• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Do you credit your spiritual/open mindedness from drug use?

sunEdltye

Ex-Bluelighter
I'd have to say a big hearty FUCK YES. Namely acid and weed have shaped the way I think and feel now and days. So much evil are related to drugs, yet so much beauty can be achieved also.

I think to an extent, yes. I certainly put more stock in that theory when I first started using than I do now. But, acid and shrooms do tend to turn one's world inside out.
I think more than the drugs I would attribute my open mindedness to my extensive travels (22 countries) and diverse living experiences (lived in Australia, Harlem NY, in poverty and in wealth). I think the more you get out and meet different people the more open you are to different ways of living life.
[This message has been edited by Blue Lava (edited 05 October 2001).]

^^
True.
Drug use is helping me too, my view has changed for good
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Sugar Ant (edited 05 October 2001).]

I don't credit the formation of my views to drug usage, but my first experiences with psychadelics definitely 'jarred loose' the ways of thinking I had and let me examine things in a different light.
------------------
A mystery inside an enigma wrapped in something orange and fuzzy....
"Ed Meese should be ass-fucked by an acid-crazed elk."-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
"This is what you get,
When you mess with Us."-Radiohead, "Karma Police"

I don't think drugs have changed my intrinsic characteristics but I am now more tolerant. I more readily accept other people's points of view (even if I disagree) without passing judgment. It is kind of hard to pin down how much is the drugs and how much is just maturing with age, but I would credit the drugs to be maybe 20% of the evolution.

Setting aside the effects a drug may have on a person, I think the social aspect of it does create more open mindedness. I mean, they are illegal and you shouldn't do them. Right? Well, if you do drugs then you have crossed a social and political barrier. You could be jailed, or scorned.
If you feel this is unfair, then you are aware of the unfairness in society and in life. Knowing this can lead to greater.... hmmmm.... appreciation of what other people may experience based on criteria that they too feel is unfair.
Okay, I'm really going off on a tangent. I guess part of the problem with answering a question like this is you must first determine what is meant by open mindedness.
[This message has been edited by Blue Lava (edited 06 October 2001).]

Absofuckinglutely YES!
Before drugs I wouldn't even acknowledge anything on a spiritual level. I still had philosophies about life and so forth, but drugs have certainly opened up a whole new wave of thought.

no.
I just added the mind candy to the equation a year ago.. I've always been spiritually open minded...
smile.gif

I think so. I think I've always been somewhat open minded, but drugs show you a glimpse of something else, a calmness almost.
An idea that things might not be as you see them. I stopped thinking so much and learned how to chill out more.

A combination of life events and a few key books I came across by chance have more to do with my openminded views than drugs, but I will definitely say that a few of my drug experiences DEFINITELY helped to mold my world view. I don't think you can experience things like ego-death and cosmic orgasm without walking away forever changed by it.
I would love to believe that psychedelics are somehow key to enlightenment. A magical elixir that will solve the world's problems. Sadly, I think one must already have a certain spiritual maturity to benefit much from most drug experiences.
Perhaps if drugs were used in a different context within our society it would be different?
Pure

No. They may have helped me along the way to see the world a little differently, but all in all, I have opened my mind by myself as to how I see things spiritually and with an open mind.
------------------
"How the fuck do you feellllll?"
AIM ~ FutureAeons
[This message has been edited by FutureAeons (edited 06 October 2001).]

I agree with u sunEdylte. Some would say that "God works in mysterious ways." But I'm too wasted to rember who told me that.

I always had some sort of "higher power" in my life.. now that I had stopped using I meditate everyday...something I negleted during use...But my drug use has opened up so many different doors in my spirituality that sometimes I can see things clearer..Like I know how to open my mind up...and go more inot depth with my self and well being.....some of my drug use was a beautiful journey through spirituality.
------------------
Everyday I will look into everyones eyes and with my smile I will send LOVE:)

drugs opened my mind to the fact that not everything is as it seems in reality, and not to take everything for granted that it is as it appears to me. also opened me to finding that there are so many feelings and thoughts stuck up there in my brain that i ever imagined.
aj the femme
------------------
the extra M is for MmmMmmmm
"Hell hath no fury like that of a woman scorned"
Be Good!!!

Have drugs shaped my spirituality? Yes.
All right, here's an old hippie talking, but doing LSD when I was 16, whatever, and for years afterwards - well, yes, it really created a sense of the interconnectedness of all things for me, the grand patterns, the glorious mosaics, the basic profundity at the core of life. More than anything else I ever did. And now with E, that's happening on an emotional level as well. Although as I'm writing this, I'm suddenly feeling like LSD is a profounder drug. OMG, I can't believe I'm reaching that conclusion, but...oh gosh, looks like I'll have to start a new thread somewhere or other about this.

I give alot of credit to my open mindedness to my parents drug use
wink.gif
...and mine as well...but they really shaped me from the ground up.

I think I was very open minded before drug use. and then after stopping using drugs I think my mind opened even further.
So I think, as someone else said, I could attribute my drug use to my open mindedness. Not the otherw way round.

my own drug use was the key that opened the door that i have been peering through the keyhole of for many years .and now that door has been unlocked and im free to enter and leave when i choose i feel that i dont need the key anymore .yet more and more doors have been found since then .I might just say that im content to look through the keyhole for a little while longer before i am tempted to turn the knob even thou im sure it is not locked .

I credit my drug use to be what broke me out of my shyness shell. As far as opening my mind, I have yet to see any changes since I started. However, this reminds me of some of my readings, specifically Robert Anton Wilson. Drug use may not open your mind, but it drops you into a whole other world.