Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

US CBS - RoboTripping: The Legal High

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Parents Usually Don't Think Of Cough Medicine As Addictive
November 15, 2010 11:13 PM

With reader comments

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/11/15/robotripping-the-legal-high/

'NEW YORK (CBS 2) — An alarming number of teens are getting high — not on illegal drugs but on something found in many homes.
It’s a dangerous addiction that can go unnoticed until its too late.

Dextromethorphan or DXM can be found in more than 100 cough medicines. More than 3 million teens nationwide have tried robotripping.
“It’s in your house, like everybody has it in their cabinets,” “Amanda” said.
Amanda said she started robotripping at the age of 16 and then couldn’t stop. For one year, abusing cough medicine took over her life.

CBS 2: “How addictive was it for you?”
Amanda: “It’s definitely addictive. It’s not something parents can catch onto easily.”
Parents may warn their children about illegal drugs, but experts say abusing cough medicine is usually not something most parents think of or worry about.

“They don’t think it’s as big of a deal because it’s a household product, something that they can buy in the store and a lot of times they don’t even know their children might be using it,” said Eriach Fox of Daytop Rehabilitation Center.
Studies show more than half of the teens in rehab have used cough medicine with DXM to get high.

“It was kind of a friend thing at first and as soon as I did it and didn’t feel pain anymore, I stuck with it and started using every day,” Amanda said.
Once she started, her addiction quickly spiraled out of control.
“My family just had enough of me and my attitudes and my out late at night and not coming home and not knowing what I was doing,” she said.

Experts warn parents to be aware of what’s in the medicine cabinet. Cough medicines with DXM have a clear warning label telling parents to learn about teen medicine abuse. The earlier the abuse is discovered, the better, because, as in Amanda’s case, when DXM is not enough to get a high, teens may move onto something else.
“I was using heroine,” Amanda said. “I started to shoot up which is something I promised myself I would never do.

“I lost my family. I lost my friends. I lost my everything.”

At the age of 18, she had nothing.
“I had to figure out what to do on my own,” Amanda said.
It took everything she had left to make the decision to check herself into rehab.

Now, a few months later, she’s clean. She’s finishing high school at the Daytop Rehabilitation Center. She’s also in their chorus, using her voice to rise out of addiction.
“There’s definitely a lot of mountains and definitely a lot of hills that I am hitting right now and I feel like if I try hard enough I can get over them,” Amanda said.
She’s using her strength to create a future all her own.'

Its funny they do these pieces like once a year and act like its some new thing when in reality its been around for 10-15 years. Total hack piece yea half teens in rehab may have used it but how many are there because of it?

this article is so typical 8)

-make vague, fear inducing statement geared towards hooking soccer moms, ignorant family based types

-identify substance, drop random statistics to make it seem intimidating and widespread

-interview someone involved in usage of the drug. The interviewee usually goes by only a first name, or is protected with varying levels of anonymity

-add in opinion or critique from either someone in the medical field, or recovery based institution. Back up with more skewed or misleading statistics, as well as some sort of warning or appeal to parents

-warn of dire consequences for the user and vague warnings in general for the scared parental types, including comments hinting at ease of which substance is acquired or consumed, as well as comment on how this is something which arose as of yesterday, and is some sort of novel idea or brand new trend

bonus points for mentioning heroin too. Of course "Amanda" went from robotripping to shooting "heroine"(sic), which could happen to YOUR kid unless you dump every scheduled substance and cough remedy containing DXM in your medicine cabinet immediately! Luckily for us, "Amanda" sought rehab and was rehabilitated by our wonderful system, becoming a recovery success story, model citizen, and all around great American and role model for us all. Lest we forget consumption of any drug for recreational purposes(besides alcohol of course) will inevitably lead you to ODing in a gutter or locked up for murdering senior citizens for drug money in between prostituting yourself and robbing convenience stores to feed your habit

dude I swear there is like a robotripping news story like every year for the past 25 years

LSDMDMA&8995102 said:
dxm is fucking gay

STFU.jpg

no
ive done it a few times, its fucking retarded
DOOD LETS GUZZLE COUGH MEDICINE CAUSE WE CANT GET A REAL DISASSOCIATIVE LIKE KETAMINE

Hey CBS I am 16 years old and addicted to benadryl and dust-off, interview me.

“My family just had enough of me and my attitudes and my out late at night and not coming home and not knowing what I was doing,” she said. [...] “I was using heroine,” Amanda said. “I started to shoot up which is something [...] “I lost my family. I lost my friends. I lost my everything.”

Did these happen before or after the "heroine" use? Either way dxm doesn't make you stay out and not come home, that's your own problem. Grow up.

LSDMDMA&8995124 said:
dxm is fucking gay
+
DOOD LETS GUZZLE COUGH MEDICINE CAUSE WE CANT GET A REAL DISASSOCIATIVE LIKE KETAMINE

So what if it's in cough products, this doesn't change it's pharmacology. It's still the same chemical. It's as if MDMA was accepted for psychotherapy or cannabis used nationally for cancer patients. Would you still say "oh lets take psychotherapy and cancer treatment alleviation drugs"? I think that's a really silly approach, to see a drug for how it's put out instead of what it actually is.

LSDMDMA&8995124 said:
no

bayerheroin.jpg

its just cough syzzurpz lolz

awmagad teens using recreationally drugs from the drug store/apotechary(whatev u call it), didnt know that was happening!!(sarcasm):p

Huh

well personallyy I could never be addicted to dxm.,.
- it feels like shit. ., well compared to other drugs.
- has some pretty nasty effects on brain and body .

LSDMDMA&8995124 said:
no

It is a real dissociative just like ketamine and PCP. It resembles PCP alot more then ketamine atleast for me though.

And yeah every year it seems theres a story like this on atleast one network. It seems to have peaked maybe 5 years ago now they just do one every now and then.

what is it with drugs prejudice on this board? Don't assume that everyone feels what you feel when you take a chemical.

I love DXM. It's on my top ten. I wish I could do it every week but tachyphylaxis sets in and I end up having to take several months off at a time.

God this is a terrible article.

OMFG do they have a editor on staff there or someone that knows how to spell. How the fuck can a major news media outlet misspell heroin as heroine?

FFS :!

ha, i told my mom i relapsed on dxm and she said "oh i have that on my night stand how come when i drink a lot nothing happens to me?" lmao.

It definitely has some strong effects, and some equally strong after-effects. Having the vision of a recently halted marry-go-round fanatic for a day afterwards and the hellish realizations you may come to while extremely disassociated were enough for me to stop on my third time, maybe about 4 years ago...

Somehow I don't think I'd mind a stroll down that lane once again though. Talk about some bang for your buck.

not even reading the article lol this is so old

To those knocking on DXM, it's good stuff if you're into meditation, most vivid realistic CEVs I've had on anything. And I just took some a week ago, even though I had 'real dissociatives like ketamine'- Taking a mid 2nd plateau dxm trip and then boosting it from time to time with ketamine is a BLAST. You can go in and out of holes easily for hours, using wayyy less k then you would have to otherwise. It lays a nice ground work.

Its funny they do these pieces like once a year and act like its some new thing when in reality its been around for 10-15 years.
I know what you mean but you really have to step back and see it from the medias point of view. It makes a good story, grabs the attention of lots of viewers, boosts the reporters egos, and it makes them money.