(answered) Server Error in SO & CE&P

Kenickie

Bluelight Crew
Every time I try to reply to a thread in CE&P or SO, I get "you have requested an action this server doesn't understand." I can open a reply window, etc, but I can't post my reply. I've tried two or three threads in each forum but same response for each one. I haven't had this problem in The Lounge. Firefox problem? Anyone else experience this?

Is it server error 406? From the BL Support FAQ

FAQ said:
I am getting an Error 406

This error means that the server has rejected your request because of its contents. The explanation for this is technical: some sequences of characters and commands are often used by hackers to exploit security problems in software. Therefore, our firewall inspects all page requests to check for possible hacks. This can be compared to a virus scanner. It could be that your post contains some "dangerous" characters. See if your post contains any weird characters or punctuation which could be the problem, and try submitting it again.

The most common reason for this is the use of brackets/parentheses. And the use of the word 'system'. And especially both together. Try copying your whole post to Notepad, and then pasting/submitting it a chunk at a time into Bluelight. That usually highlights the suspected terrorist part of your post.

nope -- i cleared my cookie cache and i'm still getting this
2cghbup.png

I deleted my first response because when I read your post i didn't notice that it is only when posting you are having a problem. Someone else had this problem lately and I'll see if I can find the thread.

resstarted computer and tried on Safari, still the same message, and ONLY in CE&P and SO.

wtf?

I think this is going to take an admin looking at your acct. They will tell you it won't hurt a bit. They lie;)

I think I'll google to see if I can figure out what is going on but I don't think it is likely either of us will solve it. Still might be a temporary glitch though.

i'll see if RedLeader is online and can look at what's going on...freaking annoying, I've been trying to reply to the racism thread in CE&P since I got up this morning to deal with the reported posts...

freaking annoying, especially when the text I saved in the word document is 6 pages long! 8(

Kenickie said:
especially when the text I saved in the word document is 6 pages long!
Then it is most likely that this is the modern version of error 406. Some combination of characters in your post is likely causing the server to think it is a problem OR perhaps it is longer than the limit of characters allowed. I thought you could not post anything, if it is a specific post it is almost for sure a server problem with content or length.

That also makes MazDan correct in Jude101's thread.T he problem in diagnosis being that 406 isn't called 406 since an upgrade perhaps? Sorry about having you dump cookies & cache etc. I should have asked better questions & read more thoroughly.

Examine your post, first try removing special characters like # and /. Try chopping the post up into halves see if the first half makes it. Troubleshooting in that fashion will enable you to get it posted eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
i broke it up into 3 posts and that seemed to fix it.

i guess excess amounts of quote tags fuck shit up.

Glad you were able to solve it :) Definitely a length issue, from the way it sounds. I'm going to remove the "admin attention" from the thread title, since its been solved.

Aye, length is an issue (10k character limit per post, I believe) and even I've had issues where too many quotes screw up the ability to post a reply :\ Something like this is rarely anything account related. More often than not, it's related to the content of the reply, and it can become a serious pain in the ass to try and drill down and find the offending string of characters - especially when you can break it into 2-3 replies and it works find. :!

I had a similar problem a week ago with a normal-sized message but I seemed to use too many special characters like <>/&[]. We may have to look at the security rules again if this is starting to become a major problem, but for now, TLB's advice is sound.