PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine Pills



AnonymousAsker
25-08-2010, 21:22
Hi everybody.

Question here hoping people can help. So, was wondering if anyone knows what may be the possible negative consequences of taking caffeine pills (no doz, vivarin) daily - for years on end...?

basically, it all started in high school - i began smoking weed fairly regularly, never was a drinker, now or then, and so if a group of friends was going out and i knew i would be smoking, i would get so incredibly tired that i would take a caffeine pill beforehand, to really enjoy being stoned. sounds kind of retarted but well i did it. i never ever felt like a huge energy boost from the caffeine though, it would just prevent that extreme tired crash. i was very athletic back then, very fit, healthy - and somehow though ended up taking these pills every day. one in the morning (200 mg caffeine). Never drank coffee, still dont. but, drink quite a bit of soda. love it, cut back when i can, but overall just cant let the soda habit go. and overall, have always felt like caffeine just doesnt have the same effect on me as it does others - from the first time ive ever had it. ive had espresso and fall asleep right after - just not sensitive to it. im a nautrally high energy person, if thats relevant.

ANYWAY - so it recently occured to me that i am 24 years old - and i have had my share of drug use issues - opiates for a abt two years, got off those, still smoke weed, have a drink now and then. overall im healthy - recently quit smoking cigarettes after 7 years. the one thing though that has lasted alll these years - i still pop a no doz every single morning. and it occured to me ive been doing this for almost a decade now. its a staple item on my shopping list. and i never think twice about it.

every once in a while though i worry that this is prob not the best thing... i see doctors regularly and always get a clean bill of health. and i always say to myself what the difference between this and someone who has a coffee every morning? but lately i have a new high pressure job and find mysefl having more than one a day - and like i said, it doesnt do much of anytihng, except give me that "ok im awake for the day" feeling. no extra energy or motivation. but a little something - just like coffee.

I've lately been trying to really improve my habits, sleep better, eat better, etc. and i want to address this - there are days of course that i dont take them because its a lazy day in bed, and i feel of course, tired - but to be expected on a lazy day and caffeine withdrawal is real. SO, does anyone have any info to help me decide if this is a habit i should be more concerned about? it hasnt had any negative consequences on me yet - but i just feel like i should address it after all these years. its become such an insidious habit/part of my routine i cant even imagine actually stopping - particularly since it seems so utterly harmless.

thoughts?

PS - if anonymous posts can be moved, as i think they can - mods please move this to get most appropriate answers. Thx

Chaos Butterfly
31-08-2010, 05:11
shifting from anonymous posting to Healthy Living.

Downloader08
31-08-2010, 09:37
Hey Anonymous, lucky for you caffeini abuse does not really have any detrimental effects on the body. However, if you have high blood pressure or a history of cardiac issues in your family the amounts that you are taking could potentially lead to some problems.

While caffeine is relatively benign, it is still a psychoactive substance which leads to dependance (although limited) and essentially is not needed. With the amounts that you're ingesting, I would probably have to recommend to cut back a little, and try other things to get your energy up (for example, certain foods, exercise etc).

So, all in all, you don't have to stop your No-Doz, but if you are concerned then perhaps give it a little break and see if you can manage without them. You don't really have much to worry about. Personally I have at least 2 cups of coffee a day, and I haven't noticed any detrimental effects.

Anyway, just my 2 cents :) Take care mate

Legerity
01-09-2010, 15:50
I'm guessing that would be the equivalent of drinking quite a large coffee in the morning. I go through periods of being a caffeine fiend and drinking too much, which significantly affects my well-being. But the equivalent of one big coffee in the morning is not a huge amount of caffeine...

If you are bothered by the fact of needing it in the morning then I would say just get rid of it. I know I wouldn't want to have to take a pill to wake up, even if it is only caffeine. But when I do cut it out I'm literally tired for a week or two, it can really have more of an effect than you think.

HigherAwareness
01-09-2010, 20:19
People have died from caffeine pills. No doze to be specific. I read about a college student in Georgia who dropped dead from taking no doze. However he had been taking massive amounts. As with many things moderation is key but I'm sure you already know that. Good luck :-)

darkbydesign
04-09-2010, 11:52
Hey dude. I can't see that it'd have any major negative impact on your health, except mild stomach irritation if you take it on an empty stomach everyday? I personally find it hard to start the day without a coffee in hand but its not something i can drink much off as it leaves me a twitchy unfocused mess if i do