• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Parents, experts divided on school drug testing

spini4

Bluelighter
What Maryellen Stratmann heard at her youngest son’s freshman orientation a few weeks ago was music to the Springfield, Mo., mother’s ears: His Catholic high school would be conducting random drug testing on all students.

Her older son also has random drug testing at his public high school, but only for kids who participate in extracurricular activities. To Stratmann and her husband — both physicians who have worked in ERs and witnessed firsthand the effects of drug overdoses and other drug-related problems — the more testing the better.

“It might help identify a teen who needs help,” she reasons. “We also think it makes the campus a safer place, since drugs can interfere with an individual's ability to make good decisions.”

After two Supreme Court decisions upholding the constitutionality of random drug testing and an increase in funding by the Bush Administration to administer the urine tests, more schools across the nation are starting to consider this a feasible method to convey an anti-drug message. Many private schools are testing entire student bodies, and numerous public schools are testing students involved in extracurricular activities (e.g., sports, yearbook committees or even to obtain a parking pass).

Last year, a survey of superintendents by University of New Hampshire researchers published in the journal Education Law Reporter found that about 12 percent of school districts nationwide now drug test students. An additional 10 percent were considering adopting such policies. Parents can opt out, of course, but that means either their child won’t be able to attend the private school or won’t be allowed to participate in the public-school extracurriculars.

Yet, despite the growing popularity, many experts have misgivings.

“I’m a firm believer kids shouldn’t be using drugs, but I don’t think drug testing is giving people the information they think it is,” says Dr. Sharon Levy, director of the Adolescent Substance Abuse Program at Children’s Hospital Boston. “I hear people talk about drug testing as if it’s a pregnancy test. People think it’s the simplest thing — pee in a cup and run the test and it says yes or no.”

continued at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20631668/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/

Hints of 1984...

What a way to form a relationship with your kids. This is what lowers the respect of the child and the parent, pushing a wedge in between them. Rent a drug dog, and this bullshit. We are turning the ones who are supposed give a warm, communicative, and open environments to kids, into subsidiaries of law enforcement.

I'm glad I made it out of the school system (pre-university) when I did.

it's not high school if you can't get high

Haha. One of the credit recovery programs I was in during high school had a few dealers in it and they would often just do deals on the desks at school. It was a nice program, but it was just kinda funny cause it had all the druggies. Every month or so we'd be stuck in the classroom while dogs sniffed all our lockers, somehow we almost always knew it was going to happen beforehand though, rumors spread quick.

we have to make sure the kids in extracurriculars stay clean. because, you know, we can't have out future leaders opening the doors of perception

This is pointless. Children will just have to obtain someone else's clean urine just like adults do.

And if that isn't an option because someone is monitoring children urinating for the drug test, then that's going to open the door for pedophiles to work in public schools.

Not to mention that the drug tests they would be using wouldn't look for all drugs, nor would it be very effective for some drugs it looks for (as some are very quickly metabolized).

"it help identifies the teens that need help"

and sure they are doctors, and theyve seen drug overdoses
but, most high schoool kids are just smoking pot, which lasts the longest in your piss anyway

can you say FURTHER increased rate of suicide from scared kids who ALREADY DONT KNOW WHERE TO TURN?!

FUCK YOU FUCKING MOTHER FUCKERS

........sorry

i don't think the level of suicide rates would raise by any means with more drug testing,it seems abit brash, even for somebody in major depression to kill themselfs over a positive for drugs,

unless parental abuse was the culprit of their depression

i don't think the level of suicide rates would raise by any means with more drug testing,it seems abit brash, even for somebody in major depression to kill themselfs over a positive for drugs,

^yeah, exactly.. if you are that age and thinking about killing yourself, number one cause is usually in the home, number two is your peers

even if it is vise verse, your parents turning on you is HUGE

my dad gave me my first joint. and my doc gave me my first anti depressant.. when doc found out i was smoking, i got cut off, and when my dad found out I TOLD HIM that my dad was giving me pot, i got cut off both.. i was dead on the table within weeks

can you say FURTHER increased rate of suicide from scared kids who ALREADY DONT KNOW WHERE TO TURN?!

FUCK YOU FUCKING MOTHER FUCKERS

........sorry
don't be sorry, the emotion is quite warranted

it wouldn't be due to a positive test. it would be due to

A) chemical imbalance (withdrawal) when a person tests dirty and they are forced to stop their (self medicative?) drug
B) the reaction of the community/family/school when a person tests dirty
C) if drug testing *does* reduce drug access in some scenarios, this will severely fuck up anybody's life if they are currently addicted and trying to "maintain"