• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Terrible side effects from opiates that I want to enjoy.

morning_bell

Greenlighter
Every time i take any sort of opiate (i have taken tramadol, oxycodone, and hydrocodone) the experience is just terrible. I hear a lot of people talking about how wonderful it is and i really wish i could experience it too. The side effects i get are usually MASSIVE headaches and difficulty going to the bathroom. Also, ITCHING. I itch a lot. Is there any way to alleviate these symptoms so that I can fully enjoy the recreational value that opiates have to offer?

Smoke cannabis along with the opiates, it will relieve some of the symptoms.

i've never tried it, but certainly will. is there anyone else (someone who enjoys opiates) that has these same problems?

I wouldn't smoke weed with opi's until you know you can handle it...the itching can be resolved with a antihistamine but personally I wouldn't take one cause I like the itches...I'm not sure why you get a headache if your taking hydrocodone b.c hydrocodone is paired with asprin

take some Promethazine about 45 min before taking the opiate. It will help a lot with the itching and will also potentiate the effects. As for the headache, maybe try taking something like Ibuprofen or Naproxyn beforehand to see if it helps.

promethazine isnt over the counter and since he is already eatin norcos or vicodin i wouldnt eat any extra asprin..

morning how much of each drug do you usually take?

I wouldn't smoke weed with opi's until you know you can handle it...the itching can be resolved with a antihistamine but personally I wouldn't take one cause I like the itches...I'm not sure why you get a headache if your taking hydrocodone b.c hydrocodone is paired with asprin

first off i'll say, taking opiates with an antihistamine, is bad advise because antihistamines like diphenhydramine (aka benadryl) causes a huge increase in respiratory depression and in general central nervous system depression, that said it's a dangerous combination for anyone who is inexperienced with narcotics like morning bell, and experienced users as well. BAD ADVISE. ALSO that combination will increase the urinary retention 10x .................. listen up cause i know what i'm talking about here.
ALSO hydrocodone is sometimes prepared with asprin, but it's not all that common, almost all of the time it's prepared with acetaminophen (aka tylenol, or APAP)

and taking more then 1gram of APAP in 4 hours is NOT good, and no more then 4 grams (4000 mg) a day.

taking opiates with antihistamines will potentiate the CNS side effects, so take half dose if you going to do this, and will increase urinary retention greatly as i have already said.

if you want to enjoy opiates responsably, with the reaction you have, i would say try different ones, but be very very careful, this is a touchy subject because its very dangerous. BE CAREFUL. different opiates may cause MORE or less side effects. the newer drugs like oxycodone are supposed to have less side effects, but it's all up to your body chemistry. hydrocodone usually causes more histamine release (i.e. more pruritus aka itchyness). as for the urinary retention , that is something that will only get worse. deal with it.

fentenyl will probably have less side effects with you.. but that is only for opiate tolerant people
it's very potent and dangerous for an opiate naive person.

dude be careful, don't take opiates lightly, research everything , and make sure you know what your doing.

also be careful when listening to these other posters, because they are clearly not exercising caution.

Last edited:
man taking a little bit of benedryl with dope isnt that big of a deal, a lot of times dealers even use it as a cut. Now if youre taking huge doses of both thatd be a different story.

OP, maybe youre just one of the percentage of people that cant process opiates very well.

most dope around here seems to be cut with diphen. idk about promethazine i think that might be dangerous for a beginner. start 50 mg benadryl see if it helps and if you forget to breathe or anything.. then adjust the dose. it can be a big help with social situations and itching. it will make it hard to pee. drink lots of water and maybe make an effort to eat more fiber for number 2 (lol) idk about the headaches. i get light ones in the back of my head every now and again but nothing some aleve wont fix. never got "really bad" headache except with cotton fever. maybe just stick to smoking pot?

I'd recommend taking the opiate with some food if your getting sick a lot, and also maybe lowering your dosage or eating it instead of snorting it. Pot usually helps me avoid headaches afterwards, and I personally don't mind the itching, just got use to it after awhile.

Make sure you continue to eat well, drink a lot of water, and pop some benadryl/diphenhydramine to take care of the itch. I would be surprised if you still had negative symptoms other than constipation.

People don't realize that a large portion of the negative side effects they get while abusing drugs actually appear because of the individuals new lifestyle not because of the drug itself.

Those really aren't the worst side effects besides the headache. Least you're not getting violently ill and puking em all up :)

I was told by my clinic doctor to take DXM to increase potency without need to take more - which would reduce your COMMON side effects. He recommended some OTC cough medicine. A small amount of an antihistamine will help with the itching, but not much.

man taking a little bit of benedryl with dope isnt that big of a deal, a lot of times dealers even use it as a cut. Now if youre taking huge doses of both thatd be a different story.

it is surely something to take with caution , my 2cents

Difficulty pissing and the itches are normal side effects... but headaches? I don't know what to tell you on that one. Just embrace the itchies you'll like em soon enough.

Opiates do sometimes cause headache. I didn't really notice them so much with regular use (although when in WD sometime I got bad ones) but having taken a break from poppy tea for a long time an returning, I noticed that I did have a mild headache. It doesn't usually bother me because it's just not that severe.

Oh.... and the itchies? I scratched deeply enough to draw blood last night. I didn't recall that effect being so annoying but there was simply no relief. No sooner than I would finish scratching one area raw another place would itch. I'm still itching alot today :\

Last edited:
Itching is a common side effect of opiates and so is urinary retention and constipation. Headaches are sometimes, but not that common... Perhaps your allergic to opiates.

I had a "hangover" headache the morning after an oxy binge one time. It was a bad one but some advil took care of it. Are you getting them during or after?

Here's my 2 cents. Taking diphehydramine (25-50mg) about 45 minutes before you dose any opiate helps potentiate it and gets rid of any itching. Sometimes I get those weird headaches too, a hit or two of good weed clears it up quickly and also helps potentiate the buzz. I find it really hard to nod even with high doses unless I throw some bud or diph into the mix.

As for the bathroom issues, you can't do much about the constipation besides eating lots of fiber. When I was using 24/7, I'd have issues urinating as well. The simplest solution I've found is to take deep constant breaths while trying to force it out, it really works. When all else failed I'd hop into the shower and pee in there, the running water made it come out no problem. If the urinary retention is a major issues that happens every time you use, maybe opiates aren't for you.