• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Reefer sadness for pot farmers

spini4

Bluelighter
To reach Jason's farm you drive south out of the small town of Arcata, in Humboldt County, Calif., and plunge into the forest that gave the region its "Emerald Triangle" nickname. After passing through hilly ranch country and a stretch on a dusty dirt road, a wooden house peeks out of the fruit trees on 150 acres of land, completely off the electrical grid. Jason is in the kitchen, stuffing cannabis leaves into a juicer.

"Everyone around here is involved in some way," says Jason, a professional marijuana grower. What he means is that a large percentage of people in town, and every other town for miles, is either directly or indirectly subsidized by dope, from the young parents cultivating a few seedlings in the backyard to the owner of the sushi restaurant where seemingly unemployed people eat dinner, always paying in cash.

"I think we're in the middle of a boom time," says Jason, clomping over to a leather sofa with his juice. He's in his late 30s and wearing camouflage pants with a small knife clipped to his belt, heavy-duty work boots, and just enough chin scruff to keep him from looking groomed. Despite its rustic accommodations — personal business is conducted in an outhouse down the path — the house bears many signifiers of high household cash flow: gleaming new appliances, lots of products made by Steve Jobs, a Droid satellite phone. He got into the pot business almost by accident. After several years drifting hippie-style through California, Jason fell in love with the pastoral lifestyle and realized that he had to earn money to sustain it, so he became a businessman. He agreed to explain the economics of his trade, provided Bloomberg Businessweek withheld his full name.

Golden Age

The 1996 passage of Proposition 215, which legalized the possession and cultivation of marijuana for medical use in California, ushered in a green golden age. The legislation permits use of the drug by anyone with a 215 prescription, which can be dispensed by doctors for ailments ranging from cancer to a stiff neck; the Marijuana Policy Project estimates there are 355,000 patients in California who have been advised to use medical marijuana by a doctor. Selling marijuana for a profit is still illegal under state law, and there is no specific definition of how much a person can legally grow or what constitutes a profit, while all marijuana sales remain prohibited by federal law. The very vagueness of the rules created opportunity: Midlevel entrepreneurs such as Jason who were willing to live with the risks and ambiguities of a semi-legitimate market rushed in and thrived, though there are no reliable estimates of how many there are.

Now a new set of variables has thrown the business into even greater uncertainty. On Nov. 2, California will vote on Proposition 19, the "Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010," a ballot initiative introduced by an Oakland pot enthusiast named Richard Lee that proposes to legalize marijuana for personal use. The new law would permit individuals to possess up to 1 ounce and cultivate 25 square feet worth of plants at private homes, with no medical requirement. Beyond that the initiative's language is murky. Regulation of commercial production and sale of cannabis would be done by counties and municipalities, leaving the mechanics of how it would all work undefined.

One thing seems clear, though, if the measure is adopted: A quasi-black market will be replaced by a much more legal one, and prices for pot are likely to go down. It's impossible to know by how much, but a 2010 Rand study called "Altered State? Assessing How Marijuana Legalization in California Could Influence Marijuana Consumption and Public Budgets" estimates that retail prices could eventually drop by 80 percent. First, suggests Jonathan Caulkins, a public policy professor at Carnegie Mellon University and a co-author of the Rand study, there would be a "honeymoon" period of several years when production would ramp up as California product began to push out inferior Mexican pot across the country. Once that happens, you could have "a real change in industry structure," according to Caulkins. Growers would have to professionalize their operations and become even more industrial-scale to squeeze out smaller margins of profit. In such an environment, people probably won't make the $150,000 or so Jason says he clears every year, and "mom and pop" farmers will be wiped out. Jason is planning ahead. "You wanna go up top and walk through them fields of glory?" he asks. "If you can grow twice as much, you'll make the same amount of money, even if the price is half."

continued at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39914211/ns/business-bloomberg_businessweek/

I hate this whole bs "well lose money" excuse for not wanting to legalize MJ. fuck you, but the lives of the potential prosecuted individuals is far more important than living a an upper middle class life style (150,000k).

It's true, though. A perfect example of collateral damage. It will effect a lot of people that you know, and it's a little silly not to at least consider it. This measure really could wind up putting a lot of folks out of work in, nationwide, not just in Cali, in a time where we can't afford it; and concentrating production in the hands of a few people who could begin to hold the nationwide market captive to monopolistic practices and predatory market manipulation.

It's true, though. A perfect example of collateral damage. It will effect a lot of people that you know, and it's a little silly not to at least consider it. This measure really could wind up putting a lot of folks out of work in, nationwide, not just in Cali, in a time where we can't afford it; and concentrating production in the hands of a few people who could begin to hold the nationwide market captive to monopolistic practices and predatory market manipulation.

no, if they truly know how to grow they'll be valued no matter if pot is legal or not. they're just worried about losing out on their current bottom line...

Particularly if (wholesale or all) prices drop precipitously, everyone in the whole industry will be in trouble except for those on top. And not just the growers. This will be like WAL*MART coming to town for small- to mid-scale growers, traffickers, and dealers of all stripes throughout the country.

