• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Is 1984 a worthy adaptation?

TheDeceased

Ex-Bluelighter
I'm reading Orwell's 1984 and it's blowing me away (my new favorite novel), but I don't see how it could possibly be translated into film...

I love John Hurt and I'm tempted to watch it anyway.

Bluelighters who have read the book:

Is it worthy? / Should I bother?

The movie is nowhere near as good as the book, but it is ok. Very few movies are as good as the book. You will essentially already know what is going to happen next, I haven't seen the movie or read the book in years but from what I remember the movie did not diverge from the book at all.

1984 joke: (in spoilers just in case it gives too much away)

NSFW:
Despite all my rage I've still got a rat in my cage

Kinda dumb, I know, but I still found it funny.

in common with many adaptations, there is plenty missing from the movie. that said, i think that the movie captured the feel of the book really well. john hurt is one of my favourite actors and i think he was perfectly cast as smith. richard burton brings appropriate gravitas as o'brien.

if you choose to watch it, i'll be interested to hear your review.

alasdair

Absolutely. I expected the film to fall short of the book, as films usually do, but they really captured the grittiness and tension Orwell's Oceania, and the drudgery, fanaticism, and paranoia of its citizens. John Hurt does an excellent Job as Winston Smith. Its one of the very few movies adaptations I've seen where the movie looked almost identical to how I imagined it while reading the book.

There are no important plot deviations (that I remember) and they don't cut out many signifgant parts of the story at all. Even much of the script is word-for-word from the book, but doesn't sound at all artificial. I would definitely watch this.

finish the book first. for the love of all that is holy, heed these words.

brilliant book. it's been a while since i've seen the film, but recall that it is okay. really, though, how do you adapt that story?

I really enjoyed the film adaptation. It is not as good as the book, of course, but it is certainly worth watching.

I've read 1984 but not seen the film. I'm not sure exactly how, but the story line isn't all too abstract...it seems plausible to make it a film adaptation, it would just need a little artistic flare of showing events going on in parallel I think. Maybe I'll try to stumble into the film version sometime soon after seeing this thread...

^ the story timeline in 1984 is pretty linear.

alasdair

^ the story timeline in 1984 is pretty linear.

alasdair
'

Yes it is, I guess by parallel I meant showing thoughts of different characters at the same time, not so much that the story line itself isn't linear (and therefore logical).

Book>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>movie, great book

I always wondered what gave orwell the inspiration to write that book. My guess would be English bureaucracy. Does anyone know?

Seeing that is was written in 1948 its not difficult to understand where he was coming from.

This thread inspired me to watch the film tonight. It was pretty good, but I wasnt expecting it to be on par with the book which it isnt imo.

The movie is decent... thanks to an amazing performance from John Hurt.

I liked the film, it's atmosphere is pretty much spot-on. I think if Hollywood adapted it they'd make some futuristic nonsense out of it, make it all effects and no plot (and they'd probably cast Shia Lebouf as Winston or something). But this one, they got it right on, really sparse and grim atmosphere and good acting from John Hurt too, he's good in almost everything I've seen him in.

only book that i've read twice but i haven't seen the movie. i am now inspired to see it soon though.

The bedroom scenes are just beautiful. The love flows and how they take pleasure in life's simplicities is outstanding.

watch brazil instead hehe
the 1984 film is not perfect but is great at capturing the feel of the book at times

watch brazil instead hehe
the 1984 film is not perfect but is great at capturing the feel of the book at times

I hated Brazil. It was a total ripoff of 1984, down to the dream sequence at the end. How it received so much praise is beyond me. It was plagiarism.

it was gilliam's interpretation of 1984 and never claimed to be anything else...