View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Vote for your favorite cigarette health warning

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
by Elizabeth Armstrong Moore
November 10, 2010 3:55 PM

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services today unveiled 36 graphic cigarette warning images, 9 of which will make their way to cigarette packages and advertisements in 2012, and they've given the public two months to weigh in, starting Friday.

Tobacco use is the leading cause of premature and preventable death in the United States, according to the HHS, and it is responsible for 443,000 deaths each year, with 1,200 current and former smokers dying prematurely every day due to tobacco-related diseases.

Dozens of countries around the world, including the U.S., already mandate the presence of some form of health warning on cigarette packages. A smaller number, including Brazil and Australia, require that graphic images take up a certain percentage of those ads and packages; Canada led that pack, so to speak, with images that cover at least half of the entire package since 1994.

continued at:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27083_3-20022438-247.html

see also:

http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/CigaretteProductWarningLabels/default.htm

I vote for "man injecting cigarette" "woman blowing smoke in babies face" "Crying Toddler"

Needs more gore imo.

Yeah those pictures they use in Brazil are hardcore. I'd still buy exactly as many cigarettes then as I do now, which is roughly 1 pack per year, depending on the year. I might buy more if they had gnarly pictures on them actually.

Since when do cigarettes cause cancer? I wish somebody would have put these images on the packages sooner! I had no idea

I might buy more if they had gnarly pictures on them actually.

haha collectable cigarette packs imo

putting goatse on em' would probably be a more effective way to get people to stop buying cigarettes..

js.

I vote for "man injecting cigarette"

A+, IMO.

When people buy cigarettes in 2012, they'll be like "Can I get the pack where he's shooting up? Yeah, that one!"

This might turn more injecting drug users onto smoking cigarettes. Oh, the irony. =D

26ai.jpg

This says to me "ugh... I'm bored... when is this nitrous going to kick in...."

93aa.jpg

aaand this one says...

Gee now that I've quit smoking cigarettes, instead of sucking in life, I can blow!!!

Last edited:
I started smoking when I was 15 and I am now 28. Would these pictures make a difference when I was younger and all of us "cool kids" were smoking........no. The culture of smoking has been somewhat changed in the last 10 years, but I'm not sure how effective these pictures will be in the US.

I started smoking when I was 15 and I am now 28. Would these pictures make a difference when I was younger and all of us "cool kids" were smoking........no. The culture of smoking has been somewhat changed in the last 10 years, but I'm not sure how effective these pictures will be in the US.

What happens when children see a picture of someone "shooting up a cigarette"?

It'll do 2 things:

1) They'll be interested in smoking cigarettes (Garden of Eden syndrome; you want what you can't have), and...

2) They'll be interested in shooting up is, or whatever concept they have of what it is they're doing, as they'll likely be intrigued by it since they don't have a concept of it yet. Children love learning about new things that they are previously unaware about.

^^^Exactly Captain.........those things that look most like they would piss off parents are usually the first things teens do!

Last edited: