• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Why do we have government?

rm-rf

Bluelight Crew
(I thought about this when I was thinking about certain aspects of substance legalization. Once again, this is long, but please dont respond without reading it in its entirety.)
Why do human beings need to have a government? If I were personally asked this question, I would respond with many Biblical references about how mankind is merely mimicing and emulating observed behavior and that the need for government is merely an illusion. Thats just my extremely opinionated opinion. I believe that the human instinct to create a form of government is merely the desire to have an authorotative figure to make rules and limitations for society. Sort of a subconscious-laziness. Personally, I view government like a baby sucking its thumb: its always been there and weve always had it, its almost impossible to just get rid of it without a painful 'weening' process. On to the topic...
I believe government does not need to exist. I believe that it is both the result of humanity's laziness and desire to have subconscious authoraties, much like in the way a child 'needs' a parent. (JUST AN EXAMPLE-not the topic at debate -> ) Government produces nasty things like wars (which include innocent participants) and prisoners (which are just victims of the government, in a way). Anyways, Ill look through two common world views to prove my point. Im thinking on a very fundamental level with this, but complexity starts with fundamentals.
Religious (and even to say Spiritual type) world view:
Do religious believers need government at all? For an example I will discuss the manner with wich Christian government evolved (in a very fundamental way).
The followers of the entity known as "God" needed no government. God gave very basic rules, which pretty much stated 'just be nice to each other and gimme respect and life on earth will flow smooth.' But, as we all know, we are prone to societal emulations. Neighboring civilizations had 'governments.' They had kings. The followers of the entity known as 'God' said, 'God, all those guys have kings! Can we have one to?' God said, 'Na beatches, im yo king!' They replied, 'To damn bad, were gonna make one.' So began the enslavement of humanity to government. God tried to help the people make it easy by picking their kings and such for them, but nope, the followers of the entity known as 'God' chose to do it like everyone else. God tried one last attempt to simplify life for everone on earth, he sent the entity known as Jesus, an incarnation of himself, to tell the people that the only rule we really need is 'Love your neighbor as yourself. Do onto others as you would have them do to you. This sums up all law.' People still rejected this simple, easy method of living and chose to delve forever into the infinite and endless evolution of what we call Government. Other religions follow a similiar pattern. Just about every world religion has a very VERY basic set of rules for the individuals to follow, making government by man completely worthless. Basically, if we follow a fundamental rule of 'live and let live' we dont need government.
An athiest view:
Why should government exist? Government is the result of millenia of religious control, and only exists today because it has so for centuries. It has evolved to a much more mature state, and will continue to evolve into a perfect form. This perfect form may simply be, human beings getting along simply because the invert is useless. We as singular beings are but a moment in the body that is our race's never-ending evolution, why not skip to that moment of perfect government, when we all just 'get along' for the benefit of our race. Our inefficient way of governing ourselves has slowed our evolution in some ways. The increase in certain areas of our evolution is due to governmentational (or societal) focus on that area (ie - intellectual expansion). But what are the limitations put on that expansion without the presence of a governing force? Aside from contributing to further evolution through reproduction, what else is the purpose of our existence? Does government need to exist, or does it exist because of behavoiral emulation?
My own thoughts are that government does not need to exist, and that for the most part, it just gets in the way. THe human population is far, far to large for universal rules to be set. Think of something liek this: what is the goal of a government? Is the goal of the united states to spread our political beliefs across the globe, so that everyone had the same government as us? What for communism? What if the entire planet was a communist state? A fascist state? Would the rules in one part of the globe pertain to the other? Could a few select individuals contend with the desires and wants of the entire human race? Could a few individuals actually hope to represent the entire human race?
Perhaps governments only exist because other governments exist. Perhaps they exist just so some few humans can exert control over others. Perhaps they exist because we are a primitive and unverdeveloped race of beings. Perhaps they exist because we have lost a sight of what was ment to be.
I think if humanity as one big whole, the entire population of earth, were able to 'step outside' the big picture and take a look, we would see that we dont need others to make the rules for us. We dont need 'things' to survive. We dont need simple pleasures to survive. We dont need a government to manufacture, or aid in the manufacture of things for us. We could just get along. The big picture is, that in the end it doesnt really matter. That in mind, conflict needs no outside force. Chaos and order are one in the same, and will resolve each other. Government is not necessary. Perhaps the primitive really wasnt so primitive.
I think the closest thing to a real government was the greek democracy, in that small towns of people decided what was best for themselves. It is in large populations that government because more of a depressant rather than a guide to humans.
Anyone up for a revolution? Life is so boring nowadays anyways.

We don't need government. It exists because of the seven deadly sins. These are universal among humans despite one's particular belief system...which is why governments exist across the world.

