(answered) Getting - 400 Bad Request with a relatively large response to a post

Apostacious

Bluelighter
I have been having issues with posting a 2338 character long response to a post in the Philosophy and Spirituality Forum. The error message I get is this:
Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

I use Google Chrome and Windows XP. If there is a way to circumvent this, I would be glad.

I think the first thing is to try to post the first third. If it goes through continue with another chunk. Then another. It could be special characters used close together are causing problem. / " >< and especially brackets []{} can be the problems.

Here is a recent related thread > http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=522929

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried that, and I can't get very far in the second post. It also prevents me from making a third post.

Are you noticing any characters that might be the problem? You may try chopping the post into smaller posts in testing grounds to see if you can find the specific text or characters that are causing the problem.

I found the word bluelight doesn't like, it has coal in it and what sounds like the first syllable of essence. Thank you Enki.

To be more accurate, I used the word "coalescing" with ing replaced by e.

Last edited:
let me have a go...

BAD REQUEST

very strange indeed.. i wonder why vbulletin chokes on that

well it seems that COALESC+E is an SQL funtion which returns the first non-NULL expression among its arguments.

I wonder what other SQL functions vbulletin won't let you put in a post. hmmm

subst+r also causes an error 400.. all the other built in mysql statements go through no problems.. i wonder why these fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, watson's got it right. there are some SQL calls that are disallowed because of security concerns. i could post a list of 'reserved words' but then i'd have to kill you all. ;)

but seriously, i know it sucks.

If the admins/engineers want to sort this bug (once the software is definitely not vunerable) look into the mod_security settings under apache2 on the webserver. Thats where you'll find all the answers.

Hey chr1.5 :) Yeah we've left some of the mod_security rules on, just as a precaution.

I'm getting 'bad request' in an unusual way the last couple days. It happened with a post that actually posted in spite of getting the bad request screen and I got bad request going to my PM box. I'm assuming this is just a transitory glitch as happens from time to time on computers & servers, but decided to post about it in case it has some significance to the team taking care of such things. Thanks :)