Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Study finds date-rape drug use low

Dragynfyr

Bluelighter
Study finds date-rape drug use low
Thursday, September 30, 2010
By DOUGLAS QUAN, Postmedia News

Don't accept drinks from strangers and never leave drinks unattended.

It's a warning young people have heard for years, and one that was recently reinforced by police in B.C. following the suspected gang rape of a girl, 16, at a rave party.

But the actual threat of drink spiking using so-called "date-rape drugs" appears to be very low, according to a recent Canadian study.

In fact, there were only two positive findings of GHB and none for Rohypnol. And in one of the two GHB cases, the patient reported voluntarily taking the substance.

Studies out of Britain and Australia have made similar findings, calling drink tampering and the use of date-rape drugs to commit sexual assaults "uncommon" and a "very limited threat."

http://www.montrealgazette.com/mobile/iphone/story.html?id=3601407

i like this article albeit a short one its truth. ive always thought the prevalance of date rape drugs was just blown out of proportion by the media so as to create hysteria and demonize said drugs. in case you twits in the media havent noticed theres already a date rape drug that people have legally been using for hundreds of years alcohol. how many people have witnessed skeevy guys trying to take advantage of girls that are way to inebriated. how many dudes have gotten to wasted and took home a dog to bed. but no one ever calls booze a date rape drug god for bid that. the truth is any drug that has affinity for gaba recpeptors has the potential to be a date rape drug. dur hur motherfuckin hur.

id honestly loove to see a debate between media scaremongers,conservatives supporters of the drug prohibition and the people on bluelight. our rebuttals would make them look so stupid

Seriously, date-rape drugging is at a low for various reasons, but the biggest reason is that they were never all that prevalent. Who needs to leave an obvious paper trail by spiking some poor woman/man's drank when you can just buy them another drink or five. Seriously, in my college experience, I have witnessed, and stopped on a few occasions, a number of situations meeting my criteria for date rape. My anecdotal experience has been only once was ghb/bl/1,4 suspected, while the rest involved pressured alcohol consumption, while they predator lurked in wait for victim to loose enough control to be easily taken advantage of.

Honestly, you would have to go through a lot of trouble to produce potassium GHB, I mean, I'm no chemistry genius, but if you can convert NA GHB to K GHB, it certainly isn't as easy as producing it from GBL. One would have to use Potassium GHB, as Sodium GHB would be way to noticeable. Most of the benzos aren't strong enough to put someone under. The ones that are, aren't easily available. I honestly cannot imagine someone regularly using NMDA receptor antagonist, as the consistency would vary so much. Say they used ketamine, how would they plan movement of victim from point A(bar, party, club, etc.) to point B(at shortest bathroom, room upstairs, car, apartment) with out someone noticing, I mean they would have to be very familiar with oral ketamine effects. They'd have to be able to calculate weight and height based dosage; they'd have to know how long the various effect stages take and last, which would require knowledge of subjects (sorry I meant victim) stomach contents; they would be presuming the victim did not have a tolerance, natural or other, to the effects, and they would either have to be intimately familiar with various other variables, or just leave them to presumption. Again, way easier to just keep buying victim rounds, and then pouncing. In retrospect, this post is pretty creepy, and I hesitate to submit it, but I wasted valuable study time writing it, so here goes.

It's a similar phenom to 'pharm parties'. Media invented crap for the most part (though there are examples of actual use of benzo's and other downers as date rape drugs, I get the feeling most of this came as a response to the media coverage, not preceding it).

Lots of American cop shows use date rape drugs in their plots. 'Rohypnol' is usually the culprit, even though it isn't produced in the US, most foreign supplies of actual roofies are in fact Diazepam (such as Mexico) etc.

Similar studies all over the world have had similar findings over the years. I know the one done here by the emergency department at St Vincents Hospital found that people who presented at the ER claiming their drinks had been spiked were usually suffering nothing more complex than alcohol poisoning. I guess people have trouble believing that alcohol alone can impair them to such an extent.

I thought that the whole reason why Rohypnol was regarded as an ideal "date rape" drug was its capacity to induce retrograde amnesia rather than to knock someone out - kind of like the drugs used for some uncomfortable medical procedures where the patient is actually awake during the procedure but remembers nothing later.

Last edited:
in case you twits in the media havent noticed theres already a date rape drug that people have legally been using for hundreds of years alcohol. how many people have witnessed skeevy guys trying to take advantage of girls that are way to inebriated. how many dudes have gotten to wasted and took home a dog to bed. but no one ever calls booze a date rape drug god for bid that.

dude none of that is rape

what is it with bluelighters demonizing booze?

Seep, when you purposefully feed a woman drugs (alchohol), then once you are easily able to take advantage of her, you take her home and have sex with her, that meets the criteria for rape. The same way having sex with someone too young to know any better is rape. The same way drugging someone purposefully and having sex with them is rape, oh wait I already said that.

Ofc use is low, because it's impractical. If I were to rape an unconsenting victim, I'd go for alcohol, hands down. Some of the reasons? It's socially acceptable, thus you don't have to convince her to take it, and you don't need to give it without her knowing. It's cheap. It's easy to find. It's got a great possibility of causing anterograde amnesia, so no risk of charges. It's got a great possibility of making the victim WANT to have sex, it's no secret to anyone that a lot of girls get very horny when drunk.

And I'm not one of those butthurt potheads that hates alcohol because it's legal and pot isn't. I enjoy alcohol. But it's a FACT that the best and most practical date-rape drug would be alcohol.

Seep, when you purposefully feed a woman drugs (alchohol), then once you are easily able to take advantage of her, you take her home and have sex with her, that meets the criteria for rape.

Obviously we're not talking about hog-tying someone and funneling Ketel One down their throat so,

If she's passed out then definitely yeah, cuz she can't possibly assent to the sex. But in this thread people are saying that if she's drunk and horny then it's automatically rape. I think that's too broad a definition. Even the media doesn't go that far.

Obviously we're not talking about hog-tying someone and funneling Ketel One down their throat so,

If she's passed out then definitely yeah, cuz she can't possibly assent to the sex. But in this thread people are saying that if she's drunk and horny then it's automatically rape. I think that's too broad a definition. Even the media doesn't go that far.

the media would never crucify alcohol like that. only mean ol' "drugs" could possibly lower a person to do such things

ps, in the beginnings of an old relationship I made excellent Ketel One cosmos for her and her friend, and all I got was a nekked shower with a little tuggage =p

Shoulda brought more rope

Don't even get me started on this subject. People always take a good drug and fuck it up one way or another. I miss the days when I could get bags full of rohypnol and pay next to nothing for them. All I ever used them for was good sleep. This shit has been going on forever and everytime a good drug comes out too many people do stupid shit and ruin what was something good for the rest of us.

btw the prototypical date rape drug is chloral hydrate, but it doesn't get mentioned much in the media.

I tried to find Mickey Finn's old bar the last time I was in Chicago but I was too stoned and kept ending up on a different level of the city (driving through downtown Chicago on weed is like playing Super Mario Bros.) Does anyone know if it still exists?

I think the claims of GHB/date rape or whatever is motivated by:

Someone spiked your drink, you are now absolved of responsibility
-vs-
You drank too much, your own fault (oh she got horny, etc, whatever)

Its a touchy subject, I am not a big fan of alcohol and honestly, the prospect of having sex with a blacked out hottie is not that appealing. (I am not often drunk so I can't really just say well I am drunk too lol)

I would also point out, if the person is stupid enough to get that drunk, they may be stupid enough to call the police the next morning in some sort of hangover/regret headspace. Do yourself a favor, have sex with conscious people lol