• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiates and weight gain?

TheTuneOfTurbo

Bluelighter
Okay so I've got something I want to get cleared up. There's 2 or 3 people I know who used to be in shape/skinny. After about 2 years of them being addicted they've gained A LOT of weight, more weight the worse their addiction got. You would usually tend to think that when someone's getting strung out on drugs that they loose weight. Well I've heard that opiates constrict your muscles from working properly hence the weight gain. I personally don't just take someone's word on ANYTHING. But I started getting more curious when I've noticed quite a few OC addicts around getting fat. Any bluelighters have any insight on this? Thanks, -T

ya thats weird, I was hooked on ocs for a few years and I literally dropped from 185 to 145. On the other hand, I have a friend who was the way your talking about and went from like 180 to 240... I guess some people like me prefer to keep the high and never eat and some people get retarded and munch everything in sight... it just depends on which one you are

Some gain from eating shitloads of carbs/sugar(which your brain is basically screaming out for while on opiates), some just stay nodded out all day and/or spend every dime on drugs and not food. The only positive to WD'ing, imo, is that I will not eat a thing for 3 days and lose 10 pounds that I do not ptut back on,,,

when I was younger and on pills and dope I was between 195 and 230. When I quit shot up to 240,then 250,then finally settled on 280. My getting clean also coincided with the start of my current long term relationship. So maybe it had to do with all the meals my GF cooks? Either way being (relatively)clean is awesome but I could do with out being a fat ass.

people get strung out and stop taking care of themselves. they eat junk food all day and lay around. they bloat out and get fat.

Why does the body/mind seem to crave junk food more when using opiates?

I've always found myself eating more fast food and craving fluids and foods with high sugar content. Is there a biological reason for this (perhaps changes in blood sugar levels)? Or is it simply the mind associating being high with the endorphins released when consuming such foods as already suggested?

At the beginning of my heroin addiction I gained weight because it gave me the munchies and I would eat massive amounts of high fat/high carb foods constantly. But as things progressively got worse, I began to lose weight because I would only eat if I was high (dopesick=no appetite), but even while high I would eat very little because I was so constipated all the time. So it kinda fluctuated.
Some people gain, some people lose, or in my case, both.

in my experience guys with opiate addictions lose weight and girls gain weight. Idk why. I went from 170 to 135 from opiate use and my ex gf went from like 110 to like 180 (not even joking)

Yeah I get the whole part of people munching out when being high on opiates. But the people I know who have gained a lot of weight don't ever eat that much. I mean they do anywhere from 5 to 10 OC80s a day. One of them is a female, one is a male. I've also heard that in the beginning of people's opiate abuse they will loose weight, but they loose weight in muscle mass, then the longer/more they do the opiates the abuse of the drug will constrict the muscles (they have left) from working (burning fat). Is this right? Or is there another legit explanation?

waswwa

I notice wanting to eat lots of candy when I am on opiates. There's even a group of my older friends that make jokes about heroin addicts and eating candy. I have no idea if there's any truth to this.

As for overall weight, I lost weight while on opiates. When I was abusing coke I gained weight.

Why junkfood?

Dopamines.../Serontonin.. Release , ..Hugs work the same , scientifically that is.. I can personally say opiates are a love drug..

Except they tend to uh , make it incredibly hard to climax...

As far as weight gain , depends what your ROA ..

Smokers of Oxy tend to vommit when they get near the smoke , heaviest users I know still have the mindset to puke right before they get down...

But yeah , all junkies I know survive off of licorice and other sugar..

Ive lived off fro-yo for the past year..and s3elected candy..

But I used meth in my kick this time , lost weight..Which meth has never done to me before..

But everytime I would get some days of clarity in , I would gain a pound or 6...

Ironically, I would eat bags of Twizzlers.

I agree that opiates are a love drug but they do hinder finishing.

I've had three friends quit heavy opiate abuse through the of Meth. I actually was able to do the same even though I wasn't trying to quit and basically relapsed a week later.

Indeed.. Even a tad bit more alarming , is the familiarity of your speak in your post , maybe its a SoCal thing?

Close proximities can be useful..

Email me ? questionablyinterested@ yahoo

It can only benefit us both ... :)

Maybe it is a SoCal thing. We are a breed unto ourselves.

Email sent. We've ironically spoken before through email.

Well the anticipation is killing me.. No chimes blowing up here ,

Did you copy and paste it..because I intentionally left a blank after the @ before yahoo , assuming it wouldnt post and not wanting to edit..

2nd times the charm [email protected]

!!

I did not copy and paste but my inbox is going off so I am assuming that's you responding as I don't use that email address for anything but limited things.

for me when I get high it makes me eat a lot of food. because during the day before I score I will be in WD so I don't eat all day or possibly for a couple days if I don't have money so when I finally score and am able to eat I eat a bunch in one sitting while I am high. Plus its easy for addiction to also cause depression so people may eat a lot because of that or may also get on AD meds which can cause weight gain.

I know when I was using opiates (for almost a decade) I would eat anything that was around. I didnt do shit so I got no exercise. I didnt budget for food. It all went to drugs. If there was no food I wouldnt eat. At least I was high though. At that point I didnt care...

I haven't noticed really any gain or loss but rather a huge decrease in my daily caloric intake which used to be 3000+ cals a day and is now around 1000 if that. Money isn't really an issue I'm just never hungry anymore/food doesn't seem appealing. It's kind of a bummer cause I think it's one of the reasons i feel crappy all the time even though i've got a constant supply of opiates.

Hey socal people, let's all visit the needle exchange in Hollywood and grab a burger!

See you there Sunday!

:)

Maybe a Bluelight special? Oh wait that's blue PLATE...