I would be happy to see it pass, however, because it will force the Feds' hand and then if the Feds crack down, it will create controversy and national dialogue, and if they don't, then it will be progress as well. But the potentially tragic economic consequences for a lot of people in the industry should not be overlooked because of zeal to legalize pot, laudable goal that that may be.

too bad we cant just make it legal to smoke, and screw the taxing and selling at the stores and stuff, thats basically what spain did.

the prop. WILL fuck some people over like the growers, and in my personal opinion will mess things up. not to mention ill probably get some DUIs on my record once it passes. you can and will get DUIs for smoking weed, and i wont put it past law enforcement to step up their marijuana enforcement, just like alcohol enforcements.

if we really wanted to fix the state we would stop paying our lawmakers to fill up their pensions, stop funneling money OUT of education and into welfare and kick EVERYONE in office out of office because they are RAPING california's prostate.

the money raised by marijuana taxation wont fix a damn thing. sure ill love not having to stress on getting high, but we dont know what things will be like until it happens....

If anything the illegality allows less people to contribute to the economy.... :!

The current big business model of MJ will not change with legalization.

I think the fact that everyone on here hates mexican brick weed is a perfect example of why boutique ganja will always be demanded by the market. Sure u can get mass produced whisky, but i pay upwards of $200 of a single malt because thats what i prefer to drink. Sure mum and pop will have to invest some money into there business to start with to comply with regulations, and they wont be able to steal power from the grid or sell unflushed herb, but is that a bad thing?

Particularly if (wholesale or all) prices drop precipitously, everyone in the whole industry will be in trouble except for those on top. And not just the growers. This will be like WAL*MART coming to town for small- to mid-scale growers, traffickers, and dealers of all stripes throughout the country.

That's exactly why I'm still sitting on the fence with this one. I'm in California, so I'll be voting. I'm leaning toward an affirmative vote, though, if only because I think that we really need to start phasing out marijuana's stigma from Western culture.

All in all, it looks like the costs of prohibition outweigh the benefits. We could criminalize potatoes, and doubtlessly, driving the potato market underground would put mega-farms out of business, and you'd see a lot more mom-and-pop growers. But nobody's advocating that.

^ I agree and disagree with that. If the pot farmers had a legitimate union, that the state recognized, pot prices would soar so much HIGHER than they currently are. Unions are mostly there to help out themselves and end up driving the cost of goods UP because nothing can be negotiated with them!

We need to be allowed to get high, end of story. None of the money raised is going to benefit anyone. Its going to help pay our lazy-ass politicians' pensions when they retire from there job campaigning for themselves...

You cant walk down the block chugging a 5th of vodka...so what makes us think were going to be allowed to walk down the block smoking a joint? Its just unfortunate because all of the information out there about many of the props. and politicians is generated by them or their enemies. You have to dig deep to find the truth.

over the last ten years the Cali. govt has written INTO its budget OVER 6 BILLION dollars that it plans to spend on things from immigration to welfare & education that it EXPECTS the federal govt. to compensate them for...guess what? the federal govt. has never ONCE hinted at providing cali. with this money. yet they spend it anyways... that creates 7 billion dollars a year EXTRA deficit along with ALLLLLL the other money being wasted and thrown into the deficit. do our law makers and politicians even care that they are fucking over the general public. NAHHHHH!

rant over!
California is grade A FUCKED....were going to be bankrupt very soon.

I already know people who used to grow very nice boutique weed in the rural Northeast who got put out of business by the Californians and now just act as middlemen, picking up mail at the PO box every week, and also moved on to selling a bunch of other shit as well. It is a sad state of affairs. I liked the local pot better, but the growers just couldn't compete :( Now they are making much less money selling more potent but not as good marijuana. It is a damn shame.

This is where I would be at a loss, I don't really sell weed or hustle, as I never had the money to be put on in the first place, but I could see dealers being mad over this. I'd still buy locally grown shit if I lived out there, or even discuss selling their stuff to shops directly, I don't see why not, they could probably buy cheaper from someone else or offer it as a less expensive option. I'm not sure how this would work, but I'd rather be able to legally smoke/grow/buy my own weed than worry about making a profit off of it.

I really don't see what's wrong with the status quo now anyway, I mean, blue cards are retardedly easy to get, are they not?
freehugs said:
Can't these growers still grow for legal/medical dispensaries?
I am referring to people on the East Coast, actually

I think the fact that everyone on here hates mexican brick weed is a perfect example of why boutique ganja will always be demanded by the market. Sure u can get mass produced whisky, but i pay upwards of $200 of a single malt because thats what i prefer to drink. Sure mum and pop will have to invest some money into there business to start with to comply with regulations, and they wont be able to steal power from the grid or sell unflushed herb, but is that a bad thing?

I smoke Mexican brick weed, and I definitely don't hate it. But maybe I'm the only one. There's definitely not going to be a decrease in demand for excellent weed though, because everyone loves good weed.

I smoke Mexican brick weed, and I definitely don't hate it. But maybe I'm the only one. There's definitely not going to be a decrease in demand for excellent weed though, because everyone loves good weed.

You also live in Texas. After being brought up on High Grade, I would never, ever want to smoke mexican schwag.

I really don't see what's wrong with the status quo now anyway, I mean, blue cards are retardedly easy to get, are they not?

I am referring to people on the East Coast, actually

I know the bottom part is a response to a different post, but the status quo on the east coast doesn't have these retardedly easy 'blue cards'.

This is how business is though. It's too bad that these people who are making money now will not be, but someone else will be. It's unfortunate that this'll end their job, but dealing and growing weed hasn't ever been a consistent business. The marijuana growers making money by selling to medical clubs should consider themselves lucky that they got to make money during this grey area.

Yeah, and personally I think mj's here to stay, and it's possible that eventually some states may not go directly to legalization/taxation but will go the way that Cali is at the moment (pot clubs, grey area's, etc) and these people who already have operations could easily re-locate to one of the new "hot-spot" states and set up shop with the business model/grower knowledge they already possess, idk?