• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

'Born Illegal' -- Exploring the Powerful Advanced Psychedelics Invented by the Father

phr

Ex-Bluelighter
Surveying Alexander Shulgin's pioneering work with phenethylamine compounds, the ‘alchemy of medicinal chemistry,’ and the threat posed by the Federal Analogue Act.

By all accounts Anthony Reed was what you would have called a model citizen. In a very traditional sense, he was a hardworking young man looking at a very bright future. He attended an exclusive boarding school for gifted students, and after posting a near-perfect score on the ACT and a 3.7 GPA at Louisiana Tech University, he found himself wooed by graduate programs across the country. Rather than go straight to grad school, though, Reed felt it was his obligation to volunteer a portion of his most able-bodied years to what he called “the betterment of society.” He applied for an Americorps post and was quickly accepted and dispatched to the Berkshires in Massachusetts to begin work on a conservation project that helped maintain federally protected land.

In mid-April of this year, the 22-year old Reed took a well-deserved break and drove to the Wanee Music Festival in Live Oak, Florida. He brought with him gallons of homemade gumbo that he and a friend planned to give away, and three small doses of an obscure psychedelic compound known as “2C-I.” Each 10 mg dose was just enough for a stimulant effect, according to Reed, to keep him awake and dancing all night to Government Mule, Widespread Panic, and the Allman Brothers Band.

Reed was introduced to psychedelics sometime in his sophomore year of college, where he was very active on campus and maintained a high GPA, all the while choosing to smoke marijuana instead of doing “the typical college drinking thing.” He already knew marijuana was not the “evil, dangerous drug people portrayed it to be.”

“My experimentation with psychedelics came as a result of the same understanding I went through with marijuana... if I had been lied to my whole life about that, I figured I'd find out what else I was lied to about.”

Reed was interested in exploring psychedelics and researched a number of them on Erowid, the free and extensive internet archive of psychoactive substances that contains thousands of anonymous reports of the effects of various substances. After some basic experimentation with LSD, Reed came to many profound realizations that fundamentally changed his life and worldview.

“I feel like I got a boost of motivation and developed my own understanding of how I relate to the rest of the universe and what part I play in this world.”

He shared his experiences anonymously on Erowid, and soon began exploring more compounds, where he learned about the 2C drugs. He was looking for something that had the potential “to give me other perspectives I had not otherwise experienced on LSD.”

Reed first heard of 2C-I by reading the experience reports on Erowid, and the book PIHKAL, an archive of psychedelic compounds created by Dr. Alexander “Sasha” Shulgin, a former research chemist for Dow Chemical who is best known for introducing MDMA to psychedelic culture, and who was also the inventor of 2C-I. Reed felt he made an informed decision that 2C-I was safe to try. No deaths had ever been reported on the substance.

“It also had the benefit, so I thought, of keeping me out of trouble.”

Reed believed it was not against the law to possess 2C-I since it is an “unscheduled” compound, meaning it does not appear on the federal schedule (or ranking system) of Controlled Substances, nor is it explicitly made illegal in any known law. This makes it technically “not-illegal.” This distinction was critical to Reed, because he had worked too hard to jeopardize everything he had going for him to risk getting busted for possession of illegal drugs.

That measure of security would prove to be chimeric.

Expecting only 10,000 people, the festival was overwhelmed when three times that number flowed through the gates. In response, like flies to a bloated carcass, it also appears that a commensurate number of undercover police officers joined in. Word quickly began to circulate about the sheer number of cops among them, and the equally audacious number of people getting busted for what seemed like ultra-petty offenses like smoking pot.

Pot busts are extremely rare at major music festivals like this one, where smoking in the open is de rigeur. The conventional wisdom has been that these festivals provide safe containers for minor drug use, and the logistics of hauling out petty offenders to face misdemeanor busts was too cumbersome for zealous enforcement. Not so at Wanee, where it seemed like the police were out for blood (or at the very least, bank).

After the Allman Brothers set, Reed and two friends left the main stage and were hanging out together in a darker, quieter area of the festival grounds when a young man approached them and struck up a conversation. At gatherings like these, this is not at all out of character.

“We started talking about music we like, and he mentioned Phish and STS9. He started naming individual shows, like the Rothbury (Michigan) STS9 show in 2008, which we both agreed was amazing. We connected immediately.”

Appearing as if he might be fishing (or Phishing, as the case may be) for a hook-up, about a half hour later the stranger says, "It just sucks. I got some bunk tabs earlier. I wish I could find something here that wasn't fucking bunk. You guys know where to get any molly (MDMA)?" This too is not an unfamiliar practice at festivals, which, the police would argue, is why their presence is justified.

“I told him that I didn't have any molly, but I had this one 2C-I pill left. He seemed curious so I explained to him what it was. He begged me to let him buy it, so I let him have it. He offered me ten dollars for it. I shrugged and took it. As soon as that happened, BAM! He grabbed my arm, and told me that I had sold to an undercover.”

Reed maintained a level head though, did not struggle, and pleaded his innocence while remaining calm and avoiding the stupid kinds of self incrimination most fall into once confronted by police. He informed the undercover and his Sergeant that the substance they took from him was not illegal. They were having none of it. They charged him with “sale of MDMA” and “possession of MDMA with intent to distribute.” In other words, they not only set him up, and got the charge wrong, but they called him a drug dealer too.

“I told the undercover the charges wouldn’t stick,” Reed said.

He also claims the Sergeant told the undercover that he could let Reed go, and that the only way Reed might have broken the law is if he sold the 2C-I in “lieu of MDMA” as if he tried to pass it off as MDMA.”

