down 10mgs a week or something like that?

It all depends on your pain and your will power, don't take this the wrong way but do u think your a strong person mentally? I only ask cuz I tried kicking oxyz a few years ago and it was brutal for me, unfortunately I ended up starting back up sand eventually started using dope (which is how alot of people I meet starting off with oxys then went to dope cuz its cheaper and stronger) but since u have a script I wouldn't worry about that, anyways try cutting everything in half the first day or two ( def do it on a weekend or when your not working ) see how u feel and function, if its too much pain or discomfort take your regular dose then try cutting a quarter of it, which ever u feel like u can handle stick with it, if your strong mentally and can deal with the pain ( cuz at least for me when I tried to quit I was vomiting, shitting alot, couldn't sleep at all and had the worst restless legs which I can't handle very good, the rest of the side affects feel like u got a terrible flu but can't sleep ) I would cut down as many as I can handle then do that for at least a week cuz your body will get used to it. Keep cutting that until your done or feel better about the amount u r taking, that's the quick way, but like I said its not gonna be easy, I actually had easier time quitting dope than I did oxys for some reason, u could always get methadone or subs but that's something your body depends on also

If u do take subs I would recommend get the 2 mgs cuz its easier to take one of those compared to chopping a 8 mg into quarters, but I've known people who take the subs instead of oxys because they feel more in control but quitting subs is just as hard as quitting oxys

i don't have a script, i'm just sick of all the lying to my gf and family and the $800 habit a month.. i'm getting sick of all the bullshit i'm doing really good at university and wanna kick this habit.. i'm calling the methadone clinic tomorrow and seeing what they can do for me.. how much should i taper every day/week/month? if i have 3 months can i kick the habit without feeling like complete shit

dude, in my opinion it will not take anything like three months to quit your habit, and i would definitely try to do it without methadone, as that will likely be way overkill, prolong habit, and not be necessary in your case. if you seriously want to quit w/out major physical withdrawal symptoms, i would just taper. (also, you could just drop to like 40 for a week or so then just stop and the w/ds would not be terrible).

honestly, with the amount you are taking and the relatively short term of addiction, i don't think you will struggle too much as long as you are actually determined to stop. i would try to halve your daily dose like the other poster said. if you can handle that for a few days, continue to taper down every 3 or 4 days or so, cutting 10mg at a time i'd say until you reach 10 mg, then drop 5, then drop 2.5, then go every other day, etc. - or just stop after a week or so at 10 mg, and it shouldn't be too bad at all. i may be a rare case, but i tapered off of 100-160 mg/day oxy habit that i'd maintained for at least a year in about 2 weeks, and i never had to miss work or anything. (look into some sort of support or something if you want to avoid relapse and that kind of thing though, but i think you could easily be off the oxy w/out any major problems physically in a few weeks)