(answered) I received an IP ban out of the blue

benson7

Bluelighter
When I try to access the site through Vista I get

Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here

But I've received no warnings, and to be honest none of my posts are remotely offensive. Can some please explain why I've received this ban?

Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here

But I've received no warnings, and to be honest none of my posts are remotely offensive. Can some please explain why I've received this ban?

By saying "through Vista", are you implying this warning does not occur on a different operating system?

Please clarify:

Is this only with Vista? On any OS?
With a particular browser, or any browser you use?
If your on a laptop, is it only thru one location (ie, home) but not others (ie, coffee shop)?
Can you provide a screen capture of the error message?

Can you PM me with the IP you are coming in with that is being blocked? I see you coming in through many of them, and can't fathom why you're getting this error message. Of the many IPs I see you coming in with, none have been giving us, or our users, any trouble.

Thanks for your quick response. I tried to attach a screen print but received an invalid doc warning. Basically when I access the site I get this message

"Bluelight Message
User Name Remember Me?
Password

Go to Page...

Bluelight Message
Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here"

I can only access via TOR and I constantly have to log in. I get the warning when I try to access the site through my regular IP.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Looking into this a bit.....it appears to be akin to this from our Greenlighter Guide:

I am getting an Error 601

This error means that you have tried to register or activate a Bluelight account from a computer that is blacklisted in an open proxy list. You must either register from another location or have your IP address removed from the proxy list in order to register. The error message contains some information about this process:

Your computer does not have access to this function.

The reason is that you are visiting from a computer that is listed in an open proxy list.
To prevent abuse of our systems, we cannot allow new registrations from this IP address.

You might return after fixing this problem, or register from a different location.

Fixing the open proxy listing will require work on your part. Your computer may have ended up on a blocklist because you have (had) a virus or spyware which allows other people to abuse your Internet connection.

First, scan your computer for any viruses and spyware. Second, you or your ISP must take action to remove your IP address from the proxy lists. To see where your IP address is blacklisted, please visit www.openrbl.org and enter your IP address. You then need to go to the site of the blocklist and request them to remove the listing for your IP address. Often this is an automated process. At other times, it may be that you need to send email or have your ISP request the delisting. Usually the blocklist will then check if your IP address is safe and remove it from the list. When this is done, you will automatically get access to Bluelight.

Bluelight doesn't block IPs (we don't even keep them - fer realz), our software relies on other spam filtering sites that keep logs of SPAMmer IPs to block incoming problems - this is common practice for lots of sites, as maintaining a list of IPs isn't feasible, and it makes more sense to have clearing houses record them and we lean on their database for validation.

This appears to be the case with the IP you've provided me. If you go to any of a number of sites that check for IPs getting blacklisted, you'll find that your IP is in those logs (not all, but some, and one is all it takes). You have to contact each of those logs individually to get your IP removed from their blacklist.

As an example, feed your IP into any of the following blacklist checkers:

http://blacklistalert.org
http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check
http://antispamsniper.com/dnsbl.php

You'll probably experience the same thing at several other sites, if they also employ these clearinghouses.

Sorry we can't do more.

When I had a dynamic IP from a DSL provider my IP was different about every two or three days. Now with a cable provider my IP doesn't seem to change hardly ever. Your getting this out of the blue makes me think you have an IP that changes from time to time. You might call your ISP and see if you can release the current IP in favor of a new one. I think sometimes users can force a new IP from their modem or by doing stuff from networking in their PC but I've never done it myself and I'm sure it doesn't work many places. http://www.whatismyip.com/faq/how-to-change-your-ip-address.asp

Yes I was indeed on some blacklist, though lord knows why. I have access again now though on my usual IP.

I'd like to say thank you to TheLoveBandit and everyone else who helped me with this.

i run Vista also and every once and awhile you have to change your IP address its built in and easy to do....just search for IP change...

I recommend getting 7. IME changing things isn't so much of a hassle finding the options you need. And the search on the start menu is so much better.

I had the same issue. It said my IP was banned too, so I just reset my router and got a different IP, now working again.

I use sky broadband and live in the UK fwiw

Last edited:
Any suggestions on what to do if you're having the problem on a mobile? I'm running android, and get an ip is blocked message. Don't have that problem on my PC.

^I don't know how IPs are assigned to mobile devices. I would try shutting the phone down and turning it back on, on the chance the IP address is assigned when you turn the phone on- but I'm not at all confidant that would work.

If you feel comfortable mentioning your carrier and phone manufacturer/model I can try to search for people on the web who have overcome similar problems. Preliminary reading suggests IPs on phones can be assigned to many users at the same time which would likely lead to those IPsgetting on ban lists much more often.

i had this problem and was referred to that help bit above......was useless as i couldnt remove my ip from the blacklists

solution was to reset my router which gave me a new ip....not ideal but works

ip banned

why is my ip addy banned on the usual pc i use as far as im aware i havnt broken any rules? tried contacting admin to no avail.tad confused.

if you have broken any rules im sure you would have got atleast 1 warning from a mod before anything happend to your account.It might be you internet connection.Also bluelight has been goin pritty slow lately so if your internet is slow to begin with bluelight will be really slow for you...im presuming....Hope that helps :)

scrooloose, there is no disciplinary record about any problems with you as a poster. Do you know if you have a dynamic IP that changes periodically? Some DSL, dial up, smart phone connections, change your IP periodically. You could have inherited the former IP of a spammer or the like.

If this is the case turning off your modem and turning it back on could give you another IP, hopefully one that has no problem history.

If that doesn't work you can try and see if these links are helpful.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/change-ip
http://www.wikihow.com/Change-your-IP-Address-(Windows)

Also it is possible your network, dns server, or ISP is blocking BL rather than BL blocking your IP. Are you getting any spefic messages when you are unable to connect to Bluelight. if so would you post them or a screen pic of what happens?

Merged.

And an update:

Bluelight doesn't block IPs (we don't even keep them - fer realz), our software relies on other spam filtering sites that keep logs of SPAMmer IPs to block incoming problems - this is common practice for lots of sites, as maintaining a list of IPs isn't feasible, and it makes more sense to have clearing houses record them and we lean on their database for validation.

We are getting A LOT of admin emails about this issue, which to repeat, we cannot get people's IP addy's or ranges removed from the spam filtering sites. HOWEVER, I will use this coming weekend to try and investigate which of the ones we're relying on is kicking out the most errors and see if we can drop them from our list of resources. This may hopefully address the majority of people experiencing this problem.

I'll let you know early next week what I can find out.

this has happened to myself. i recieved no warnings and posted no offensive material or broke any rules. i can get on through my friends laptop (the one im on now) but cannot get on on my own :(