“That’s exactly what he did,” the undercover told his superior.

Reed was incensed, and protested, but they laughed him off. It was only the beginning. He must have felt like he was in an alternate universe when the police later informed him that his 2C-I “field tested positive for MDMA.”

Whether this was true, or whether it was simply a charge that would stick, the net result was that Reed, the ostensibly well-read, law-abiding, volunteer civil servant, was now facing a felony bust, and the end of that promising future.

Link!

'Born Illegal' -- Exploring the Powerful Advanced Psychedelics Invented by the Father of Ecstasy
Charles Snow
AlterNet

Click the link to read the rest of the article, which I found interesting even though I'm not into that particular class of drugs :)

That's BS. I wonder how much tax payer money it cost to (potentially) ruin this guys life for a tab of 2C-I?. At least it seems he has a chance to beat the wrap though. I hope to hear a followup on this story.

^From what i've read they dropped the charge of possession of MDMA and changed it to "sale of a counterfeit controlled substance." Maybe he can eventually get this expunged, or sealed.

Yet another depressing story of gov't repression. But its promising, if you look at the comments--they're all unanimous in saying that this arrest and conviction was WRONG. Granted there are a lot of lefties at the site, but... not ONE comment disparaging drugs / drug users? Outstanding. People are waking up.

Law enforcement--go ahead and keep busting promising kids for piddling amounts of piddling substances like the 2Cs. Every time a story like this gets published, hundreds more turn against the war on drugs. America was founded on the principles of free exercise of religion and the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. As Terence McKenna once said, if that doesn't include the right to alter one's own consciousness, then the declaration of independence isn't worth the hemp it was drafted on.

^From what i've read they dropped the charge of possession of MDMA and changed it to "sale of a counterfeit controlled substance." Maybe he can eventually get this expunged, or sealed.

He should never have copped to either one. If the story he told in the article is true, he not only made it clear that he wasn't giving the kid MDMA, he went so far as to have a whole discussion about 2C-I, the law, its effects, etc.

You come to my house and ask me for a cup of sugar. I say, "sorry neighbor, I don't have any sugar, but I do have stevia extract."
"Stevia extract?" asks the neighbor, "What's that?"
"Its a no-calorie sweetener, made from the stevia plant. You want to try it out?

Who would call that sale of counterfeit sugar?

Attention all pigs. This is why people hate you.

Haters gonna hate, the world still spins.

There won't be some big revolution, just be realistic and safe. The tipping point always comes to where most people are going to be disgusted and then shit their pants laughing about how such a modern country handles these evil Christ-destroying, immoral DRUGS!

Thank fuck that in the UK, despite extensive drug abuse laws, the police are forbidden from using entrapment techniques in arrests

^ Was thinking exactly the same thing. The police can be pricks but what they did to that poor fella is just downright wrong and thank fuck they wouldn't get away with it here.

It is now six months later, and Anthony Reed is serving 24 months on felony probation. Although the MDMA charges were eventually dropped when the lab’s toxicology test confirmed he was in possession of an “unscheduled compound,” since Florida does not have an Analogue law, he was convicted of (get this) "sale of a counterfeit controlled substance." That’s like getting a felony for selling someone a dime bag of drywall. He has lost his Americorps post. He can no longer apply to graduate school because his conviction made him ineligible for financial aid, and he can no longer go to medical school ever because he has a drug conviction.

Two years probation and a life ruined for being coerced into not selling an illegal drug. Disgusting barely covers it :|

They are mad (or maybe even too dumb at that level to know) that they are compensating for a market that is too modern and implastic to ever capture by charging some guy for a hit.

Thankfully a war on drugs times ten at this point (time to borrow some more magic play money!!) would still do jack fucking shit.

You are sitting on a computer looking at this post right now, that is the catalyst to freedom! Thankfully most people in any branch of the government, including the fourth, know how to use a computer like a fucking idiot lol. Don't believe anything you see on the internet, so move along!

^ Was thinking exactly the same thing. The police can be pricks but what they did to that poor fella is just downright wrong and thank fuck they wouldn't get away with it here.

Two years probation and a life ruined for being coerced into not selling an illegal drug. Disgusting barely covers it :|

Normally the sort of thing I would find disgusting behaviour, but if ever anyone deserved spiking with acid, it's that undercover for entraping him then lying about what actually happened, ruining his life

yup, that's florida, home of the worst drug laws in the u.s.
live oak/suwannee county cops are especially aggressive. not too long ago they had the swat team at a benefit concert for a guy who was hurt really bad in a motorcycle accident. wouldn't go to a concert (or any other gathering) there if tickets were free.
damn i am so glad i'm moving away from this friggin' swamp soon.
-izzy

I wonder if the undercover is a brainwashed idiot, a psychopath or maybe both..

That's complete bullshit. Ihope that guy gets a lawyer and doesn't get charged with anythi at all. becuz technically he can't.. He didn't even tell the cop to ingest the 2ci -- he just sold it to him which is still, but hardly technically legal

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???
No way

Good read.
Now I know to record myself when I sell 2C-I to an undercover looking for MDMA. Or to just give it away and not take cash in exchange for it...
Hope this guy gets some fair justice for a change. Also hope the undercover has a miserable life.

That's complete bullshit. Ihope that guy gets a lawyer and doesn't get charged with anythi at all. becuz technically he can't.. He didn't even tell the cop to ingest the 2ci -- he just sold it to him which is still, but hardly technically legal

Read the bottom of the article. It wraps up with saying where he is today. He got pretty fucked.