So your saying we need an institution of men (and women) to set rules and guidelines for other people? It doesnt seem very effective to me.

how else do u propose we retain our current level of saftey, security, affluence and intelligence(with out public schools we'd be an even dumber group of beings).
if these are not things you value then i suggest you grab some essentials from your local sporting goods store and move into the middle of nowhere in alaska or something and live off the land. You'll be far enough away that the evil government wont be able to effect you.
I believe the original purpose of the govt. is to protect the absolute rights of human beings.
[ 09 July 2002: Message edited by: Im Delayed ]

Originally posted by Im Delayed:
how else do u propose we retain our current level of saftey, security, affluence and intelligence(with out public schools we'd be an even dumber group of beings).
if these are not things you value then i suggest you grab some essentials from your local sporting goods store and move into the middle of nowhere in alaska or something and live off the land. You'll be far enough away that the evil government wont be able to effect you.
I believe the original purpose of the govt. is to protect the absolute rights of human beings.

If it weren't for governments what would we be protecting ourselves from? Affluence...who the fuck needs affluence? Intelligence is gained by those who seek it regardless of their environment or living situation.

I think government is needed in some forms. People, unfortunately, cannot uphold rules for themselves, as we see with high murder and rape rates, burglaries, etc. Those who are not strong enough to attempt to fight back themselves need to be protected. Someone needs to be there to keep people from going out and being... well... evil.
I don't think we need the government for most things it's used for today. Trade laws, drug laws, running sneaky underhanded oil deals, grr.

I don't know how serious you are about following Christianity in the way the Bible describes it, but if you do want to address the issue of government from Christian point of view you cannot ignore the Bible (and can't say that the Bible is written by men, as this is directly anti-Christian and therefore doesn not represent Christianity). So, if we agree that the Bible is the Word of God, we can look into it to see what it says about the government and official establishments of power of man over man.
Well, Jesus himself said that give onto Ceaser that which is his and give onto God that which is God's. This is a basic division that says that there should be government and that government deserves what it asks.
Furthermore, there are many verses all over the Bible, and some specific ones in the Romans that simply say that all man power on earth is ordained by God and that to question it is to rebel against God and to admit that God was wrong in selecting the government (with the only exception being government that prevent religious expressions, which are satan ordained basically). The Bible is very clear on the point of governments - you have to except and follow them while you are here on earth. In the kingdom of God we'll follow God but on earth we have to follow men that God has given the power to via their position in the goverment.
To me this is a very sad state of things. I attended Bible school and was even suppose to become a teacher of some sort, but I just can't except these points about the government. This right here is the single most important reason why I was pretty much turned off by religion; I still like many other things religion and spirituality has to offer, but the point about governments (and Christians' view of it) really is pretty tough to like, imo.

The only rules that are needed are our basic instincts for right and wrong. These are also pretty much universal. Those who commit acts that violate the basic rights and respect each human deserves will be get what is coming to them in one way or another. What is wrong with living a life led by a belief in karma? Do we need humans to make fallible laws to impose a particular belief system upon the masses?

If it weren't for governments what would we be protecting ourselves from? Affluence...who the fuck needs affluence? Intelligence is gained by those who seek it regardless of their environment or living situation.[/]
you need to get a clue if there is no law wuts to stop someone from coming into your home stealing all your valuable raping your wife and slaughtering your children while your tied to the cieling watching it all happening doused in gasoline about to be torched.
I agree not everyone needs affluence but i personally value clean running water, flushing toilets, electricity, cars , computers technology, if that stuffs not for you then like i said move to alaska live off the land.
how can the world continue to develope if all schools shut down except private institutions and all public libraries shut there doors.....i dont know what your on but the world would be drastically different people would be significantly less intelligent there would be no progress. And how is it that your going to seek out knowledge when your busy defending yourself from the uneducated folk that survive only by taking what others have.

^^Obviously we differ greatly in our view on this topic. In my opinion you seem like one of the vast majority who are the source of the problem. Those who are constantly focused on material posessions and things worldly. Does all of this really matter? No. How short life is!
[ 09 July 2002: Message edited by: SgtD82 ]

Originally posted by SgtD82:
^^Obviously we differ greatly in our view on this topic. In my opinion you seem like one of the vast majority who are the source of the problem. Those who are constantly focused on material posessions and things worldly. Does all of this really matter? No. How short life is!
[ 09 July 2002: Message edited by: SgtD82 ]

so basically you'd prefer if we all lived off the earth and formed little tribes and shared food and farming responsibilities and worked all day long to just attain enough of the essentials so that we could stay alive? If this is your idea of enjoying life then please like i said stop bitching about the govt. and go live in alaska or the rainforest.
if your arguing that the government has its nose in too many aspects of our lives i totally agree with you there. I do see the govt. slowly stripping us of the freedoms, rights and principles which our founding fathers based this government on.

Xplore said:
Well, Jesus himself said that give onto Ceaser that which is his and give onto God that which is God's. This is a basic division that says that there should be government and that government deserves what it asks.
which, assumes that the bible we read today is the word of christ? (however that is for another thread methinks....?)
Im Delayed ranted:
If this is your idea of enjoying life then please like i said stop bitching about the govt. and go live in alaska or the rainforest.
well, if the governments of the world weren't destroying the rainforests and lovely alaska then that would be a good choice, wouldn't it? unfortunately that's not the case... so in the wise words of atari teenage riot:
"it's time to live and it's time to die, it's time to live - Revolution action! what we wanna go for! revolution action"

Originally posted by Im Delayed:
so basically you'd prefer if we all lived off the earth and formed little tribes and shared food and farming responsibilities and worked all day long to just attain enough of the essentials so that we could stay alive? If this is your idea of enjoying life then please like i said stop bitching about the govt. and go live in alaska or the rainforest.
if your arguing that the government has its nose in too many aspects of our lives i totally agree with you there. I do see the govt. slowly stripping us of the freedoms, rights and principles which our founding fathers based this government on.

