• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo withdrawal vs heroin withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luij

Greenlighter
I was just reading a thread with the same title on a benzo board that supports people who are coming off benzos since I'm weaning off of Clonazepam.

People are saying that coming off benzos is far worse than coming off of heroin and coke at the same time. Here's one quote from that thread: "Benzo withdrawal is the worst by a long long long shot, theres nothing else like it that could even come close."

I never had to come off of heroin or other drugs but I somehow find that hard to believe.

that's the consensus. I have never withdrawn from benzos but opiate withdrawal is hell.

i have two friends who have withdrawn from both and they both said xanax was the worst. One even said hed rather do a huge opiate kick than the medium benzo kick he had done before. I think what makes it so bad is that it messes your mind up way harder than opiates. It sounds pretty much like a constant panic attack and feeling like youre going crazy.

I once snorted 3mg of xanax a night for about 30 days. I have a naturally low benzo tolerance, so 3mg made it so I could barely walk.

when it ran out, I thought nothing of it. I have always been more take it or leave it with benzo's, as opposed to opiates where i have a horrid psychological addiction.

But within a few hours the next night of missing my dose I began to get EXTREME anxiety, on the verge of having a panic attack, and felt my heart race in my chest. It hit me like a bus, and within 10 mins I went from normal to wicked benzo WD's. I also began to have hallucinations - I heard people screaming and slamming doors when there were no people. I couldn't look at my computer because the lights were overstimulating and causing me to panic, so I lay in bed. Yet, strangely, I slept for about 5 hours after that. i found sleep much easier when i was in benzo withdrawal than opiate withdrawal.

The next two days I actually went to school, even though I saw little patterns form on the walls and couldn't bare a simple verbal exchange without the fear of going into a panic attack. the anxiety was extreme, but I didn't feel the awful depression I feel with opiate withdrawal.

On day 3, I had a grand mal seizure and was hospitalized. The seizure seemed to release all the pent up WD energy, and after I woke up I found that I was no longer in benzo WD.

My benzo withdrawal was surely nothing compared to people who have been on benzo's for years at much higher doses.

but from what I experienced, even with the seizure, I have found opiate withdrawal to be far more uncomfortable than benzo withdrawal. but benzo withdrawal is clearly more dangerous.

I don't know if it makes a difference if you go off cold turkey or if you taper off of benzos but so far I haven't really experienced too much while weaning off other than a slight headache for a couple of days after each cut and some mild nervousness(like having had too much coffee).
I've been on Klon for 6 years but on a really low dose.

Ive WD'd from opioids like IV Heroin, morphine, Methadone and truth be told its awfull.. really ugly.
But Bensos is a different ballgame.. ive used bensos for a loong time with and without opioids, I could chew bensos for a year and just cut them CT
but i never got withdrawal symptoms of them... that was until this summer.

Had been using a lot of clonazepam for maybe 9 months to a year, I were rushed to the emergency one day and were in the ICU for ~3-4 weeks and got IV bensos at the time.
Then I got moved to a infection ward and they cut ALL benso's off - just gave me 10mg of Oxazepam per day.

The same day i started hallucinating big time, visual shit and hearing shit.
I didn't even catch on but I was suffering full blown Delirium with extreme paranoia.
Saw people in the corners, behind the curtain, coming in from the windows, they installed cameras in my room etc. Locked myself in my restroom 100% believing people and some of the staff were out to abduct me.

Im a 30 year something adult male and I begged one of the 'trusted nurses' to look under my bed for people hiding... It was pure psycological hell.
I can't even describe with words how it felt - only people who have suffered the same thing know the intensify and how helpless you feel and how much it hurts.
I didn't sleep for like 4-5 days, was a mental wreck and finaly i just layd in my bed, twitching, shaking.

Then an addiction speciallist came to see me and he instantly recognised the signs - you are suffering from Bensodiazepine withdrawal and gave me medication.
And as soon as the medication started working everything became SO VERY clear.. the most freeing and amazing feeling. I even started crying tears of joy.

Done both. Benzos are far worse IMO. The long taper and then it still takes another 6 months to stop vibrating.

yea benzo withdrawal can last longer than a month, depending on your habit.......alcohol withdrawal is also very similar.

I was just reading a thread with the same title on a benzo board that supports people who are coming off benzos since I'm weaning off of Clonazepam.

People are saying that coming off benzos is far worse than coming off of heroin and coke at the same time. Here's one quote from that thread: "Benzo withdrawal is the worst by a long long long shot, theres nothing else like it that could even come close."

I never had to come off of heroin or other drugs but I somehow find that hard to believe.

It may be hard to believe, but yes it is true. Alcohol and benos like Xanax are the only drugs where the withdrawal from them can actually kill you.

I have only WD"d off opiates, never benzos so I can not compare them, all I can say is as bad as opiate withdrawal is, it can't actually kill you, but xanax and alcohol can.

Ive WD'd from opioids like IV Heroin, morphine, Methadone and truth be told its awfull.. really ugly.
But Bensos is a different ballgame.. ive used bensos for a loong time with and without opioids, I could chew bensos for a year and just cut them CT
but i never got withdrawal symptoms of them... that was until this summer.

Had been using a lot of clonazepam for maybe 9 months to a year, I were rushed to the emergency one day and were in the ICU for ~3-4 weeks and got IV bensos at the time.
Then I got moved to a infection ward and they cut ALL benso's off - just gave me 10mg of Oxazepam per day.

The same day i started hallucinating big time, visual shit and hearing shit.
I didn't even catch on but I was suffering full blown Delirium with extreme paranoia.
Saw people in the corners, behind the curtain, coming in from the windows, they installed cameras in my room etc. Locked myself in my restroom 100% believing people and some of the staff were out to abduct me.

Im a 30 year something adult male and I begged one of the 'trusted nurses' to look under my bed for people hiding... It was pure psycological hell.
I can't even describe with words how it felt - only people who have suffered the same thing know the intensify and how helpless you feel and how much it hurts.
I didn't sleep for like 4-5 days, was a mental wreck and finaly i just layd in my bed, twitching, shaking.

Then an addiction speciallist came to see me and he instantly recognised the signs - you are suffering from Bensodiazepine withdrawal and gave me medication.
And as soon as the medication started working everything became SO VERY clear.. the most freeing and amazing feeling. I even started crying tears of joy.

That is kind of scary that the hospital left you like that for 4-5 days and didn't realize what was going on.... Did you not realize you were withdrawing either? I would have been crying my head off for some kind of relief.

ive done both.

heroin is worse, stomach pain and that sort of thing

benzos, xanax for me, was alot of hallucinations and swollen face and shaking, more mentally straining.

Status
Not open for further replies.