That style of living is not what I had in mind...even though I would like to experience it for a couple of years. Freedoms, rights, and principles that our government was founded by and is based on? You mean like sexism, racism, religious intolerance, and hypocracy? Governments were created in order to keep a certain group in power and indulge in the seven deadly sins. Therefore, governments created by people are inherently corrupt. Some argue the point that communism in particular is an excellent idea but will not be able to be put into practice because those in charge would take advantage of those not in charge...I spread that same argument to every economic and social system.

Originally posted by cactusgenie:
Xplore said:
well, if the governments of the world weren't destroying the rainforests and lovely alaska then that would be a good choice, wouldn't it? unfortunately that's not the case... so in the wise words of atari teenage riot:
"it's time to live and it's time to die, it's time to live - Revolution action! what we wanna go for! revolution action"

i never once stated or implied that i supported the governments actions or that i even trusted our govt. I agree with you 100% that our govt is fucked up however i am arguing that no government is not really the best route for societ and the world as a whole. I explained very good reasons how in theory a government run properly would be able to accomplish the important tasks necessary to protect the individual rights of its citizens.

That style of living is not what I had in mind...even though I would like to experience it for a couple of years. Freedoms, rights, and principles that our government was founded by and is based on? You mean like sexism, racism, religious intolerance, and hypocracy? Governments were created in order to keep a certain group in power and indulge in the seven deadly sins. Therefore, governments created by people are inherently corrupt. Some argue the point that communism in particular is an excellent idea but will not be able to be put into practice because those in charge would take advantage of those not in charge...I spread that same argument to every economic and social system.

I am not quite sure what country your from but I am 100% positive religous intolerance was not what the US was built upon. If i am not wrong i believe the first settlers fled england due to england's religous intolerance. The settlers had new ideals such as religious freedom, freedom of speech, free enterprise capatalism. Basically the freedom to persuit your own happiness without obstructing others right to the same. Sexism and racism is not government related, centuries and centuries molded most of the worlds societies to a mindset where to some extent women and other races where never on the same level as the european male. Obviously a constitution cannot change how everybody thinks in such a short period of time. And yes the system worked for a while the govt. protected the rights and freedoms of its citizens and as time went on corruption seeped in and this also was not the govt fault it was the crooked politician.
To sum it up The fundamental ideas which the us was founded are entirely opposite or do not match up with what you suggest. I am disgusted by your blatant anti american beliefs.
also i will not make a comment about communism or what have u i am not a supporter or a beliver in that govt. system.

^^Where^^
[ 10 July 2002: Message edited by: SgtD82 ]

when did i say i supported a dictatorship
?
i believe i only supported the government as a means of protecting the rights of its citizens.

Im Delayed IS a dictatorship rofl.
you need to get a clue if there is no law wuts to stop someone from coming into your home stealing all your valuable raping your wife and slaughtering your children while your tied to the cieling watching it all happening doused in gasoline about to be torched.
rofl
without any governing force, there would be no wives, no gasoliene, no children to 'own,' no cieling...eh nm its not even worth it.
King? I thought we were an autonomous collective? - old lady from 'The Holy Grail'

Agreed...
It is the govt. forces that have created the timid/sheltered/reserved societal base that we live in today.
It is the govt. forces that influence people to bottle themselves and retain themselves.
From this bottling effect comes an increasing struggle and drive to 'break out'.....hence drug use is quite prevelant. Hence bad parenting is quite prevelant because people never properly learn how to deal with their emotions and issues and it reflects onto their children and their relations.
The domino effect is in full effect, and it will continue until WE change as a unit, and lose our selfishness and possessiveness.
No one really says it, it just happens this way because we are blinded into our current state of society due to the rulings/laws that live overhead and in the back of our minds at all times, and in all places. We are told we have wings, but those wings only work when they are flying high for the sake of our govt's gain.
It is true that the only law that need learned is that of 'live and let live' > 'treat others as you wish to be treated'
Life is much simplier than this...it is money and materials that make it seem so complicated.
We weren't meant to live this way...and it is starting to catch up with us now after a couple of centuries of rigid pursuit of this power/greed state of life.
The mental state of society is coming to the surface and it's not a pretty site. But I'm sure they'll come up with some good drugs to fix all that....right?!

Life is much simplier than this...it is money and materials that make it seem so complicated.
We weren't meant to live this way...and it is starting to catch up with us now after a couple of centuries of rigid pursuit of this power/greed state of life.
well said. i think its only people who do drugs who have the ability to see through the everyday meaninglessness of it all. i mean, we live by rules that are all made up. the government could do whatever they wanted to e.g. bush and his dodgy afghan oil pipeline, and no-one can do anything about it.